I'm just gonna put this out there for y'all...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
It's about the possibility of Rams trading for Josh Gordon. This is getting more and more possibly a real thing.

Please bear with me for just a second, okay?

Could this be a smart risk/reward decision for the Rams? I'm trying to look at this as a business decision, without getting all emotional about it.

Let's take a look at some of the things that seem to be coming about.

Gordon is meeting with Goodell next week and is expected to be reinstated.
Browns (Hue Jackson) have said that they're moving on from Gordon, so we know he's done in Cleveland.
Gordon has said that he wants to move on from the Browns.
Gordon has been training in LA.
The trade cost could be as little as a 6th or even a 7th, practically a throw away pick.
Rams need a #1 WR type desperately. Haven't had one since Holt/Bruce.
Only Woods would be considered an experienced starting quality WR on our current roster. Goff/McVay could certainly benefit from another.
Gordon has reportedly pulled his act together in this last year and a half, based upon articles I've seen.

I know, I know...

There are reasons from Gordon's past that have caused him to even be considered possibly available, shortly. And I fully realize that the former Gordon doesn't exactly match McVay's "we, not me" philosophy. Emphasis Former Gordon.

But I'm just asking, does the low risk not get heavily outweighed by the high reward here? I would love to get such a favorable ratio at the poker table. Lol.

I definitely think it's worth considering and doing a deep dive into any available Gordon recent background info. At the very least.

Think about the alternatives.

Acquiring an elite WR weapon for a 6th or 7th for a team that definitely lacks one and also lacks a 1st rounder to get one this year. And for a pittance, mind you.

The worst case scenario? Gordon screws up again and we've wasted that late pick. Don't see how Gordon can screw up the chemistry being installed by this new coaching staff in conjunction with the leadership on this current roster.

Snead has made bold moves before. Is it time for yet another bold move to maybe jumpstart a 4-12 team coming off back to back NFL worst O's?

I'm leaning in favor of at least pursuing this opportunity. I guarantee you that some other team will take a chance on Gordon for the right price. Why not the Rams?

Thoughts?

Verry very good post! Thanks for the thread. I agreed with all of your viewpoints, especially the bold.

Thank you for posting!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get the feeling some Rams fans would favor the death penalty for a pedestrian not using a cross-walk.
giphy.gif

ROFL yeah that's exactly what people are saying in not trusting Gordon hahahaha

It's funny if a college kid had been busted as many times his junior and senior season after having a good sophmore year and people wanted to spend a draft pick on the kid they'd be laughed at. But because it's Josh Gordon and he's screwed up a half a dozen times or so we're supposed to believe he's suddenly changed. Fool me once shame on you, fool me another 4 or 5 times.....

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Could do alot worse with a 6th round pick. Even if he lets you down the team isnt loosing alot. Remember Bud Sasser?

TexasRam

Legend
It's about the possibility of Rams trading for Josh Gordon. This is getting more and more possibly a real thing.

Could this be a smart risk/reward decision for the Rams? I'm trying to look at this as a business decision, without getting all emotional about it.

Browns (Hue Jackson) have said that they're moving on from Gordon, so we know he's done in Cleveland.
The trade cost could be as little as a 6th or even a 7th, practically a throw away pick.
Only Woods would be considered an experienced starting quality WR on our current roster. Goff/McVay could certainly benefit

Thoughts?

Only Woods would be considered an experienced starting quality WR on our current roster. Goff/McVay could certainly benefit from another.
Gordon has reportedly pulled his act together in this last year and a half, based upon articles I've seen.

I know, I know...

There are reasons from Gordon's past that have caused him to even be considered possibly available, shortly. And I fully realize that the former Gordon doesn't exactly match McVay's "we, not me" philosophy. Emphasis Former Gordon.

But I'm just asking, does the low risk not get heavily outweighed by the high reward here? I would love to get such a favorable ratio at the poker table. Lol.

I definitely think it's worth considering and doing a deep dive into any available Gordon recent background info. At the very least.

Acquiring an elite WR weapon for a 6th or 7th for a team that definitely lacks one and also lacks a 1st rounder to get one this year. And for a pittance, mind you.

The worst case scenario? Gordon screws up again and we've wasted that late pick. Don't see how Gordon can screw up the chemistry being installed by this new coaching staff in conjunction with the leadership on this current roster.

