I'm disgusted with this

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Getting a handle on the extracurricular stuff is easier than changing the personality of the players we drafted. In most cases, you can't get guys to change how aggressive and mouthy they are. And that's not a bad thing. Hell, Finnegan basically sealed the win against the Redskins last year with a simple shove (after the whistle). I wouldn't want the players to be taught to become docile in a game this violent. I just want them to be smarter.

And the point about SB teams being near the bottom in penalties just isn't true. Baltimore led the league in penalty yards per game last year and won the SB. A couple years prior, Pittsburgh had the 8th most penalty yards per game and won it. Penalties are going to happen, and some of them stupid, but it's how the net average pans out that matters. Right now (it appears), the Rams are @ -1.94 penalty yards (per game) differential. Seattle, on the other hand, is @ -19.00 penalty yards per game. Cincinnati is even worse @ -19.25. Both are in the playoffs. Conversely, the Vikings are +19.00 yards per game in penalty differential. What are they going to be doing in January? The Ravens also had a net positive of 15.88 yards per game. Out of the playoffs.

All that said .... yes; the Rams' players (particularly on defense) do need to understand how detrimental being "chippy" can be, in contests where your offense is struggling. More so against the top teams in the league. But when the offense catches up to the defense on this team, I'm hoping the defense remains as intimidating and sometimes stupid as they are right now. No teams want to play the Rams right now. They know it's going to be a slug fest, and they know they're going to be frustrated. Our "mentality" is such that we can get in other teams' heads. And when the offense arrives, that kind of mentality is going to be an asset to this team. IMO of course. I'm fairly certain there aren't many people who agree with my take on this.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
If it takes 4 season of bad performance, then I think that needs to be revised. This crew obviously isn't cutting it. Teams shouldn't have to wait another 3 years to get better refs.

I think one thing that could be implemented fairly easily would be to not allow a crew to officiate a team with whom they had a previous poor performance in that season. Since they already had a bad game with the Rams in Carolina, they shouldn't have been put with them again.

Jeff Triplette's crew was NOT the crew who worked the Carolina game. That would have been the equally incompetent Bill Vinovich's crew.

http://www.football-refs.com/2013-crews/week-7/
http://www.football-refs.com/2013-crews/week-17/

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Ah. Someone else said it was so I took them at their word.

Well, that suggestion wouldn't have worked then. Any recommendations on how to hold refs accountable?
Actually, what I said is that we did get Vinovich's crew again a few games ago. They did do a better job keeping the game under control, however. Don't remember now which one.

4 years ... that means we have 2 more years of these sorry refs before someone does something about them.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Jeff Triplette's crew was NOT the crew who worked the Carolina game. That would have been the equally incompetent Bill Vinovich's crew.

http://www.football-refs.com/2013-crews/week-7/
http://www.football-refs.com/2013-crews/week-17/
Vinovich also worked the game vs the Whiners in wk 13
http://www.football-refs.com/2013-crews/week-13/

And Triplett's crew ran the Whiner game in wk 4
http://www.football-refs.com/2013-crews/week-4/

PS. You know, I would love to see the Rams win/loss record by referee crew. I wonder if any patterns would be obvious?

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
My take on the game is that the Rams were getting frustrated with the non calls on the shepigeons and it got to the point where they lost it. Refs caused that to happen like they did in NC. Amazed that Quinn didn't lose it!

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
The ejection was bullshit, no matter how you look at it. Mad or not, he didn't mean to hit that ref, and that's all there is to it. You can't punish somebody for something completely unrelated to the incident, it's not like he hauled back and punched the ref, the dude came into his blind side and got hit when he pointed, there's no way Langford could have even SEEN him to decide to hit him if he had even wanted to. That's ALL the ref's fault. Langford didn't do anything but exist in the wrong place.

It's less egregious than when we played the Cardinals, and one of their players shoved the ref down, completely intentionally and nothing happened to him.

It's not just the Rams problem, this is the NFL's problem, the refs have been calling partial games all year, and making terrible calls all year. From Kuchley grabbing Gronkowski to Brockers getting his sack called back on a call not even remotely correct, the refs have been putrid all season.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Are you serious? I'm fairweather because I can't stand watching undisciplined play? That's pretty much my biggest pet peeve in sports. I CANNOT stand watching players take stupid penalties and the Rams were taking a ton of them yesterday. I already mentioned it in another post. It slows the game down to a crawl and pretty much ensures you're not going to win. The teams that win the SB are usually the ones at the bottom of the list in terms of penalties. Hell, the game yesterday didn't even matter, yet I was watching. The Rams have had the worst 5 year stretch ever in the NFL, yet I continued to watch and support them. They've had one of the worst decades of all time, yet I watched every week. I even went beyond just watching and participated in Rams discussions every single day on various Rams forums. I could go into a diatribe about LA fans but I'll take the high road. If getting pissed beyond words about avoidable penalties makes me fairweather, then I guess I have a different definition than you do. So please, get off your sanctimonious high horse about being a "true fan". You don't know me and I'm glad that you don't.
No your fair weather and a classic 'St. Louis' fan because anytime I see a post by you your throwing up negativity and nonsense. I've seen multiple times " I'm not going to support" and" I'm through with so and so" and tired of your Debbie downer non sense. Take that walrus or seal crap somewhere else...If we wanted to hear nonsense or negativity we'd read that slimy walrus of a sports whatever Bernie M.

bluecoconuts

Legend

CoachO

Hall of Fame
No your fair weather and a classic 'St. Louis' fan because anytime I see a post by you your throwing up negativity and nonsense. I've seen multiple times " I'm not going to support" and" I'm through with so and so" and tired of your Debbie downer non sense. Take that walrus or seal crap somewhere else...If we wanted to hear nonsense or negativity we'd read that slimy walrus of a sports whatever Bernie M.

