I'm guessing Snead is safe?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
I share Selassie's concerns.

Is Snead a "real" GM who will be selecting the coach?

I would probably trust his decision over Demoff's.

Or, is Snead essentially just the former coach's top personnel guy, whose future is unclear? If so, it would be quite unusual having him sitting in on these interviews.

Can't complain at all about the defensive players that have been drafted under the Fisher/Snead regime.

However, it almost seems that Fisher had an indifference....or maybe neglect is a better word....towards the entire offensive side of the ball. From the selections of offensive coordinators that no one would consider to be anywhere near upper echelon....to the haphazard drafting strategy when targeting offensive players.

Oh well, the odds say we ought to get this one right after three previous failures. Remember, at the time each of those selections were generally viewed very favorably. It was not as if the Rams were hiring unheard of and unproven Rich Brooks types.

I just wish my former elementary and junior high school classmate, Mike Smith, was being considered.

That man has proven he can coach fooball.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Donald and Gurley were mid 1st round picks who both went on to win to back rookies of the year awards.

An impressive feat and one which leads you to believe in the Rams scouting staff's ability to identify talent.

However, "drafting for need", which seems to be how our Oline has been put together, just squanders that asset.

Getting the oline squared away is priority 1, 2, and 3.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Outstanding points. College offenses are very simple. Some schools don't huddle or have a playbook. They are at a major disadvantage coming into the league.

And those college offenses aren't getting any better at producing NFL ready players.

It may (will) get worse.

I am expecting extended learning periods for players, especially QB's and linemen.

NCAA teams running Pro concepts-
Alabama
Arkansas
USC
Florida State
LSU (coaching change will likely go Spread)
Georgia
Michigan
Stanford

All that I can think of....not very appetizing, is it?

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I think Snead is safe. Fisher was hired 1st and was in charge. He was in the interview process for Snead. Also Snead and Demoff were in Atlanta together. Plus I do think the coaching sucked.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Snead has been good on drafting on the defensive side of the ball but their inability to hit on talent on the oline and at WR worries me. I'm guessing it all depends on the HC hire

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Champ you say it's easy to pick in the first 3 rounds but so many GMs fail at it why?
Because they aren't qualified to judge talent. Very simple. It is easy with all of the information to draft talented players in the first 3 rounds. the first 100 players. Croonyism & Nepotism are the main reasons for inadequate selections of players. Some guys don't know what they're looking at when evaluating a player. Nor do they know what they are looking for. They just go by what some other "scout" says. If a player fails because of character issues, that's one thing. Effort/love of the game/whatever you call it type misses...like a player that's satisfied to just make his first check...Fat guys, lack of motivation guys...tougher call...but when you miss on talent issues in the top 100, that's a evaluation problem. That's what we have here.
And I think around 20 teams do a pretty good job of evaluating talent.

he also picked Jenkins, McDonald, Tru, Gaines, Mo and Hav to name a few.
Jenkins was a easy 2nd round pick. Supreme talent. His character was the issue. Mo also has 2nd round talent, again, character issue...To me, those were easy selections where they were picked. I had watched TJ as a freshman, and he's always been the player we see today. Plus he has great bloodlines. EJ Gaines was a 6th round pick...And plays like one now. I doubt he returns to his rookie form. I have a thing against slow corners in a passing league. Havenstein happens to be the only guy you mentioned that I believe was overdrafted. Talent did not equal selected spot. And he looks like it. You can't continue to miss on 2nd round picks and keep your job as a GM. This teams record is a direct reflection on the 2015 draft and those overdrafted O-linemen.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Because they aren't qualified to judge talent. Very simple. It is easy with all of the information to draft talented players in the first 3 rounds. the first 100 players. Croonyism & Nepotism are the main reasons for inadequate selections of players. Some guys don't know what they're looking at when evaluating a player. Nor do they know what they are looking for. They just go by what some other "scout" says. If a player fails because of character issues, that's one thing. Effort/love of the game/whatever you call it type misses...like a player that's satisfied to just make his first check...Fat guys, lack of motivation guys...tougher call...but when you miss on talent issues in the top 100, that's a evaluation problem. That's what we have here.
And I think around 20 teams do a pretty good job of evaluating talent.

