In depth, our new defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
http://www.scout.com/nfl/rams/story/1754259-wade-phillips-to-use-3-4-scheme

https://www.google.com/amp/www.turf...hillips-defense-3-4-robert-quinn-aaron-donald

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785275/article/phillips-switching-rams-base-defense-to-34-scheme?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env=&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Daround-the-league%3Bteam%3Dla%3Bconf%3Dnfc%3Bdvsn%3Dncw%3Bplyr%3Daaron_donald&p.ct=Around+the+NFL&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%23fff&p.bgc1m=%230964bf&p.bgc2m=%23053a74&sr=amp

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/02/0...cos-3-4-defense-and-one-gap-equals-dominance/

Here are some links that have yet to be posted here but let us know what is to come in 2017.

The common theme from McVay is to be a smart coordinator who takes the players available and give them a chance to do what they do best while figuring out how to do that in an attacking scheme that exploits the oppositions weaknesses and simplifies assignments for talented players (and even those with limited skills). This is precisely why Bellicheat has found success (even when Brady was injured).

In terms of defensive greatness, too little is known (minus the in-depth links I just posted), about how Phillips took great players and made them even greater. Many think that the Broncos were successful because they had Pro Bowl talents and therefore discount how Phillips made each of them more successful because he put them in positions to succeed (much like Phil Jackson with the Lakers' championship teams).

With that said, let's consider the Rams' current roster. Aaron Donald will still be playing predominantly a 3 technique but the scheme allows flexibility to have him move to the best mismatch against the O-Line. Brockers is the unheralded two-gap guy who is so necessary in the 3/4 with his size, power, and mindset. Easley, Westbrooks, Fox, Thomas, Smart, Trinca-Passat, and Walker all have different skill sets that can plug into whatever playcall Wade needs to thwart the offense. Has anyone else noticed the plethora of linebackers the Rams drafted/acquired? Ogletree and Barron fit what Denver had with
Marshall/Tevathan in terms of inside LB's who can cover (though I suspect the two aren't as good at stacking and shedding in the run game). Quinn and Barwin are slotted to fill the Ware and Miller roles (again, a step down, but much better than the NFL average). Hager can help v the run but could be a liability in coverage. Ekuban fits the outside rush/contain role. Littleton and Forrest have untapped potential I will trust Phillips to develop. As for the secondary, there won't be a NO FLY ZONE in LA, but as McVay has mentioned, it will be better than most expect. Johnson may not be worth his franchise tag, but he is a bigger, physical corner that can play both press and zone effectively. Webster is a familiar CB to Wade but played behind the talent he had in Denver and unless Gaines can shake his injury bug, will provide competent if unspectacular play at the other corner. Nickell is aptly named and an underrated signing who can be backed by both Gaines and Joyner in a pinch. Speaking of Joyner, he's finally going to get the notoriety he deserves at the FS/Nickel Hybrid slot that has made the Honey Badger an impact player. While our new JJ is being groomed as his backup, Alexander is going to get the opportunity to take the next level step in his development as a SS. The versatility he learned at FS last year along w his true strength as a SS will make him a solid piece in the Phillips DB puzzle. While Christian and Davis are the depth behind them, the pre-season will determine whether or not they are in Wade's crosshairs for development or replacement. As a fan, I root for both of them due to their talents, but defer to Wade for their ultimate fates.

With all this said, while there are obvious definciencies in talent v the Broncos of the past couple years, we have the makings of a top 5 defense here (barring injuries to key starters, primarily Donald who is absolutely irreplaceable). Combine this with what I will eventually analyze once we've seen the new offense in pre-season, and I'm cautiously optimistic about a playoff team in LA this coming season.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Combine this with what I will eventually analyze once we've seen the new offense in pre-season, and I'm cautiously optimistic about a playoff team in LA this coming season.
Best defense is a good offense. A good offense will score points and use up clock, both of which greatly help the defense. Keeps the D fresh.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm really looking forward to seeing this "D" for one Big Reason! In comparing this 3-4 to the last time the Rams had a 3-4 D, It was the LB's, Kevin Green and Carl Ekern etc. with a great secondary who made it all work! the front three weren't anything really special in the late 80's, Jack Youngblood was gone!
This time around the Front three with Donald and Brockers will combine with a pretty good set of LB's and what could be a decent Secondary! Things are Looking pretty Good!! Can't wait to see them in action!!!(y);):yay::yess:I just wonder which one of the LB's is going to be the Crazy Sack Master!? Quinn - Barwin - Barrin - who? Or will it be Donald!!?!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

https://www.google.com/amp/www.turf...hillips-defense-3-4-robert-quinn-aaron-donald

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785275/article/phillips-switching-rams-base-defense-to-34-scheme?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env=&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Daround-the-league%3Bteam%3Dla%3Bconf%3Dnfc%3Bdvsn%3Dncw%3Bplyr%3Daaron_donald&p.ct=Around+the+NFL&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%23fff&p.bgc1m=%230964bf&p.bgc2m=%23053a74&sr=amp

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/02/0...cos-3-4-defense-and-one-gap-equals-dominance/

Here are some links that have yet to be posted here but let us know what is to come in 2017.

