Improved Ogletree + Williams' scheme = tougher Rams D/FSMW

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Improved Ogletree + Williams' scheme = tougher Rams D
By Nate Latsch
FOX Sports Midwest

http://msn.foxsports.com/midwest/story/improved-ogletree-williams-scheme-tougher-rams-d-061714

Alec Ogletree was having fun Tuesday, despite the sauna-like conditions for the Rams' organized team activity at Rams Park.

The Rams' young outside linebacker appeared to be in midseason form, turning the workout into another entry in his personal highlight film with two nifty interceptions, his first two picks of the team's eight OTA sessions.

"It was fun," Ogletree said.

Well, not for the Rams' quarterbacks.

And if the 22-year-old's play during OTAs is any indication, it won't be much fun at all for Rams opponents next season when facing a more aggressive defense under the direction of new coordinator Gregg Williams and featuring several youngsters on the rise.

The University of Georgia product was the Rams' rookie of the year in 2013, when he started all 16 games, led the team in tackles with 119 and forced six fumbles, which would have led the team if not for Robert Quinn's breakthrough season.

Ogletree also showed big-play ability when he returned an interception 98 yards for a touchdown in Houston against the Texans.

But here's the kicker: Ogletree admitted Tuesday that he wasn't always comfortable on the field, where the first-round pick was penciled in as a starter from Day One.

Now, it's like night and day, the linebacker said.

"When I first started last year I was kind of nervous just trying to learn the position and learn what I needed to do on the play," Ogletree said. "This year I feel more comfortable. I feel like I'm able to go out there and just play and have fun."

That's a scary thought for everyone on the Rams' schedule in 2014.

So is this:

"I think Tree is going to get better, despite the fact that he had a really good rookie year," Rams coach Jeff Fisher told FOXSportsMidwest.com.

Somehow, Ogletree didn't garner much recognition nationally for his outstanding rookie season -- perhaps because the Rams went 7-9 and finished last among the four teams in the loaded NFC West.

"I think I had a pretty good rookie year," Ogletree said. "I'm just looking to get better this year. I had a lot of growth last year with being able to be out there early and get a lot of experience under my belt. Toward the end of the season I became a lot more comfortable."

Ogletree wasn't among the top five in NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year voting, which defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson of New York Jets edged out Bills linebacker Kiko Alonso to win.

But with Ogletree's skill set -- the 6-foot-2, 245-pound converted safety is fast and aggressive when attacking ball carriers and has a knack for the big play -- it won't be long before the rest of the NFL is aware of him. Throw in Williams' X's and O's and Ogletree and his defensive teammates are eager to show what they are capable of in the new scheme.

"I think guys are ready for it," Ogletree said. "That's what we've been wanting to do. We've got a lot of athleticism. We've got a lot of speed on our team. Everybody on our team can pretty much run. With Gregg being so aggressive, we're able to put a lot of pressure on the quarterback."

Ogletree took about a month off after the season, then jumped into his offseason training program. He's spent most of his offseason in St. Louis working to get better.

He has seen some of that work pay off during the team's OTA sessions this month. "Just being more consistent in my preparation and out on the field getting lined up correctly and just communicating with all the guys so everybody's on the same page," Ogletree said.

Like his teammates making the leap from Year 1 to Year 2, running back Zac Stacy and wide receiver Tavon Austin, Ogletree can see the game slowing down on the field for them.

"You can tell a big difference from last year to this year," he said. "Just in OTAs guys are flying around just having fun. They're a lot more comfortable. Guys are communicating a lot more and just know what to do. It definitely makes a big difference."

As Rams opponents figure to become well aware of this fall.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Now there's a player that hasn't been mentioned much here at ROD as of late. He's already a heck of a player and only 22. Once the game slows down for him, watch out. Cannot wait to see our D in action!!!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Now there's a player that hasn't been mentioned much here at ROD as of late. He's already a heck of a player and only 22. Once the game slows down for him, watch out. Cannot wait to see our D in action!!!
MAN! Thinking about it just makes me giddy. I can't wait to see them in action. Young, aggressive, fast, talented, and well coached. I want to see them CRUSH the whiners and shecocks. Can't wait.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Ogletree seems like the perfect LB for williams to shape. This my friends should be fun to watch unfold.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really hope we have a top 5 defense here!
I may be getting my hopes up once again but I just don't see us not being in the top 5. Think we have a real shot at being the number 1 overall defense if Donald and Joyner transition well

ramsrams

UDFA
Tree needs to be better stopping the run. Big weakness last year, though he got better at it in the latter half.

Like the way he plays fast. Could be a good one.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
When we hired Williams the first two names that jumped into my mind were Ogletree and Armstrong.

Will see about Ray Ray. Jo L knows the defense a lot better.Rams still need to draft another LB next season early.
What is Armstrong strengths & don't give me winning the tour d' France,or drugs.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Ogletree throwback jersey will be in the mail as soon as my wife buys something she wants!
I foaming at the mouth!
I'm excited for pre-season, insane

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Dang I wish Les would have taken my advice and drafted Kiko Alonso. I KNEW he was gonna be a good one.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
"I think guys are ready for it," Ogletree said. "That's what we've been wanting to do. We've got a lot of athleticism. We've got a lot of speed on our team.

I guess he is saying that he, and others, weren't happy with the schemes and style that were used last year. How else can you read this?

Last edited:

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"I think guys are ready for it," Ogletree said. "That's what we've been wanting to do. We've got a lot of athleticism. We've got a lot of speed on our team.

I guess he is saying that he, and others, weren't happy with the schemes and style that was used last year. How else can you read this?
Agreed les I thought the same thing reading it

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tree needs to be better stopping the run. Big weakness last year, though he got better at it in the latter half.

Like the way he plays fast. Could be a good one.
Yup but I'm not worried. He's only 22. I think he will improve against the run and become a pro bowl player for us

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
What is Armstrong strengths & don't give me winning the tour d' France,or drugs.
I watched him at UM, and despite my homerism, he's definitely raw. He's got great athleticism, size, and strength, but he needs to be more disciplined on the field. I got the impression that he was kind of selfish while there (looking to make plays as opposed to being fundamentally sound), but that's probably easily corrected. He fits the mold that Fisher/Snead look for in football players. Freak athletes who need to be coached up.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I guess he is saying that he, and others, weren't happy with the schemes and style that were used last year. How else can you read this?
That's what I read into the statement.

fearsomefour

Legend
Will see about Ray Ray. Jo L knows the defense a lot better.Rams still need to draft another LB next season early.
I was just thinking how Armstrong could be used in blitz packages with his speed. Williams will use a lot of different packages and personal groups. I certainly dont know if Armstrong has matured to the point he will be on the field or not, just, the prospect of having Quinn, Long, Ogletree, Armstrong, Donald on the field at the same time....a lot of athletism for Os to deal with.

TommerK

Rockin' Rams Fan
Name
Tom
I watched him at UM, and despite my homerism, he's definitely raw. He's got great athleticism, size, and strength, but he needs to be more disciplined on the field. I got the impression that he was kind of selfish while there (looking to make plays as opposed to being fundamentally sound), but that's probably easily corrected. He fits the mold that Fisher/Snead look for in football players. Freak athletes who need to be coached up.
Agreed X. He was good on special teams, with the exception of a few penalties that cost us some big plays. He seemed to be more disciplined as the year went on. Hopefully he can build on that and become a big factor in the defense.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
My biggest concern with tree is his inability to shed blocks even when it is a back or smaller player. Hey everyone has something to get better at.