Snead has made bold moves before. Is it time for yet another bold move to maybe jumpstart a 4-12 team coming off back to back NFL worst O's?

I'm leaning in favor of at least pursuing this opportunity. I guarantee you that some other team will take a chance on Gordon for the right price. Why not the Rams?

Thoughts?

My thoughts evolved as I read your post.

giphy.gif

rmRrLcr.gif

clapping_joey_chandler_friends.gif

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
ROFL yeah that's exactly what people are saying in not trusting Gordon hahahaha

It's funny if a college kid had been busted as many times his junior and senior season after having a good sophmore year and people wanted to spend a draft pick on the kid they'd be laughed at. But because it's Josh Gordon and he's screwed up a half a dozen times or so we're supposed to believe he's suddenly changed. Fool me once shame on you, fool me another 4 or 5 times.....

You are welcome to your opinion, although some of us believe Gordon has paid his dues by serving out his suspension, gone thru rehab, getting clean and been working like crazy to remain in football shape with rigorous work-outs. He reportedly moved in with his agent and has continued to pursue his dream of playing in the NFL. I prefer to reward guys who turn there lives around, not hamper the ability to earn an honest living. The kid smoked pot and paid a big price for it. He didn't commit wife abuse, a violent crime or take PED's.
For a guy of his athletic caliber, someone not likely to earn much more than player minimum, with two years remaining on his contract, where a simple performance clause can help protect the team from a trade which goes bad, ... I'm on the phone right now talking to Cleveland's GM. jmo.

Ram65

Legend
Gordon basically has two years remaining on his Cleveland contract, this year and as an RFA in 2018. We would be taking over that contract if he's traded to us. All we'd need back for whatever we trade to Cleveland is a performance clause that states he remains clean and is available for every game while under contract. He'd get a first round tender as an RFA in 2018.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/josh-gordon-11012/

Thanks River.
Wasn't thinking about his current contract. He only gets a $1,068,406 in 2017. Very cheap labor if he produces as he has shown he can. First round tender and a new creative contract in 2018. The money changes my thinking some. Depending on draft pick it's worth giving Gordon a shot.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Lets ask Goff if he would like to give the guy a shot to be a #1 WR again since we don't currently have one. I'm worried about Tavon,Gurley& Quinn right now and I don't care about Tee Shirt logo's for grown arse men. Although it worked once for Vermeil with everybody in the wheelbarrow. No Tee Shirts though. Martz like gimmics in the locker each week too.

The Greatest weekend every year we focus on FORGIVENESS is this weekend.:flanders:

Belushi did awesome for 3 years till he thought he was okay and fired his Minder and then he left us. :death:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are welcome to your opinion, although some of us believe Gordon has paid his dues by serving out his suspension, gone thru rehab, getting clean and been working like crazy to remain in football shape with rigorous work-outs. He reportedly moved in with his agent and has continued to pursue his dream of playing in the NFL. I prefer to reward guys who turn there lives around, not hamper the ability to earn an honest living. The kid smoked pot and paid a big price for it. He didn't commit wife abuse, a violent crime or take PED's.
For a guy of his athletic caliber, someone not likely to earn much more than player minimum, with two years remaining on his contract, where a simple performance clause can help protect the team from a trade which goes bad, ... I'm on the phone right now talking to Cleveland's GM. jmo.
It's so fun all these same threads where the point the rest of us makes just get ignored. Great we all hope he's learned his lesson! But prove it, until then why would anybody want to risk it for their Rams? And it's far more than "just smoking pot" every time he's had a chance to get back in the game for the last 2 and 1/2 years something has happened to keep him out of it. The only things that can keep him out of it are his own choices. But yeah please keep telling us how much he's changed and how great a guy he is now. We've all seen it in about a dozen threads this off season. Every other time he had a chance to get back in the NFL he did something that led to it not happening. Maybe this time he's changed. I hope so for his sake. Just nobody is holding their breath. Nobody is calling him a bad guy, they just question his choices that have led to him not being available to help his team for the last 43 games. But then we've said this and every time people come up with a new way to ask the question and then criticize those that say "great hope he proves he's worth a draft pick"