The common theme from McVay is to be a smart coordinator who takes the players available and give them a chance to do what they do best while figuring out how to do that in an attacking scheme that exploits the oppositions weaknesses and simplifies assignments for talented players (and even those with limited skills). This is precisely why Bellicheat has found success (even when Brady was injured).

In terms of defensive greatness, too little is known (minus the in-depth links I just posted), about how Phillips took great players and made them even greater. Many think that the Broncos were successful because they had Pro Bowl talents and therefore discount how Phillips made each of them more successful because he put them in positions to succeed (much like Phil Jackson with the Lakers' championship teams).

With that said, let's consider the Rams' current roster. Aaron Donald will still be playing predominantly a 3 technique but the scheme allows flexibility to have him move to the best mismatch against the O-Line. Brockers is the unheralded two-gap guy who is so necessary in the 3/4 with his size, power, and mindset. Easley, Westbrooks, Fox, Thomas, Smart, Trinca-Passat, and Walker all have different skill sets that can plug into whatever playcall Wade needs to thwart the offense. Has anyone else noticed the plethora of linebackers the Rams drafted/acquired? Ogletree and Barron fit what Denver had with
Marshall/Tevathan in terms of inside LB's who can cover (though I suspect the two aren't as good at stacking and shedding in the run game). Quinn and Barwin are slotted to fill the Ware and Miller roles (again, a step down, but much better than the NFL average). Hager can help v the run but could be a liability in coverage. Ekuban fits the outside rush/contain role. Littleton and Forrest have untapped potential I will trust Phillips to develop. As for the secondary, there won't be a NO FLY ZONE in LA, but as McVay has mentioned, it will be better than most expect. Johnson may not be worth his franchise tag, but he is a bigger, physical corner that can play both press and zone effectively. Webster is a familiar CB to Wade but played behind the talent he had in Denver and unless Gaines can shake his injury bug, will provide competent if unspectacular play at the other corner. Nickell is aptly named and an underrated signing who can be backed by both Gaines and Joyner in a pinch. Speaking of Joyner, he's finally going to get the notoriety he deserves at the FS/Nickel Hybrid slot that has made the Honey Badger an impact player. While our new JJ is being groomed as his backup, Alexander is going to get the opportunity to take the next level step in his development as a SS. The versatility he learned at FS last year along w his true strength as a SS will make him a solid piece in the Phillips DB puzzle. While Christian and Davis are the depth behind them, the pre-season will determine whether or not they are in Wade's crosshairs for development or replacement. As a fan, I root for both of them due to their talents, but defer to Wade for their ultimate fates.

With all this said, while there are obvious definciencies in talent v the Broncos of the past couple years, we have the makings of a top 5 defense here (barring injuries to key starters, primarily Donald who is absolutely irreplaceable). Combine this with what I will eventually analyze once we've seen the new offense in pre-season, and I'm cautiously optimistic about a playoff team in LA this coming season.

You tell 'em, my Kool-Aid brother! I am so excited about this season, cuz it's gonna be good for a change!

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
Don't forget we had Gary Jeter on our Dline in the mid/late 80s 3-4, he had a couple monster years! That guy was always underrated

SierraRam

Recreational User

I agree - the talent is there. Barring injuries we have the makings of something special with Wade calling the shots. I know it's early, but I'm excited about the prospect of not being out coached!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Don't forget we had Gary Jeter on our Dline in the mid/late 80s 3-4, he had a couple monster years! That guy was always underrated

Didn't Mike Fanning take a bunch of crap .. I thought he did a good job compared to the pressure he had.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Didn't Mike Fanning take a bunch of crap .. I thought he did a good job compared to the pressure he had.

Fanning was okay, played solid for being follicly challenged at the age of 22.
upload_2014-6-20_6-57-21-jpeg.2054

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You better say this was photo-shopped!

I don't why it shocked me as a kid to see young people bald now with the shaved head combined with the Fu Manchu makes everything look much better.
jaybuhner01-600x431.jpg

fearsomefour

Legend
Best defense is a good offense. A good offense will score points and use up clock, both of which greatly help the defense. Keeps the D fresh.
Exactly.
The D was good last year.
The O couldn't do the simplest things to help them out. Pick up first downs to give them rest and help control field position. Take away all the points that count against the D on pic 6's and other turnovers....well, the D was actually better than advertised last year.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I had always heard baldness like this was brought on by certain Sexual habits! I know that's what happened to me!!:whistle::mrburnsevil:

As long as the hairline is receding because she's pushing you away, whereas if you're going bald from the middle, she's pulling you forward because it's not enough.