I'm guessing Snead is safe?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Just read that Snead is one of the Rams executives doing interviews with HCs. I wonder if this hurts the HC search. Coaches won't want to be the next Chip Kelly and if Snead is on thin ice it may turn coaches away. Then again Snead may not be on thin ice, and Demoff is the guy who hires the coaches and GMs anyways.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am unsure about Snead.

I like hearing from him. Lots of energy. Seems like a good guy. Young with upside.

But, his drafts have been a mixed bag. How much control/say did he have? How far has he gotten rebuilding the scouting department (I know we've made changes there)?

My biggest concern about this coaching search is the stability of our franchise in the eyes of the candidates;
  1. Fisher goes but Snead stays? What does that mean about what is going on behind the scenes?
  2. Why did it get so weird at the end of the Fisher era. I don't care what anyone says, he got weird. Why?
  3. Kroenke is a smart and patient man (positives) but also sounds a bit aloof. Frankly, he also comes off as an elitist, which won't kill a culture rebuild, but won't make it any easier. The WHOLE organization needs to appear willing to roll up their sleeves and do whatever it takes, mop the floors if you have to, to WIN. This, IMO, is where the owner can make an impact on his team. I don't think that's how Kroenke sees his contribution, but I could be wrong.
  4. How much locker room cancer is there, and why is that?
This is a big moment for Kevin Demoff. If there is any dysfunction in this organization; now is the time to cut off the head.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I am unsure about Snead.

I like hearing from him. Lots of energy. Seems like a good guy. Young with upside.

But, his drafts have been a mixed bag. How much control/say did he have? How far has he gotten rebuilding the scouting department (I know we've made changes there)?

My biggest concern about this coaching search is the stability of our franchise in the eyes of the candidates;
  1. Fisher goes but Snead stays? What does that mean about what is going on behind the scenes?
  2. Why did it get so weird at the end of the Fisher era. I don't care what anyone says, he got weird. Why?
  3. Kroenke is a smart and patient man (positives) but also sounds a bit aloof. Frankly, he also comes off as an elitist, which won't kill a culture rebuild, but won't make it any easier. The WHOLE organization needs to appear willing to roll up their sleeves and do whatever it takes, mop the floors if you have to, to WIN. This, IMO, is where the owner can make an impact on his team. I don't think that's how Kroenke sees his contribution, but I could be wrong.
  4. How much locker room cancer is there, and why is that?
This is a big moment for Kevin Demoff. If there is any dysfunction in this organization; now is the time to cut off the head.
Wow great post.

Honestly this is what I think from watching Fishers FU type of non verbal or not given someone a direct shot but given one that person knows it is.

Examples:
Marches out the RG3 picks at the Redskins game to act like he's a smart ass genius.

His multiple critiques of people in the media talking about him etc. ( dirty play with Rodney Harrison)

Him saying he didn't know Snead was resigned.

Just a few of them but there are many more examples.

I really think Snead seen from the draft picks he didn't want to pick ( Fishers final say so) that they started slowly moving in different directions in which it became apparent behind the scenes. I like your assessment of Snead and do not think he was part of the problem. He was a reluctant participate by default from how he was brought in though.

I pray we get a great coaching staff that Snead can hook us up on trades to start heading this ship in the right direction.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Sorry CGI, but that dude can barely spit our sentence fragments. This is just my opinion, and I am mot saying he is not a smart guy, just that he is the worst interview ever. Never says anything of merit and sounds half stupid in the process while stammering and using the same verbal crutches ("I will say this about that").

I have liked a couple of this regimes picks, but FAR too many have left me scratching my head and I cannot fathom why so many on here still have a thing for Snead. Is it because he is young and has "great hair" or because he is still being compared to the dumpster fires that preceded him? I still see this team as a bunch of players just thrown in a blender with no real thought as to how they will work as a team. That may have been Fish. We will soon know.

jjab360

Legend
I'd be fine with Snead staying. He's been a much better GM than Fisher was a HC imo.

He's not bad at player evaluation the problem has been Fisher's inability to develop the players he's drafted. It's a problem when almost every player you draft has their best year as a rookie. I mean, what's up with that??

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Snead isn't the worst interview. You've clearly never heard Big Ben talk for more than 14 seconds...ugh.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Sorry CGI, but that dude can barely spit our sentence fragments. This is just my opinion, and I am mot saying he is not a smart guy, just that he is the worst interview ever. Never says anything of merit and sounds half stupid in the process while stammering and using the same verbal crutches ("I will say this about that").

