I'm sorta bummed we aren't the team getting Richardson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I read a story on Fox sports about this ,funny it was on the page linked for the 12th man thread . They made the claim that he just didn't fit the Browns plans because he didn't fit the offense they were running.

IF we had wanted to do this trade in July and he'd have had the benefit of the last 9 weeks to learn our terminology,maybe....but IMO given where we are now in the season ,there aren't as many practice days from now till the end of the season as we've already had,so TRich NOW can't come close to the value of TRich when he can be integrated into the offense. Further we have't had injuries to our top backs who I think we are fairly satisfied with, Indy on the other hand did have a season ending injury to their starter and were going into the rest of the year with Ahmad Bradshaw as their starter,NOT HARD to see Indy being a far more motivated buyer than we, especially since they made the playoffs last year and see themselves falling backward if they don't again this year.

IF we were interested,I'd expect we weren't going to surrender a first ,I think Cleveland probably got the highest bid and it came from a team that needed him worse than we did.

We gave a 2nd for Marshal Faulk if memory serves and his numbers were exponentially better than TRich's he fit the passing game better,never fumbled, Indy got a fairly good back but they way overpaid and Cleveland has $6 mill in dead money in him next year, ya gotta want rid of somebody pretty bad is all I'm sayin'
Sometimes the best deals ya make are the ones ya don't.

Ebonemalone

Rookie
FRO said:
I think we are in need of a RB. Richardson is a extremely talented back who has the talent to be the best in the league. We have 2 first round picks, if the situation presented itself I would pull the trigger on the trade.
Ditto

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
LesBaker said:
3.5 per tote and injury issues going back to high school and knee issues from college.

No thanks to that and good luck Indy!

My sentiments exactly. He wouldn't have any holes to run through with the Rams anyway. Save the picks and get some good OGs!

The Colts line is not good btw. I am interested to see how he runs behind them.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Angry Ram said:
I agree for a 1st round pick having 2 of them the Rams could've used one for Trent and another on an OT, safety, CB, what have you.

He had over 950 yards, 9 TDs and that was w/ broken ribs. Meanwhile the Rams' 2nd round RB gets suspended a game and barely gets playing time.

I think it more bums me out b/c on this day the Rams got...Max Starks?? :yawn:
Oh so true. No way he's more than Barksdale's backup, but scary nonetheless.

V3

Hall of Fame
jjab360 said:
I'm surprised nobody else brought it up in this thread, but unless the Dahl restructure gave us enough space, I'm pretty sure we don't have the cap room right now.

I thought someone had. either way, you're correct. We have NO cap space so it would be impossible to make the trade.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm not, with how stacked that first round is supposed to be, I'd rather have two first round picks that allow us to potentially move up if needed to get who we like, similar to how we got Tavon Austin. Especially for an injury prone back who's on pace for what? 800 something yards? Granted it's early, but still... This is a passing league, unless it's another AP or Faulk, etc, I don't want to spend a first rounder on a running back.

WvuIN02

Starter
I dont think TR is as good as people say.

1) He is very injury prone, and as another writer pointed out, a Saban back from Bama has more wear coming into the league because they play so many snaps.

2) He is not explosive. He does not have the top end speed of a guy like AP, and is not worth a top 5 pick much less a first. Of all backs with 250 carries last year he was dead last in rushes over 15 yards. Is the Browns OL bad? Sure. Its not as bad as some though, especially on the left side of the line and center. Right side is bad, but there are plenty of worse lines. See Pittsburgh, its not even close. If he was Adrian Peterson? Sure. But he's not, not even close. Even at Alabama his long runs were usually trucking guys and not outrunning them and he isn't the home run threat that guys like CJ Spiller were who can take it the house on any snap from a run or pass. Guess what, this isnt Alabama where your entire OL is better than every person across from you (this is the problem with ANY player from Bama -- the NFL you dont play blue chips vs non blue chips every week).

3) He is a huge cap hit, and the Browns free up 20 million in unused cap space even with his 6.7m hit for next year. This gives them the freedom to get some free agent help at needed positions and pay the players they need to, as well as get whatever QB they want. Even if Jacksonville ends up with the top pick, the Browns can go into Patriots mode and deal next years 1 for more picks in 2015 and try to get their franchise QB then. Unless you have a Ravens 2000 defense (impossible with the flag football rules of today), you arent winning a SB with practice squad QBs like Trent Dilfer.

This was a smart move by Mike Lombardi and the Browns, and I hate that franchise.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
WvuIN02 said:
3) He is a huge cap hit, and the Browns free up 20 million in unused cap space even with his 6.7m hit for next year.

Not true. His contract was a 4 year/20.5 million dollar deal. 13.3 million of that contract is signing bonus. Money the team has already paid him but still has to be accounted for on the salary cap.

