In Soviet Russia, #2 pick chooses YOU

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Staying at #2, who do you draft?

• Robert Griffin III

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Matt Kalil

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Justin Blackmon

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Trent Richardson

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Morris Claiborne

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other (name him)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
libertadrocks said:
Yamahopper said:
Morris Claiborne.

Biggest game changer on the board. Will take half the field away in pass pro and lets the Rams roll the coverage to the opposite side to help shut down the passing game. Results would be Long, Quinn etc. would get many more sacks and let Williams run his blitz packages at will. And if the Rams find a few NFL quality DT's to stop the run this would go from a bad D to great one in one off season.

JMO

It came down to Claiborne vs Kalil for me. I agree with you that Claiborne would be a great addition and could be a game changer. I went with Kalil though. Just couldnt go with a CB at #2 tho.

A great shutdown CB(Revis, Bailey, Woodson, Nnamdi) is worth the number 2 pick, but a pretty good number 1 CB(Haden, Samual, Winfield, Finnegan) is not. Just not sure Claiborne would be in that top tier.

Justin Blackmon isnt worth the #2 pick either IMO. He isnt an Andre, Megatron, Fitz, AJ Green, etc. He'll be a solid NFL WR but not a elite/game changer.

W/ all due respect, man, the CBs you mentioned that are worthy of the #2 pick weren't even picked in the top 5 (sans Woodson). No doubt that in redrafts in their respective years they would go top 4, maybe 3. But the GMs that passed on them b/c they weren't deemed "worthy?" How did they feel?

You or I or anyone else doesn't know how a player will end up. Sure, we can pass on him now and go for the safe bet, but say Blackmon/Claiborne become superstars, would they be "worth the #2 pick then?" I guess what I'm saying is not to write these guys off too quickly. Cuz you never know...

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Angry Ram said:
libertadrocks said:
Yamahopper said:
Morris Claiborne.

Biggest game changer on the board. Will take half the field away in pass pro and lets the Rams roll the coverage to the opposite side to help shut down the passing game. Results would be Long, Quinn etc. would get many more sacks and let Williams run his blitz packages at will. And if the Rams find a few NFL quality DT's to stop the run this would go from a bad D to great one in one off season.

JMO

It came down to Claiborne vs Kalil for me. I agree with you that Claiborne would be a great addition and could be a game changer. I went with Kalil though. Just couldnt go with a CB at #2 tho.

A great shutdown CB(Revis, Bailey, Woodson, Nnamdi) is worth the number 2 pick, but a pretty good number 1 CB(Haden, Samual, Winfield, Finnegan) is not. Just not sure Claiborne would be in that top tier.

Justin Blackmon isnt worth the #2 pick either IMO. He isnt an Andre, Megatron, Fitz, AJ Green, etc. He'll be a solid NFL WR but not a elite/game changer.

W/ all due respect, man, the CBs you mentioned that are worthy of the #2 pick weren't even picked in the top 5 (sans Woodson). No doubt that in redrafts in their respective years they would go top 4, maybe 3. But the GMs that passed on them b/c they weren't deemed "worthy?" How did they feel?

You or I or anyone else doesn't know how a player will end up. Sure, we can pass on him now and go for the safe bet, but say Blackmon/Claiborne become superstars, would they be "worth the #2 pick then?" I guess what I'm saying is not to write these guys off too quickly. Cuz you never know...

I was just tryong to make a point that I dont see Claiborne as a upper echelon(top 5/Game Breaking/Takes any WR out of the game) CB. IMO when you pick a CB in the top 3, youre declaring he's that good. I dont see him as an elite CB, more of a really good 2nd tier CB.

Do doubt, you never know how these guys will turn out. Luck could be out of the league in 5 years and some obscure guy like Matt Cassel, who was a college back up, could be getting a franchise tag.

We are all just guessing really.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
libertadrocks said:
Angry Ram said:
libertadrocks said:
Yamahopper said:
Morris Claiborne.

JMO

I was just tryong to make a point that I dont see Claiborne as a upper echelon(top 5/Game Breaking/Takes any WR out of the game) CB. IMO when you pick a CB in the top 3, youre declaring he's that good. I dont see him as an elite CB, more of a really good 2nd tier CB.

Do doubt, you never know how these guys will turn out. Luck could be out of the league in 5 years and some obscure guy like Matt Cassel, who was a college back up, could be getting a franchise tag.

This is all random chance. Not one of these players are guaranteed a HOF career.
Look at the 09 draft teams could be kicking themselves for not trading up for Stafford when the Lions were shopping that pick. Others are thinking whew, good thing we didn't try to trade up for J. Smith. Who out of the top ten in that draft other than Stafford has really lived up to the hype?

There's maybe 10 top players in this draft,then the drop off starts. Some won't go till mid round cause of drafting for need. Best OL is DeCastro not Kalil. But G"s don't go that high. People want Blackmon but the same people say he's not Megatron, Too high for a RB but that RB will get 25 touches a game while the WR gets 6, so which has the best value.

What I base the second pick on is the drop off to the 33rd pick which is the Rams next pick and what the team has now. The drop off in talent at WR, RB, DT is less than it is for CB. Kilpatrick will be long gone. Kalil is better than Saffold, but not that much better. I can sign a RT for less than 2 mil. till I develop one.

If we draft for need the first couple rounds the rest of the draft has to be BPA to balance the roster.

Only the rams can screw this draft up is not trading out of the 2"nd pick.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yamahopper said:
libertadrocks said:
Angry Ram said:
libertadrocks said:
Yamahopper said:
Morris Claiborne.

JMO

This is all random chance. Not one of these players are guaranteed a HOF career.
Look at the 09 draft teams could be kicking themselves for not trading up for Stafford when the Lions were shopping that pick. Others are thinking whew, good thing we didn't try to trade up for J. Smith. Who out of the top ten in that draft other than Stafford has really lived up to the hype?

B.J. Raji, but I can see your point.