IMO, controlling the LOS on both sides of the ball

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Will be the rams only chance of making it in to the playoffs in 2014.

Problem is that there are huge holes at OG, C, and even depth

Rams will need to fill the void at OG and depth via draft while hoping B.Jones is able to fill the C position.

Robinson, Mathews, Martin, Lewan are the guys whose names have been mentioned with the rams. Im fine with any of those guys as long as Rams use another high pick on the OL to provide depth.

DL could use a quick pass rushing DT. Rams could use the 13th pick to select Donald. He would create havoc on the inside while rotating with Brockers/Lang...

Even if the rams don't select any of the names I mentioned above, point is the rams need to draft multiple OL early and even another DT/DE before the 4th round. Its going to be an uphill battle considering the division we are attempting to win

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I agree. The teams success depends on the lines. I'm confident with the DL getting the job done but the OL is another story. So many question marks with this group.

RamzFanz

Damnit
You guys are missing the obvious. You build on what you do well, DL, and dominate with that.

The OL needs help, but it isn't going to be the key to success. If you want to win in the NFCW, you have to have an unstoppable force on one side or the other. You can't have both. IMHO, you don't draft to be good everywhere, you draft to be unstoppable somewhere.

You guys are missing the obvious. You build on what you do well, DL, and dominate with that.

The OL needs help, but it isn't going to be the key to success. If you want to win in the NFCW, you have to have an unstoppable force on one side or the other. You can't have both. IMHO, you don't draft to be good everywhere, you draft to be unstoppable somewhere.

OK but can we be dominant on the O line and as good as we are now on the D line, draft Matthews at 2, trade up from 13 with a second round, take Robinson, take a centre in the 3rd. Strating O line:

Long / Robinson / Wells (or the third round pick) / Saffold / Matthews

Boom Sam has all day to throw, Stacy can run for 6 yards a carry.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
OK but can we be dominant on the O line and as good as we are now on the D line, draft Matthews at 2, trade up from 13 with a second round, take Robinson, take a centre in the 3rd. Strating O line:

Long / Robinson / Wells (or the third round pick) / Saffold / Matthews

Boom Sam has all day to throw, Stacy can run for 6 yards a carry.

Matthews and Robinson?!!!

My head would explode if that happened

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I think the Rams are "wanting" Mathews and Evans. However they can get that done.I wouldn't mind a draft of:

1a Mathews
1b Evans
2. Deonne Bucannon
3. Billy Turner
4th and beyond fill out the QB, CB, DL, RB, LB depths.

To get both Mathews and Evans in rd. 1... they might do both a slight trade down from #2 and then back up a bit from #13.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I think in this era you have to be strong on the OL and DL or you risk being too one dimensional and ending up with bad matchups against balanced teams. I do agree that in order to be a real force during the season and especially the playoffs you do need to have something that is damn near impossible to contain for an entire game. But IMO it goes beyond the LOS these days.

The NFL that used to be "run the ball and stop the run" has of course become "pass the ball and stop the pass" so OL and DL are critical, now more than ever. But beyond that, because every team is looking for guys who can protect the QB and guys like Quinn who can get in the backfield very quickly and be disruptive, the areas where a team can be a matchup problem is the next level of the passing game.

WR and DB.

IMO this is the "area of opportunity" for a team to get ahead of, or get a leg up on the competition. And I think it holds truer for the Rams versus most teams right now because of the division. In my mind it comes down to stopping the big plays and quick strike TD's while making the big plays and scoring TD's.......and that is how games will be won and lost over the next few years. And it's why I think guys like Harvin, our own Austin, DJackson and guys like that will be at a premium in the coming years. Not the 6' 3" 225 pound WR or the killer red zone target type. It'll be the guy who is a threat to make defenders miss and make defenses pay because they can uncork a back breaking play anytime, those types will become the most coveted type of player, not the CJohnson type or LFitzgerald type.

On the other side it'll be guys like Revis (when healthy and motivated LOL) and RSherman, guys who can erase your playmaker.

If I was a GM there is no doubt what I would spend money and draft picks on once I felt like I had my QB. LB's and RB's wouldn't be exactly be an afterthought but they would never be budget busters. Pass catchers, pass blockers, pass rushers, pass defenders, in that order and that's what would determine how I drafted and what I did during the FA period.

I think we are in the same zip code here, but maybe I lean a little more towards offense and you're more of a defensive minded guy.

LOL I'm all about the finesse.........