They're not freeing up 20 million in unused cap space. They're freeing up 7 million over 3 years.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So now this thread I can get behind. This is just discussing the trade.

Personally, I wouldn't like the trade for THIS team. I'm not keen on trading one of our first rounders - especially on a player that has not demonstrated enough value for the team that has watched him play and practice. A team BTW that needs offensive talent.

Now if we made that trade, I would question it but I would also have to hope someone like Snead and/or Fish knows something I don't. I know... That's a stretch but... They might just. :sly:

Anyway, I liked the possibility of TR DURING the draft. I just get a little uneasy with the idea of a team already wanting to dish their #1.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For those not willing to part with picks, revisit the Julio Jones trade. The Falcons gave up a ton. Fast forward to today, the Falcons got a steal.

And I know the rebuttal will be Snead and Fisher would do better. While that may be true, they still have Pead and Quick on their resumes and while there is still time for them to turn it around, for neither to be starting in their second year when the positions they play could clearly use upgrades is a bit disappointing. I'm not crapping one Quick and Pead, just being truthful. The overall point is every GM picks a bust, when you have a talented, young, relatively inexpensive player you make the move.

Also a lot of good debate on this thread. Quite refreshing after posting a lot at the other place.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Ahhh but we did get Richardson, Daryl in the 7th round. Let's see how he rolls with the punches. So far I'm not disappointed and Pead will get his. :cool:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I'm not! :)

Just a matter of time before my boy Lacy starts blowing up. Then we can move on from Trent.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000459834/article/colts-trent-richardson-not-traveling-to-foxboro

Colts' Trent Richardson not traveling to Foxboro

• 0ap1000000236552.jpg

• Trent Richardson insisted his Divisional Round benching wouldn't happen again. However, he didn't travel with his Colts teammates to face the Patriots in the AFC Championship.

Kevin Bowen of the team's official website reports that Richardson did not make the trip to New England due to personal reasons.

It's unknown at this time the specific reason for leaving the former first-round pick behind in the biggest game of the season.

Richardson's play never improved this season and his role was drastically diminished. He took one snap in the Wild Card round and was inactive last week. There was some speculation that Richardson's poor play and diminished duties were due to weight issues. The running back brushed off those theories this week.

Whatever the reason for him missing Sunday's matchup, this is just the latest in a long line of setbacks for the running back who has adamantly insisted he'd turn thing around in Indy.

The Colts will once again will lean on Daniel "Boom" Herron as the primary back with Zurlon Tipton as the backup.

Herron has proven to be a much better fit in the Colts offense. In two playoff games he has 35 carries, 119 yards (3.4 yards per carry) and two touchdowns. He also added 18 receptions for 117 yards. Herron is a tough runner with some big burst ability. His elevation in the passing game -- both blocking and catching -- has made life much easier on Andrew Luck the past several weeks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I have no clue if the Rams were contacted about the trade. I have no clue if they would be interested. If I were GM I would have traded our second first round pick for him in a heartbeat. The kid is only 22 and extremely talented. He rushed for 950 yards and 11 TDs as a rookie while being banged up all year. He would have been a great get for us. That being said who knows if we were aware of his availability. Great get by the Colts. They needed this after their first 2 games were disappointing.
To me, he looks no better than Zac Stacy.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One of the many instances where I was wrong.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000459834/article/colts-trent-richardson-not-traveling-to-foxboro

Colts' Trent Richardson not traveling to Foxboro

• 0ap1000000236552.jpg

• Trent Richardson insisted his Divisional Round benching wouldn't happen again. However, he didn't travel with his Colts teammates to face the Patriots in the AFC Championship.

Kevin Bowen of the team's official website reports that Richardson did not make the trip to New England due to personal reasons.

It's unknown at this time the specific reason for leaving the former first-round pick behind in the biggest game of the season.

Richardson's play never improved this season and his role was drastically diminished. He took one snap in the Wild Card round and was inactive last week. There was some speculation that Richardson's poor play and diminished duties were due to weight issues. The running back brushed off those theories this week.

Whatever the reason for him missing Sunday's matchup, this is just the latest in a long line of setbacks for the running back who has adamantly insisted he'd turn thing around in Indy.

The Colts will once again will lean on Daniel "Boom" Herron as the primary back with Zurlon Tipton as the backup.

Herron has proven to be a much better fit in the Colts offense. In two playoff games he has 35 carries, 119 yards (3.4 yards per carry) and two touchdowns. He also added 18 receptions for 117 yards. Herron is a tough runner with some big burst ability. His elevation in the passing game -- both blocking and catching -- has made life much easier on Andrew Luck the past several weeks.
You waited a long time for this moment obviously. Feel better?