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It's so fun all these same threads where the point the rest of us makes just get ignored. Great we all hope he's learned his lesson! But prove it, until then why would anybody want to risk it for their Rams? And it's far more than "just smoking pot" every time he's had a chance to get back in the game for the last 2 and 1/2 years something has happened to keep him out of it. The only things that can keep him out of it are his own choices. But yeah please keep telling us how much he's changed and how great a guy he is now. We've all seen it in about a dozen threads this off season. Every other time he had a chance to get back in the NFL he did something that led to it not happening. Maybe this time he's changed. I hope so for his sake. Just nobody is holding their breath. Nobody is calling him a bad guy, they just question his choices that have led to him not being available to help his team for the last 43 games. But then we've said this and every time people come up with a new way to ask the question and then criticize those that say "great hope he proves he's worth a draft pick"

Your points aren't ignored, they appear more like outrage. You see, the Rams have little to lose when they go a decade without winning along with a decade missing a true #1 WR in their sites. The cost is minimal and the upside is huge, we also have a rookie QB trying to find his bearings, why not present him with a gift which under normal circumstances may not otherwise come available for another year or two. The worst that can happen is Gordon lights up a blunt on the sidelines during day 1 of the season, and if he does, he's gone. $1.mil against the CAP is peanuts when considering the alternative where he may actually turn out just fine. It's a gamble many of us are willing to take. Scoring Gordon in a trade doesn't prevent us from drafting another WR, that argument won't fly.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Your points aren't ignored, they appear more like outrage. You see, the Rams have little to lose when they go a decade without winning along with a decade missing a true #1 WR in their sites. The cost is minimal and the upside is huge, we also have a rookie QB trying to find his bearings, why not present him with a gift which under normal circumstances may not otherwise come available for another year or two. The worst that can happen is Gordon lights up a blunt on the sidelines during day 1 of the season, and if he does, he's gone. $1.mil against the CAP is peanuts when considering the alternative where he may actually turn out just fine. It's a gamble many of us are willing to take. Scoring Gordon in a trade doesn't prevent us from drafting another WR, that argument won't fly.

We've heard it a dozen time, and it's not outrage it's just boredom at this point. Half a dozen people keep telling us he's a great guy and he's learned his lesson and he's going to regain his all pro form and it's not gonna cost us anything blah blah blah. Bored! We don't even know if Goodell is even going to reinstate him yet. He's got to convince the Commish. Once he does that he's got to work with the Browns before they'll find out if they keep him or cut him. There's so much that has to be done before he could even be traded for by the Rams. Until then you're just boring people with these hypothetical scenarios. Wake us up when he's reinstated and the Browns put him up for trade. Until then these threads are pointless. The NFL has said we won't even know if he's allowed back in the game until May.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
We've heard it a dozen time, and it's not outrage it's just boredom at this point. Half a dozen people keep telling us he's a great guy and he's learned his lesson and he's going to regain his all pro form and it's not gonna cost us anything blah blah blah. Bored! We don't even know if Goodell is even going to reinstate him yet. He's got to convince the Commish. Once he does that he's got to work with the Browns before they'll find out if they keep him or cut him. There's so much that has to be done before he could even be traded for by the Rams. Until then you're just boring people with these hypothetical scenarios. Wake us up when he's reinstated and the Browns put him up for trade. Until then these threads are pointless. The NFL has said we won't even know if he's allowed back in the game until May.

For a bored guy you sure helped get this thread to 3 pages. If you're tired of hearing or discussing it, ignore it, maybe it will go away. You want to police the forum for opinions which don't necessarily fit your interests, be my guest, but you will also find folks that have a very different take on things and are willing to express them. The Rams need a WR, Gordon was a good one that may become available fairly soon, it's just that easy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I know, I know...

Thoughts?

I don't see it happening . The Rams just cleared house . No need to bring in a player like that.

I see the 49ers going & getting him.
--Did he play for there Head Coach Shannahan in Cleveland ??