Jenkins was a easy 2nd round pick. Supreme talent. His character was the issue. Mo also has 2nd round talent, again, character issue...To me, those were easy selections where they were picked. I had watched TJ as a freshman, and he's always been the player we see today. Plus he has great bloodlines. EJ Gaines was a 6th round pick...And plays like one now. I doubt he returns to his rookie form. I have a thing against slow corners in a passing league. Havenstein happens to be the only guy you mentioned that I believe was overdrafted. Talent did not equal selected spot. And he looks like it. You can't continue to miss on 2nd round picks and keep your job as a GM. This teams record is a direct reflection on the 2015 draft and those overdrafted O-linemen.
So the selections we made that were good should have been easy but the easy selection's according to you rounds 1 thru 3 we failed? I think this is a case were I just disagree with the way you see things. There are zero GMs that get those easy round selections right 100%.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So the selections we made that were good should have been easy but the easy selection's according to you rounds 1 thru 3 we failed?
Grabbing Aaron Donald was easy. Grabbing Tavon was asinine. See the difference? Top 100 selections should ALL be players. Top 10 selections should be all pros...GM's that miss on 1st or 2nd round picks consistently don't work very long...You shouldn't miss in the top 64 players...You show me a team that's 50% on 1st round picks, I'll show you a loser. A losing team, and a terrible GM.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Grabbing Aaron Donald was easy. Grabbing Tavon was asinine. See the difference? Top 100 selections should ALL be players. Top 10 selections should be all pros...GM's that miss on 1st or 2nd round picks consistently don't work very long...You shouldn't miss in the top 64 players...You show me a team that's 50% on 1st round picks, I'll show you a loser. A losing team, and a terrible GM.
Grabbing Donald wasn't easy. How many teams passed on him? I remember guy's being upset with the pick because we already had a lot invested in the Dline. You give credit for the good picks and criticize the bad picks.Snead hasn't been perfect in my opinion but he hasn't been terrible either. We will see who's right about Hav next season.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Grabbing Donald wasn't easy. How many teams passed on him?
Donald was picked 14th? so 13 teams passed on him. Probably due to size concerns &/or greater needs elsewhere. There was still little doubt after the senior bowl he could play. that's still the only 1st round pick that's been to a pro bowl or been named all pro.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Except that is not reality, for any team. You are wanting something that just doesn't happen.

SacRAManiac

Rookie
Noooooo more Snead. Our drafts stink. It's why we're bad now. Our WR and o line scouts stink as well. We run a 70s NFL offense

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Snead has been good on drafting on the defensive side of the ball but their inability to hit on talent on the oline and at WR worries me. I'm guessing it all depends on the HC hire

I'm not so sure you can credit Les with those defensive selections. Fish and his staff were all over the defensive guys, so it is possible they increased his hit percentage there. Fish and his staff were also clueless with the offensive guys, so what concerns me with Les is they missed on nearly all of them and there are a lot of conclusions we can draw there which are mostly bad.

Gurley, for example, I believe was probably a Fish selection. Les might have graded him the same, but I am sure Fish wanted his bell cow back and pushed for that pick. Now, I am sure Fish also had a lot to do with the offensive misses, given the clueless nature of him and that staff on offense. But either way it's really hard to sit on the outside and give Les any kind of vote of confidence.

Only way Les should keep his job is if the lion's share of the misses were not his fault, and if most of the defensive hits were due to him. What are the chances of that? Dude is gone, IMO, and don't read into the fact that he's still collecting a paycheck.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Really hope they don't keep Snead, hoping the only reason they are keeping him around is because he knows Demoff prefers sprinkles on the chocolate frosted doughnut and when they hire a Head Coach, they will hire the new GM simultaneously.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/09/les-snead-still-in-a-tenuous-situation-in-l-a/

Les Snead still in a tenuous situation in L.A.
Posted by Mike Florio on January 9, 2017

454851914.jpg
Getty Images

As the Rams search for a head coach, there’s still a chance they’ll be searching for a General Manager.

Largely lost in the departure of Jeff Fisher has been the status of Les Snead. Hired after Fisher and, as a practical matter, by Fisher to serve as the coach’s personnel executive, Snead received a contract extension along with Fisher. But Snead wasn’t fired with Fisher, who got the boot only eight days after word of the extension leaked.

As one league source explained it, Snead’s situation remains tenuous. Ultimately, his role (and his employment) will depend on who they hire to be the coach — and how much power the coach has.

To date, the Rams have been interviewing assistants who currently are working with other teams. Typically, those candidates are less likely to make sweeping demands regarding personnel power and/or the degree of influence to be exercised by people already in place.

For the Rams, the two biggest names to watch as it relates to the interplay with the new coach are Snead and COO Kevin Demoff.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Please! If you don't replace Snead demote him to assistant GM. Hire a real GM let Demhoff be a numbers guy solely and hire a Football guy. If not replace both, people are making to many excuses for Snead.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the Rams front office is out of whack. I always thought the chain of command was GM as the boss/decision maker about the HC. So now Demoff is picking the HC, does that mean his head is on the chopping block if the new HC doesn't work out? It should be. It could be partly why Snead hasn't been fired yet, because he wasn't responsible for hiring Fisher. Snead put the Rams in the position to pick any player in the NFL Draft, and who believes that Fisher wasn't the decision maker about draft picks?

So no matter, either Les Snead or his replacement will be in a weakened position..and the odds of failure through disfunction, are real.

Last edited:

Zero

Pro Bowler
It could be partly why Snead hasn't been fired yet,
I think part of it too,is the fact that Snead is the only "Football" guy among them.
I think Demoff is leaning on Snead for that aspect of the hire.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's an odd situation for sure. Why have the GM help decide who the HC is and in turn have the HC decide if the GM stays? Also why keep the GM in limbo? If he's on thin ice get rid of him. It's hard to get a GM with a HC in place.