In Depth Goff Observations Game 3

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Just rewatched Goff with a little more depth and here are some things I didn't pick up on watching live

1. Repetitive play calling-The Rams ran this quick out play about 5 million times and the broncos were sitting on it, maybe there was a reason behind it but it was infuriating how they kept running the same play. Higbee or Quick would be the big slot the outside WR would run a clear out and the QBs read was the out. Rams ran that about a million times Broncos were ready for it after the third.

2. Dangerous play Calling- The play that got Goff killed is an incredibly dangerous call with backups in the game, but I have no problem with the call if its Lance Kendricks instead of Justice Cunningham. It was a pretty basic play action roll out. The whole line was blocking down like a run play and goff rolls out to the opposite side where he has no protection and his TEs are leaking into the flat. When the TEs leak into the flat they have to get a chip on the edge rusher because they are crashing down like its a run play or they have a free run on a completely unprotected QB once they read pass. Cunningham barely touches the guy on the edge and the edge rushers runs full speed untouched and decks Goff

3. Wasn't clicking with Higbee tonight- connection with Higbee was off and alot of it was bad ball placement and you can also attribute alot of it to the broncos just sitting on that damn play we kept running. He threw to far in front of Higbee on his first 2 quick outs to him and on third he threw behind him and should have been picked sixed. This has alot to do with timing. It can only be ironed out with reps and varying the calls.

4. Recognition is really coming along-There was another play were you can see Goff is really picking up concepts and his recognition is developing fast. Rams had a third 10 in the redzone higbee was backside of the formation inline, and the broncos were sending an overload blitz from that side, giving Higbee a free run down the seem to the endzone on what would be a tough play for the safety, and a potential TD. Goff saw it all the way, but there was a freaking false start threw the ball in that direction after the false start he wasn't happy, but he kept his game face on. Changes the whole narrative if Reynolds doesn't jump. Instead its 3rd and 15 and Brown cant hold on to a tough catch over the middle short of the sticks, It was a catchable ball gunned over the middle similar to pharoh's drop last game

5. Darrell Williams couldn't hold up- Just one example. 3rd and long Williams going against a guy who isn't even a natural pass rusher gets beat so bad Goff cant even get to his checkdown Higbee who is open and his receivers running past the sticks don't even have time to get out of their breaks. It was a simple speed rush and he just blew by Williams and Goff gets smacked.

Random note. The only time ive seen Mike Thomas catch the ball this preseason the defender was a few yards away. If he feels or senses any contact he's dropping it. Cant do that in the NFL

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I said to try and trade Williams last year while his stock was up. Now he is a candidate to be cut. Too bad.

Nice observations. Appreciate the effort. Time has been against me these days. I barely got to watch the replay yet.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Well done steal. I mentioned it in another article, but the offensive play calling was just awful and uncreative. Even for vanilla.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
That quick out play is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. the middle is wide open run some slants jeezus crimany.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I honestly thought Goff looked great. He was moving around in the pocket very well, kept his eyes downfield, made the correct reads and took chances over the middle. I don't see a big drop off between him and Keenum except experience. Goff is going to make mistakes just like every single rookie QB ever. I hope they play him with the starters in the 4th game and sit Keenum so Goff can prove he's better.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well done steal. I mentioned it in another article, but the offensive play calling was just awful and uncreative. Even for vanilla.
Fisher did say going in to the game that they didn't "Game Plan" this game. AND IT LOOKED IT!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
1. Repetitive play calling-The Rams ran this quick out play about 5 million times and the broncos were sitting on it, maybe there was a reason behind it but it was infuriating how they kept running the same play. Higbee or Quick would be the big slot the outside WR would run a clear out and the QBs read was the out. Rams ran that about a million times Broncos were ready for it after the third.
Man.....and they practice it almost twice as much...to me, it's almost setting someone up to get blasted...

That quick out play is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. the middle is wide open run some slants jeezus crimany.
who plans for 3-5 yard plays? How is that getting ready for the season? that's the play that should be "hidden"...and the middle of the field IS WIDE OPEN!?! The defenders were "cheating" on the outs...incredible...and no audible to send one hot receiver to the middle? the slant? slant & go? ummm, maybe it's all too secretive...you know...only for certain EYES... LOLOLOLOLOLOL:ROFLMAO:

Fisher did say going in to the game that they didn't "Game Plan" this game. AND IT LOOKED IT!
I get no game planning...but a lil creativity....come on...

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Just rewatched Goff with a little more depth and here are some things I didn't pick up on watching live

2. Dangerous play Calling- The play that got Goff killed is an incredibly dangerous call with backups in the game, but I have no problem with the call if its Lance Kendricks instead of Justice Cunningham. It was a pretty basic play action roll out. The whole line was blocking down like a run play and goff rolls out to the opposite side where he has no protection and his TEs are leaking into the flat. When the TEs leak into the flat they have to get a chip on the edge rusher because they are crashing down like its a run play or they have a free run on a completely unprotected QB once they read pass. Cunningham barely touches the guy on the edge and the edge rushers runs full speed untouched and decks Goff

3. Wasn't clicking with Higbee tonight- connection with Higbee was off and alot of it was bad ball placement and you can also attribute alot of it to the broncos just sitting on that damn play we kept running. He threw to far in front of Higbee on his first 2 quick outs to him and on third he threw behind him and should have been picked sixed. This has alot to do with timing. It can only be ironed out with reps and varying the calls.

