In Memorium...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember in my 20's I would probably stop reading this post right after the old guy writing it started talking about the good old days. It's one of those truths that is unpopular with those in the prime of their lives because it's not happening to them, they think. I remember when I was in my thirties, my Dad responded to my comment that "why do they ascribe a cause of death when someone old dies? Their body wore out and that's really why they died...not a heart attack or cancer or...you pick the cause." My Dad grew serious suddenly and said, "You'll regret those comments later in life."

Well, I wasn't wrong back then exactly, but he wasn't wrong either. I watch YouTube a lot and you know the AI pegs me for my age and interests. Strange history, videos of the the long ago Edwardians. Strange habits of death family photo portraits (the living posing with a a recently dead child, parent, etc...). The AI knows my approximate age and "In Memorium 2020 (different years)" shows up in my recommendeds. Different famous people who died during the year who you had forgotten about. It doesn't always have to be the old and sick, but also suicides and accidental deaths. Often the pictures are of them when you last saw their image in healthier days. For many, my first thought was "they were not that old!" Then you start doing the math and realize that most of them were at least a decade older than you and you're closing in on 60.

I remember joking about the Rolling Stones for the "Tattoo You" tour in 1981, being so old that they must use walkers to get on stage. I think Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are still alive (wtf!). But then Eddie Van Halen dies and all you remember is the young guy shredding a guitar solo in "Hot for Teacher," in the 80's. Or that the members of ZZ Top looked old and cool in the 80's....what about now? Tanya Roberts died this year and I hadn't thought about her in years and she died in her 60's. It's sad when you see a person who died and think, *whelp, I beat them in the age count. lol.

Of course it makes you consider your own mortality as well as those you love. I'm a geneologist and no @Merlin this has nothing to do with old rocks! When I started, I couldn't tell you who my paternal greatgrandfather was and my Dad didn't even know who he was when I asked him. Dad did give me this but he had no idea whose it was....
Denson's Orchestra.jpg

I discovered after getting my grandfather's birth certificate that his father died before he was born. I've been reasearching my family tree for 20 years and I learned that Great Gramps died of spinal meningitus and never knew that he would have a son. I have since learned so much about him and so many others, but all was lost from family memory. When the people who knew the dead, die, they were lost forever and that was always so sad for me to think about. Like an old graveyard is sad when you know that no one comes to their headstones anymore, because everyone is gone that knew them. Or when you look for a headstone and can't find it because part of the cemetery is overgrown with brush and trees and you can see aged limestone, half covered in dirt in the midst of the brush. When I discover long lost names of family, it's like finding a treasure nugget. Finding a picture is even better! All of my research is now digitized and stored on Ancestry.com. Old geneologists used to have boxes of documents and pictures gathered for years. When they died, family members shrugged their shoulders and often tossed it and all was lost because it meant nothing to them.

I never mentioned that the card above was my great grandfather's. Through old newspaper stories, I learned that he was a gifted singer and pianist and briefly had his own orchestra. He thought he would live forever, I suppose, and had this business card made.

For the few of you still reading,( ya bunch of old codgers) remember to take a moment and just be. Practice living in the moment and raise a glass to Dave51 and ThorDaddy this weekend, In Memorium.

Last edited:

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'll tell ya, I'm 36 and read every word. And I really love what you had to say. I really don't find interest in knowing about my ancestors. But, my mother in law is 66 and loves that stuff. She just did the 23&me deal.

Cheers!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
For the few of you still reading,( ya bunch of old codgers) remember to take a moment and just be. Practice living in the moment and raise a glass to Dave51 and ThorDaddy this weekend, In Memorium

:beer2: Will do!

About 1.5yrs ago, I got to take a weekend vacation with pops in FL. Just the two of us. We shopped, cooked, ate, soaked in pools, and walked the beach. This was one of his timeshare places. He stayed longer than me.

The STL Blues played that weekend, we watched those games. That was the year they won it all.

We talked and talked. Being together non stop, we got to talk a lot of family stories. It was the best weekend I can remember.

Great thread, @Loyal

Side note but related to family history;

For people that have a lot of digital pics and videos... for years our family gave Christmas gifts of converting old family pics and videos to digital. But... I was always worried about losing these.