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think the Rams are "wanting" Mathews and Evans. However they can get that done.I wouldn't mind a draft of:

1a Mathews
1b Evans
2. Deonne Bucannon
3. Billy Turner
4th and beyond fill out the QB, CB, DL, RB, LB depths.

To get both Mathews and Evans in rd. 1... they might do both a slight trade down from #2 and then back up a bit from #13.
Yes, I call it the A&M strategy! Been growing on me.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
You have to know the war room must be intense with the OC and DC in there pining for their side of the ball to get the picks. I wonder if they have to put them on different sides of the room? :eek:

Simba

Rookie
Why do you think we are going to have problem with our C.?Wells as starters, Barnes showed he could replace him and we are waiting for the Jones's surprise.Is there a problem that I don't know?

PhxRam

Why do you think we are going to have problem with our C.?Wells as starters, Barnes showed he could replace him and we are waiting for the Jones's surprise.Is there a problem that I don't know?

cant stay on the field.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

Missing the obvious? You can't have both? Says who? Our D line is pretty damn close now. But we aren't going to win against SF or Seattle scoring 10 points. You do realize Bradford is one of the most sacked QB's in the league? Even if we're going to run the ball you need a good OL to do it.
We've got an old injury prone center and a LT coming back from ACL and MCL surgery. Saffold looks great at guard but we all know his injury history as well.
If we don't start putting together a good OL and one with depth we're never going to consistently beat any of the top teams.

I mean I get you want the 85' bears D but even they could score points.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Missing the obvious? You can't have both? Says who? Our D line is pretty damn close now. But we aren't going to win against SF or Seattle scoring 10 points. You do realize Bradford is one of the most sacked QB's in the league? Even if we're going to run the ball you need a good OL to do it.
We've got an old injury prone center and a LT coming back from ACL and MCL surgery. Saffold looks great at guard but we all know his injury history as well.
If we don't start putting together a good OL and one with depth we're never going to consistently beat any of the top teams.

I mean I get you want the 85' bears D but even they could score points.

You are correct!!! The 85 Bears could also run the ball on you all day long with an excellent OL and Sweetness, which of course was the NFL style those days. The D was amazing/elite/world class and got all the media attention but they were not lightweights on offense by any stretch. They scored the 2nd most points in the league that year and while the defense got a lot of scores compared to other defenses then and since then, that O got the ball into the end zone plenty too.

That was actually a well balanced team IMO. One of the very best all around I've seen, including the 49ers when they were spending like mad before the salary cap existed.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I would like to see this draft made up of safe, sound players. I'm not excited about taking chances this year.
Snead has done a great job of filling the holes with solid starters.
We still have a few starting positions available, but we lack depth at most positions. I would like to see some sound bodies in line behind our starters.

Injuries can pile up quickly, as we are all aware of.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Agree with the thinking, which is why my hopes for picks #2 and #13 are Robinson/Matthews and Aaron Donald.
Rams have shown that their DLine is capable of dominating on the edges with Quinn,Long,Hayes...but the interior could use a disruptor/high motor guy.

The OLine could dominate on paper, but it's fragile and thin in terms of depth. The front sevens in the NFCW are too good. Rams MUST add talent,youth and depth in order to be able to consistently, successfully dictate anything up front offensively IMO.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
You are correct!!! The 85 Bears could also run the ball on you all day long with an excellent OL and Sweetness, which of course was the NFL style those days. The D was amazing/elite/world class and got all the media attention but they were not lightweights on offense by any stretch. They scored the 2nd most points in the league that year and while the defense got a lot of scores compared to other defenses then and since then, that O got the ball into the end zone plenty too.

That was actually a well balanced team IMO. One of the very best all around I've seen, including the 49ers when they were spending like mad before the salary cap existed.

Jeff Fisher was on injured reserve that season with an ankle injury but spent his time assisting Buddy Ryan. Would love to hear some of his stories about his time with the Bears and Ryan.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Agree with the thinking, which is why my hopes for picks #2 and #13 are Robinson/Matthews and Aaron Donald.
Rams have shown that their DLine is capable of dominating on the edges with Quinn,Long,Hayes...but the interior could use a disruptor/high motor guy.

The OLine could dominate on paper, but it's fragile and thin in terms of depth. The front sevens in the NFCW are too good. Rams MUST add talent,youth and depth in order to be able to consistently, successfully dictate anything up front offensively IMO.
Spot on @Mojo Ram ! I totally agree.