4. Recognition is really coming along-There was another play were you can see Goff is really picking up concepts and his recognition is developing fast. Rams had a third 10 in the redzone higbee was backside of the formation inline, and the broncos were sending an overload blitz from that side, giving Higbee a free run down the seem to the endzone on what would be a tough play for the safety, and a potential TD. Goff saw it all the way, but there was a freaking false start threw the ball in that direction after the false start he wasn't happy, but he kept his game face on. Changes the whole narrative if Reynolds doesn't jump. Instead its 3rd and 15 and Brown cant hold on to a tough catch over the middle short of the sticks, It was a catchable ball gunned over the middle similar to pharoh's drop last game

5. Darrell Williams couldn't hold up- Just one example. 3rd and long Williams going against a guy who isn't even a natural pass rusher gets beat so bad Goff cant even get to his checkdown Higbee who is open and his receivers running past the sticks don't even have time to get out of their breaks. It was a simple speed rush and he just blew by Williams and Goff gets smacked.

Random note. The only time ive seen Mike Thomas catch the ball this preseason the defender was a few yards away. If he feels or senses any contact he's dropping it. Cant do that in the NFL

SYGurley..... "Another solid, observational & intelligent POST"

tumblr_nfixbr7Dr81rziwwco1_400.gif

TexasRam

Legend
Some good observations bro.

Definitely running a few of the same plays which the defense was able to then react much quicker to.

Fisher also needs to get out of the screen play on 3rd and long play mentality. That's what you do with a journeyman when your playing ball control. With a Goff you air the damn thing out.

Also, let's play to Goff's strengths. He throws a great deep slant as we saw to Quick in the KC game. He also throws the quick outs real well. But mainly he lives and thrives in that 15-20 yard range. With is quick feet movement in the pocket and release this is where he owns.

I realize Goff has no protection and questionable WR's but these passes better be on the menu in coming weeks. We seen some dam accurate throws down the field dropped by Cooper and Duke but once these kids get used to Jared's ball, it needs to be game time.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Brian Quick Mark II

RamWoodie

Legend
I...for one think the play calling was based on what the staff thought Goff could handle and be successful with. There's simply too many pushing for Goff based on feeling and not substance.

Goff has great potential...but we must let him mature into that...not just throw him out there. The staff sees the kid EVERYDAY...you folks see him on TV.

I like the proverb from "The Tortoise and The Hare"...SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE!!!

The Rams win if they take their time and let Goff gain maturity with that great arm he has. Throwing doesn't work if you don't read properly where to throw,

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I...for one think the play calling was based on what the staff thought Goff could handle and be successful with. There's simply too many pushing for Goff based on feeling and not substance.

Goff has great potential...but we must let him mature into that...not just throw him out there. The staff sees the kid EVERYDAY...you folks see him on TV.

I like the proverb from "The Tortoise and The Hare"...SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE!!!

The Rams win if they take their time and let Goff gain maturity with that great arm he has. Throwing doesn't work if you don't read properly where to throw,

I look at it differently. Despite Fisher's speech this team is not a 10-11 win team. They are a good QB away from that. So, do you waste time playing Keenum and hoping he can get you wins or just start Goff and get him valuable reps ASAP, so he is fully ready for next year, or even a late playoff push if things go right.

I like the second option. Play the kid and start his live game experience now

RamWoodie

Legend
I look at it differently. Despite Fisher's speech this team is not a 10-11 win team. They are a good QB away from that. So, do you waste time playing Keenum and hoping he can get you wins or just start Goff and get him valuable reps ASAP, so he is fully ready for next year, or even a late playoff push if things go right.

I like the second option. Play the kid and start his live game experience now
I can't agree. I've seen Goff enough to conclude he's not ready to face regular season Pro football. Playing Keenum is not "a waste of time" because he has enough experience to manage the game.

I also know enough to know that they'll be working Goff in practice enough to get him ready...but given what I've seen...Mannion is in front of Goff at this point.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I can't agree. I've seen Goff enough to conclude he's not ready to face regular season Pro football. Playing Keenum is not "a waste of time" because he has enough experience to manage the game.

I also know enough to know that they'll be working Goff in practice enough to get him ready...but given what I've seen...Mannion is in front of Goff at this point.

On a whole I disagree. Mannion has a good arm and seems to know the play's better. He looks more comfortable in the pocket too, but he is a statue. He doesn't move to find lanes as well as Goff and is not good at feeling and avoiding pressure. Goat's arm is just as good and he looks good enough to play under pressure. He won't get much better under center without live reps, unless the Rams want to wait until next year. Goff has shown an ability to thread the needle and make clutch throws. If receivers need to get used to how he throws, so they don't drop the ball (if that is the reason).then the sooner the better.

I don't see this as a playoff year. I see it as a 've Goff accustomed to QBing in the NFL year, and maybe get the line to gel more. Teams that reach the playoffs without a good experienced QB often don't get past round 1. If the Rams get there I prefer it is with Goff having 16 games under his belt.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

I've heard some good camp reports on Thomas. But the only time I've seen him is in the games and I was not impressed. His drops will far outweigh any positive plays he might make. I have to wonder if he'll even be on the final roster. If it comes down to him and Quick I believe Fisher will keep Quick. He might not be any better than Thomas but he can run block. That always has value in a Fisher offense.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Same old same old. Keenum gets to dump off to Britt, Kendricks and Cunningham behind the #1 oline while Goff has to earn snaps by playing behind a weak #2-3 oline and a gaggle of backup WR looking to earn a spot.
But when the ball leaves Goff's hand its just no contest that he is more electric.
Anyway, its Keenum game #1 and a failure of the staff that Goff isn't ready