As solution; I endorse Western Digital Home Duo. This is a network based dual mirrorred hard drive. It is soooo easy to use. Safe backup of your memories!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I remember in my 20's I would probably stop reading this post right after the old guy writing it started talking about the good old days. It's one of those truths that is unpopular with those in the prime of their lives because it's not happening to them, they think. I remember when I was in my thirties, my Dad responded to my comment that "why do they ascribe a cause of death when someone old dies? Their body wore out and that's really why they died...not a heart attack or cancer or...you pick the cause." My Dad grew serious suddenly and said, "You'll regret those comments later in life."

Well, I wasn't wrong back then exactly, but he wasn't wrong either. I watch YouTube a lot and you know the AI pegs me for my age and interests. Strange history, videos of the the long ago Edwardians. Strange habits of death family photo portraits (the living posing with a a recently dead child, parent, etc...). The AI knows my approximate age and "In Memorium 2020 (different years)" shows up in my recommendeds. Different famous people who died during the year who you had forgotten about. It doesn't always have to be the old and sick, but also suicides and accidental deaths. Often the pictures are of them when you last saw their image in healthier days. For many, my first thought was "they were not that old!" Then you start doing the math and realize that most of them were at least a decade older than you and you're closing in on 60.

I remember joking about the Rolling Stones for the "Tattoo You" tour in 1981, being so old that they must use walkers to get on stage. I think Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are still alive (wtf!). But then Eddie Van Halen dies and all you remember is the young guy shredding a guitar solo in "Hot for Teacher," in the 80's. Or that the members of ZZ Top looked old and cool in the 80's....what about now? Tanya Roberts died this year and I hadn't thought about her in years and she died in her 60's. It's sad when you see a person who died and think, *whelp, I beat them in the age count. lol.

Of course it makes you consider your own mortality as well as those you love. I'm a geneologist and no @Merlin this has nothing to do with old rocks! When I started, I couldn't tell you who my paternal greatgrandfather was and my Dad didn't even know who he was when I asked him. Dad did give me this but he had no idea whose it was....
View attachment 44298

I discovered after getting my grandfather's birth certificate that his father died before he was born. I've been reasearching my family tree for 20 years and I learned that Great Gramps died of spinal meningitus and never knew that he would have a son. I have since learned so much about him and so many others, but all was lost from family memory. When the people who knew the dead, die, they were lost forever and that was always so sad for me to think about. Like an old graveyard is sad when you know that no one comes to their headstones anymore, because everyone is gone that knew them. Or when you look for a headstone and can't find it because part of the cemetery is overgrown with brush and trees and you can see aged limestone, half covered in dirt in the midst of the brush. When I discover long lost names of family, it's like finding a treasure nugget. Finding a picture is even better! All of my research is now digitized and stored on Ancestry.com. Old geneologists used to have boxes of documents and pictures gathered for years. When they died, family members shrugged their shoulders and often tossed it and all was lost because it meant nothing to them.

I never mentioned that the card above was my great grandfather's. Through old newspaper stories, I learned that he was a gifted singer and pianist and briefly had his own orchestra. He thought he would live forever, I suppose, and had this business card made.

For the few of you still reading,( ya bunch of old codgers) remember to take a moment and just be. Practice living in the moment and raise a glass to Dave51 and ThorDaddy this weekend, In Memorium.

Anything interesting about where Great Grandpa lived?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anything interesting about where Great Grandpa lived?
In 1881, widow Denson moved with nine adult children from a farm in Iowa across the Missouri river to Plattsmouth, Nebraska. There was opportunity there because the Burlington RR had shops and there was work. Half of the men worked in the shops and the women married some that worked there. Fred Denson was the father of my great Gramps. Fred's family was mostly moved to Omaha by 1912 and he was awaiting a transfer from Plattsmouth to Omaha and stayed in a hotel until the transfer. One night after a night of partying, he fell from a third story window and broke his fall on a large wooden ice box in the alley way. His leg shattered so completely from the fall, they had to amputate it in a Omaha hospital. Great Gramps worked for the Union Pacific in 1918 and took a busniess trip to Missouri over a weekend and then grew sick on the way home on a Sunday night. News reports say that he died within a day of getting home to his wife. She delivered the child 9 months later (Grandpa) at the Swedish Mission hospital in Omaha. Great Grandma remarried a Marine lifer and that step father was the only father my Grandpa ever knew.

Last edited:

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
What's funny is the other night I went on Ancestry.com and started looking up my family history. Both sides came from Germany and Ireland, with some Czech in there. I found out more information about my family in 2 hours than I had the previous 20. One thing I learned is that my dad's grandmother's family goes back to Maine in the early 1700s. That I never knew.

But yeah, take advantage of it while you can. I never got to take my dad flying. And I wish I had.