In Ray Ray i trust!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm gonna catch hell for this...but for some reason, i can just see him being put in there and playing a ton. If WW struggles, Ray Ray is goin to get his chance, i think this dude is the real freakin deal. Ive said it before and people jumped on me like i stole their chicken....But i just have a hunch that we are gonna have to extremely fast and athletic backers out there knocking the shit out of Kaep and Wilson!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, I'm obviously a Ray Ray fan. If he can get the playbook down, I see no reason why he wouldn't be rotated into the starting lineup. If Ogletree can do it, so can Ray Ray.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
X said:
Well, I'm obviously a Ray Ray fan. If he can get the playbook down, I see no reason why he wouldn't be rotated into the starting lineup. If Ogletree can do it, so can Ray Ray.

Except, Ray ( I refuse to call him Ray Ray) Armstrong plays the SAME position as Ogletree. I just don't see how you think they can get away with 2 "undersized" athletic LBs, and not see teams just running the ball down their throats.

For all of Ogletree's athleticism, we have NOT seen much of him in terms of stopping the run. And Armstrong has shown nothing in terms of taking on, and shedding blocks. He runs around them, and teams WILL exploit that in the run game.

Combine that with having TWO DE's who aren't exactly run stuffers, and it spells disaster.

A little perspective here people. Please!!!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CoachO said:
X said:

Except, Ray ( I refuse to call him Ray Ray) Armstrong plays the SAME position as Ogletree. I just don't see how you think they can get away with 2 "undersized" athletic LBs, and not see teams just running the ball down their throats.

For all of Ogletree's athleticism, we have NOT seen much of him in terms of stopping the run. And Armstrong has shown nothing in terms of taking on, and shedding blocks. He runs around them, and teams WILL exploit that in the run game.

Combine that with having TWO DE's who aren't exactly run stuffers, and it spells disaster.

I'm only saying if one rookie can do it (learn a playbook) so can another.

And why wouldn't you call him Ray-Ray? That's his real name.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Didnt Fisher say there was no WLB and SLB? That they were the left OLB and right OLB. So really RayRay could play on one side and Ogletree on the other if thats the case. I could be wrong ofc. I still think RayRay takes over for Dumbar next year if he leaves.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
X said:
CoachO said:
X said:

I'm only saying if one rookie can do it (learn a playbook) so can another.

Just my personal issues. The whole "Ray Ray" thing plays into the "cult hero" thing for me. LOL

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Tron said:
Didnt Fisher say there was no WLB and SLB? That they were the left OLB and right OLB. So really RayRay could play on one side and Ogletree on the other if thats the case. I could be wrong ofc. I still think RayRay takes over for Dumbar next year if he leaves.
First one to say he is Dunbar's future replacement, remember lol!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think, from what I've seen, Jonathan Stewart will backup WW, until Dunbar returns. Ray-Ray will backup Ogltree, IMO. And that is what they have been doing in preseason. They are both coming on well.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Tron added:

They say that but in the actual games I don't see it. Dunbar was not good in pass coverage and thus was hardly ever given that responsibility. Coincidence? I don't think so. Same thing at safety. I doubt we'll see McD playing much center field.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Barrison6 said:
First one to say he is Dunbar's future replacement, remember lol!

yea yea i know i know. i should get some credit though for predicting that as well before you showed me your post lol. As you said, great minds think alike :cool:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
albefree69 said:
They say that but in the actual games I don't see it. Dunbar was not good in pass coverage and thus was hardly ever given that responsibility. Coincidence? I don't think so. Same thing at safety. I doubt we'll see McD playing much center field.

True enough, just wishful thinking i suppose.

FLramFAN

Rookie
DR RAM said:
I think, from what I've seen, Jonathan Stewart will backup WW, until Dunbar returns. Ray-Ray will backup Ogltree, IMO. And that is what they have been doing in preseason. They are both coming on well.

I agree with this. I also think the concept that they aren't going to play a strong and weak LB position may be a little misleading. Though, it may be tougher with Dunbar out for now.