You want to explain EXACTLY what you mean by "classic St. Louis fan"? And just for the record, where are you from? .... acting as if you are somehow superior and speaking for the collective "we"?

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I know for sure someone on the Rams staff must have slept with Boogers wife, because he always gives us crap calls and we lose those games.
LMFAO!!
Ummm Sam Kroenke or Les Snead needs to find out who that is and keep his business away from affecting us like that! God those were atrocious calls those games....officiating went down this year. Hope the NFL fixes it his off season.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
You want to explain EXACTLY what you mean by "classic St. Louis fan"? And just for the record, where are you from? .... acting as if you are somehow superior and speaking for the collective "we"?

What I mean is in regards to the baseball team in town there is no fair weather anything, St. Louis is a baseball town through ad through. Many are still butthurt that the Cardinals left back in the day ad won't commit to the Rams. Quit frankly if both teams had a playoff game on same day I'd be willing to bet the Rams game would be close to being blacked out. They play second fiddle to a lot there in St. Louis and having horrible teams the last few regimes doesn't help either. These are well known facts, not opinion.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
What I mean is in regards to the baseball team in town there is no fair weather anything, St. Louis is a baseball town through ad through. Many are still butthurt that the Cardinals left back in the day ad won't commit to the Rams. Quit frankly if both teams had a playoff game on same day I'd be willing to bet the Rams game would be close to being blacked out. They play second fiddle to a lot there in St. Louis and having horrible teams the last few regimes doesn't help either. These are well known facts, not opinion.

Facts because YOU seem to think so? What the Cardinals have or don't have has nothing to do with the support of this football team. I would say that has more to do with the product that has been put on the field for the majority of the 18 seasons they have been here. Which btw, have been supported BETTER than many of the playoff teams. I for one, resent your generalization of the "classic St. Louis fan" as there are plenty of folks like me who are in the dome EVERY game they have played there in the past 15 years. And not that it makes me better or worse, have been at EVERY training camp practice for the past years. Have I seen YOU there and just don't realize it?

And you still didn't answer my question. Where are you from that you seem to have all the answers regarding the St. Louis fan base?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ignorance is bliss I suppose. Let's ignore the collective past 19 years and only look at the past couple.:jerkoff:

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I for one, resent your generalization of the "classic St. Louis fan" as there are plenty of folks like me who are in the dome EVERY game they have played there in the past 15 years. And not that it makes me better or worse, have been at EVERY training camp practice for the past years. Have I seen YOU there and just don't realize it?

And you still didn't answer my question. Where are you from that you seem to have all the answers regarding the St. Louis fan base?

IF you have done this every game and training and so on am I talking about you? No. Your going to tell me you go to home games and wonder why there are so many red seats and aren't filled with people like yourself? I seriously doubt that. Personally, I envy you and have thought of multiple times of dropping my carreer and getting a job with the organization to work there since I have fallen in love with the area from going to multiple games over the years.
BtW I currently live in New Mexico and really ' from" anywhere specfically from growing up in the military and being in the service.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
IF you have done this every game and training and so on am I talking about you? No. Your going to tell me you go to home games and wonder why there are so many red seats and aren't filled with people like yourself? I seriously doubt that. Personally, I envy you and have thought of multiple times of dropping my carreer and getting a job with the organization to work there since I have fallen in love with the area from going to multiple games over the years.
BtW I currently live in New Mexico and really ' from" anywhere specfically from growing up in the military and being in the service.

simply stated, when an organization wins 15 games in a 5 year period after exposing this fan base to one of the most exciting eras in the history of the sport, you are the one, who doesn't seem to get it.

I didn't hear anyone talking about the lack of support in 1995, '96 when this team was still reaching out to its fan base, nor from 1999-2004 when that dome literally rocked from the not only soldout crowds but often SRO crowds.

If you have paid attention to the trend around the NFL, games in such traditional powerhouse cities such as Pittsburgh and Washington for example, there have been documented instances where they have struggled to get people in the seats. Cincinnati has been a playoff contender for the past two seasons, being a division Champion THIS year, and yet, they cannot sellout the majority of their games.

So being from "no where" you maybe should rethink your posting of what YOUR perception of the "classic St. Louis fan" is, when you obviously have zero firsthand knowledge, and just seem to regurgitating theories and sound bites you have either heard or read on the internet.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Coach O...hoping I run into you at camp this year. I made it to 4 practices this year. I think I have asked you before but I can't remember, where do you usually post up?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Wasn't expecting to see this kind of exchange here, especially on New Years Day. Everyone have another drink on me and go back to relaxing with your families :optimist:

Lesson

Oh, really?

When the team wins only 15 games in a 5 season period, there is going to be a decline in attendance. The Rams have only had a winning season 4 times in their 19 seasons in St. Louis as well as 2 8-8 seasons. The rest of the seasons have concluded with a losing record-13 losing seasons. The Rams haven't even been in St. Louis for 20 years and I think it's difficult to expect a fan base to continue buying tickets for a team that has had 13 losing seasons out of 19.

If the Rams won more over the past 19 seasons, then yes, the attendance dilemma would be concerning. But when the team gets over .500 and to the playoffs, don't be shocked for the Dome to be filled on a consistent basis like it was during the GSOT era.