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For a bored guy you sure helped get this thread to 3 pages. If you're tired of hearing or discussing it, ignore it, maybe it will go away. You want to police the forum for opinions which don't necessarily fit your interests, be my guest, but you will also find folks that have a very different take on things and are willing to express them. The Rams need a WR, Gordon was a good one that may become available fairly soon, it's just that easy.
Not policing anything. Saw yet another thread posted about how vital trading for Josh Gordon was and posted my opinion of it just like many others have :) And it's going to be fun over the next two weeks as we keep getting more threads about how he is important for us to trade for. My favorite part of the trade for him theory is that we'll trade picks for the draft coming up in 2 weeks for the guy. When the NFL has said they won't decide on him till May. Don't think the NFL will even allow a team to trade picks for a guy who's not allowed to play in the NFL but hey keep on molding the Rams off season around it.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Not policing anything. Saw yet another thread posted about how vital trading for Josh Gordon was and posted my opinion of it just like many others have :) And it's going to be fun over the next two weeks as we keep getting more threads about how he is important for us to trade for. My favorite part of the trade for him theory is that we'll trade picks for the draft coming up in 2 weeks for the guy. When the NFL has said they won't decide on him till May. Don't think the NFL will even allow a team to trade picks for a guy who's not allowed to play in the NFL but hey keep on molding the Rams off season around it.

Agreeing with the OP and others = 'molding the off-season' ? That's rich.

Until someone presents evidence that the League or NFLPA states there is no trading of suspended players, i'll have to assume it's legal. Again, there would have to be safeguards presented by way of a performance clause.
I'm sure we'll see several alternative thoughts and ideas when it comes time for potential draft day trades, no reason Gordon shouldn't be part of the discussion. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreeing with the OP and others = 'molding the off-season' ? That's rich.

Until someone presents evidence that the League or NFLPA states there is no trading of suspended players, i'll have to assume it's legal. Again, there would have to be safeguards presented by way of a performance clause.
I'm sure we'll see several alternative thoughts and ideas when it comes time for potential draft day trades, no reason Gordon shouldn't be part of the discussion. jmo.
It actually happened with Vincent Jackson. The NFL wasn't going to reinstate him or reduce his 6 game suspension. So the players union filed a grievance on his behalf with the league. The two sides came to the decision that if he were traded his suspension would be reduced from 4 games to 6 games. Until a player is suspended per the CBA they can't even be contacted by their own team unless it's through a player engagement rep. So one of two things have to happen before he could be traded. The NFL aka Goodell will have to reinstate him and the last report by them was late April at the earliest (which coincides with the draft and we know he's busy then and not likely to detract from his time there just my speculation on that) or the Union would have to file a grievance for him. I don't recall a time when a grievance with the NFL was rushed through in process. It's highly unlikely that he even gets a hearing before the draft.

As for the molding this post was the lowest cost required to get him and wasn't so much directed at this post. I've seen other posts where we trade our 3rd or 4th for him. That's changing our draft strategy a lot (though neither of us know what their plan is). We've seen that Gordon was the cost to move around in rounds we've see so many different theories :) All of which are rather mute points because as of right now he can't be traded.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Lets ask Goff if he would like to give the guy a shot to be a #1 WR again since we don't currently have one. I'm worried about Tavon,Gurley& Quinn right now and I don't care about Tee Shirt logo's for grown arse men. Although it worked once for Vermeil with everybody in the wheelbarrow. No Tee Shirts though. Martz like gimmics in the locker each week too.

The Greatest weekend every year we focus on FORGIVENESS is this weekend.:flanders:

Belushi did awesome for 3 years till he thought he was okay and fired his Minder and then he left us. :death:

Luckily, as Rams fans we don't need to forgive him; he didn't do anything to us. There is no grievance for us to forgive. All we have to do is decide if someone with chronic (heh) issues regarding illegal substance use (I won't say abuse, in order to avoid that argument) is able to help the team and worth the risk.

If we could get him for a 6 or 7 pick, sure. Anything more and it's not with the risk. There's like, just guesstimating here, a 95% chance the guy gets suspended before or during the season. That's based on a lot of really complex information, such as: he hasn't played the last two seasons and he's had the same issue with being on the field since college.

A throwaway pick like a 6 or 7 is fine. Even a 5th pick is liable to get some kind of playing time during the season. Greater than a 5% chance anyway.

Past performance is not a guarantee of future performance. *However*, past performance is pretty much the only indicator we have. His past performance shows that he won't be there when we need him... Which is when games are getting played.

I'd love to have a wr of his caliber when he's playing, but we've hired too many players based on what they used to do and not what they will do for me to feel comfortable, or think it's wise for the team to feel comfortable, bringing in a guy who doesn't really have a recent "used to do" that would even be worth a 7th round pick. What I mean is that 2 years of not playing isn't worth a 7th round pick for a trade. That's worth a futures contract or a vet minimum deal or whatever, only after he's been released.