I think Armstrong is almost "insurance" for Ogletree. They are similar players and if the Defense is going to want to play with one, smaller, uber quick LB, who is more geared toward pass coverage and shadowing QBs like RG3, Kauperdink and Russell Wilson, then you better have 2 guys that can do it in case one doesn't pan out or goes out with injury.

I'm concerned, like many, about how the Rams will stop the run with Ogletree on the field along with a guy like Dunbar, when he returns. Let's face it, the Rams run defense has been very poor for a lengthy period of time. But... If you had Ogletree and Armstrong on the field, as starters, I think it would mean huge problems from a "stopping the run" perspective. Let's face it, neither of them is much bigger than Kauperdink and neither is as fast.

How'd you like to see those two guys starting at LB with Marshawn Lynch being the RB?

Something's fishy and I have a feeling the D is going to look a little different when Dunbar comes back.

A55VA6

Legend
I think Ray Ray could eventually end up a starter alongside James and Alec.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
El Juggernauto said:
I'm gonna catch hell for this...but for some reason, i can just see him being put in there and playing a ton. If WW struggles, Ray Ray is goin to get his chance, i think this dude is the real freakin deal. Ive said it before and people jumped on me like i stole their chicken....But i just have a hunch that we are gonna have to extremely fast and athletic backers out there knocking the shyte out of Kaep and Wilson!
Damn it man give me back my chicken!

jjab360

Legend
FLramFAN said:
I'm concerned, like many, about how the Rams will stop the run with Ogletree on the field along with a guy like Dunbar, when he returns. Let's face it, the Rams run defense has been very poor for a lengthy period of time. But... If you had Ogletree and Armstrong on the field, as starters, I think it would mean huge problems from a "stopping the run" perspective. Let's face it, neither of them is much bigger than Kauperdink and neither is as fast.
Dunbar isn't bigger or faster than Ogletree or Armstrong, so what's your point?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Im calling it now. RayRay will be starting alongside Ogletree by season opener next year. Bank on it baby!!!! (No im not crazy!!!!)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
FLramFAN said:
DR RAM said:

I agree with this. I also think the concept that they aren't going to play a strong and weak LB position may be a little misleading. Though, it may be tougher with Dunbar out for now.

I think Armstrong is almost "insurance" for Ogletree. They are similar players and if the Defense is going to want to play with one, smaller, uber quick LB, who is more geared toward pass coverage and shadowing QBs like RG3, Kauperdink and Russell Wilson, then you better have 2 guys that can do it in case one doesn't pan out or goes out with injury.

How'd you like to see those two guys starting at LB with Marshawn Lynch being the RB?

Something's fishy and I have a feeling the D is going to look a little different when Dunbar comes back.

Actually, we are fairly stout in the middle and once a RB starts to bounce it outside, smaller LBs are at far less of a disadvantage. Hell - JJ steps up and hits RBs, why couldn't Tree or Ray? Even on Marshawn, they still outweigh him. I realize that it would be nice to have more mass at point of contact but you also have to get to that contact point in time.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
jjab360 queried:
Dunbar is far superior to Ogletree and Armstrong when it comes to taking on blockers and stopping the run IMO.

X said:
CoachO said:
X said:

I'm only saying if one rookiean do it (learn a playbook) so can another.

His mama name him Ray-Ray. I'm gonna call him Ray-Ray. :mrgreen:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
jjab360 queried:
Dunbar is far superior to Ogletree and Armstrong when it comes to taking on blockers and stopping the run IMO.

And this is after HOW many games? I'm not even suggesting Ray Ray should start - au contraire mon frere. But think about how the LBs are used in this defense. Often times there is only one LB on the field as it is. So if, let's just say, RR is on the field as a LB instead of CB TJ, what's the rub? In many cases, we may be better suited to have a LB that plays about as fast as a safety on the field instead of TJ. Personally, I like Ray Ray's tackling ability better and he can cover a TE AND step up in to take on a RB. In cases where we only have one LB on the field at any given time, I think we all ought to get used to the idea that his name is likely to be Ogletree - not Dunbar.