I have liked a couple of this regimes picks, but FAR too many have left me scratching my head and I cannot fathom why so many on here still have a thing for Snead. Is it because he is young and has "great hair" or because he is still being compared to the dumpster fires that preceded him? I still see this team as a bunch of players just thrown in a blender with no real thought as to how they will work as a team. That may have been Fish. We will soon know.

That's a fair observation.

I personally relate to his speaking style as it doesn't come off as prepackaged. To me, he comes off genuine and that trumps delivery.

The picks? I just don't know who was making the call and/or setting philosophy.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Just read that Snead is one of the Rams executives doing interviews with HCs. I wonder if this hurts the HC search. Coaches won't want to be the next Chip Kelly and if Snead is on thin ice it may turn coaches away. Then again Snead may not be on thin ice, and Demoff is the guy who hires the coaches and GMs anyways.

He's not safe Fro, if the new Head Coach want a different GM, he's history. This happens all the time even at the corporate level. You are part of the on going process, but if a new VP comes in and decides they want different directors for example, then you are done. I believe Snead is assisting most likely not all that much and Demoff will make the hire and if that Head Coach does not sign off on Snead, then Snead is gone.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He's not safe Fro, if the new Head Coach want a different GM, he's history. This happens all the time even at the corporate level. You are part of the on going process, but if a new VP comes in and decides they want different directors for example, then you are done. I believe Snead is assisting most likely not all that much and Demoff will make the hire and if that Head Coach does not sign off on Snead, then Snead is gone.

This would be my guess too.

Still, seems a little awkward?

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This would be my guess too.

Still, seems a little awkward?
Very awkward. I mean when they ask the candidates about the GM spot with Snead in the room and interviewing them, what do they say?

I think Snead is pretty safe unless they are go after a big named guy. Looks to me like they have been rebuffed in that regard and will go the assistant route.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
If it's my decision, I would bring in a new GM. Early on, I liked most of Snead's moves (what I assume were his anyway) but recently I have really questioned him. This last draft class I was not a fan of at all.

FRO

Legend
The only pick I know for sure was Snead's was Quick. It leads me to believe that he was a driving force in drafting the raw/upside guys and coaching them up. To me that's a philosophical failure.

FRO

Legend
How do you know this.Just curious
Agree on failure to coach up talent.
I'll have to find the article. It basically says that Snead was pushing Quick even before he was hired by the Rams. Bear with me while I try and find it. If anyone else knows about the article I'm referring to please help out.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think Snead is done...Again, I don't think it's hard to pick in the first 3 rounds with all the information available and all the televised games. Later rounds require scouts in various areas. talent evaluators you can trust. I feel fans of local teams/players can do just as good a job. I think besides 4 players, Donald, Brockers, Ogletree, and.....who?? Well, Our first & 2nd rounders have been just meh...especially the 2nd round picks. and no matter how much Fisher was involved, so was Snead.
I have liked a couple of this regimes picks, but FAR too many have left me scratching my head and I cannot fathom why so many on here still have a thing for Snead.
Don't know why the love for Snead...Perhaps he's the first GM since the time of Jack Youngblood that we've been very active in the scouting/drafting of SEC players...and trying to obtain them. That's all I got.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think Snead has done a pretty good job acquiring Talented players! It wasn't his Job to Coach-them-up once they got here!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really think Snead seen from the draft picks he didn't want to pick ( Fishers final say so) that they started slowly moving in different directions in which it became apparent behind the scenes.

I like your assessment of Snead and do not think he was part of the problem.

The picks? I just don't know who was making the call and/or setting philosophy.

(what I assume were his anyway)

Add all of this up and you have:
No one knows how much Snead contributed to the draft picks.

But Kroenke ought to know.

Me? If I don't know (how much he contributed), then I err on the side of caution (given the very average track record of picks) and move on from him.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
It just depends on who ends up getting the job. I think with someone like Shanahan ... Snead probably goes. Someone less experienced like McVay ... Snead stays. My guess anyway.

Whether he goes or stays, I hope they can keep the scouting department intact, I think he did a good job there. Not his fault that the coaches on offense can't develop players.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I for one hope he stays. Its tough to know which picks were truly "his" with the whole dynamic they had with fisher having final say, but all I know is there has been an influx of talent on this team since snead was hired and I dont think that is a coincidence. Obviously there have been some misses, but no gm is perfect with every pick, and with how pathetic the offensive coaching has been, I dont think its fair to simply label certain missed picks as busts