I'm Diggin' Mariota...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know the draft order is faaaaar from being set but looking at the teams that may draft a QB that we'd be competing with:

Tampa
Tennessee
Oakland
Houston

Looking at all the other teams, it seems like they have their 2015 QB on the roster. Idk about getting Mariota without a trade up, but I think we'd have a shot at a top 3 QB

That's something that benefits us. Not a lot of teams to compete with. Might be a good reason to wait on the QB because hopefully, a talented one will drop in the first...maybe even in the 2nd. But we'll see who all declares.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
That's something that benefits us. Not a lot of teams to compete with. Might be a good reason to wait on the QB because hopefully, a talented one will drop in the first...maybe even in the 2nd. But we'll see who all declares.

I think the "talented one" may be Winston. With all the off field stuff some teams may shy away. Some parts of his game remind me of Cam Newton

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I know the draft order is faaaaar from being set but looking at the teams that may draft a QB that we'd be competing with:

Tampa
Tennessee
Oakland
Houston

Looking at all the other teams, it seems like they have their 2015 QB on the roster. Idk about getting Mariota without a trade up, but I think we'd have a shot at a top 3 QB

I think Oakland and Houston are out. ( Carr and Savage)
The Early vote has to be Tampa though.

AZRamsFan93

Tampa
Tennessee
Oakland
Houston

I would guess Oakland might stick with Carr.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I think Oakland and Houston are out. ( Carr and Savage)
The Early vote has to be Tampa though.

Me too. IMO Titans and Texans will be around .500. So they may be right around the same spot as us. Tampa looks like they could win 2 or less

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32 do you think the Raiders would give up on Carr after 1 year?

They could. Depends on how he performs this year. They'll likely have a new coaching staff next year.

I think the "talented one" may be Winston. With all the off field stuff some teams may shy away. Some parts of his game remind me of Cam Newton

If he comes out, he's definitely the talented one haha. Best QB in CFB imo.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Me too. IMO Titans and Texans will be around .500. So they may be right around the same spot as us. Tampa looks like they could win 2 or less

Maybe Tennessee finds there way to the top as well.
It doesn't look like Locker is going to stick. He was another one of those "can't miss " QB's. There was a ton of buzz for that guy coming out.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think my nitpicking is quite a bit more informative than that, thank you very much.

And I don't have my mind made up on Mariota. Just have some problems that I see that I want to see get cleaned up before I can fully endorse him...considering we are talking about spending a top 5 pick on him.

He is great at short passes to wide open receivers. Instead of the one read and run style of Manzeil, Marriotta is a two read and run QB. He is a typical college spread QB that excels in that offense in college but won't be as successful in the NFL. Throw in that he likes to run and already had injuries, I would pass. Connor Haliday has made tougher throws for Washington State.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is great at short passes to wide open receivers. Instead of the one read and run style of Manzeil, Marriotta is a two read and run QB. He is a typical college spread QB that excels in that offense in college but won't be as successful in the NFL. Throw in that he likes to run and already had injuries, I would pass. Connor Haliday has made tougher throws for Washington State.

No doubt about that. It's a great contrast to see the coverage and windows that Halliday throws into vs. the ones that Mariota throws into.

That's something that concerns me. It's something that Robert Griffin benefited from too. And he tore it up as a rookie because the read option caused teams to overreact which cleared the middle of the field out. Now that teams figured it out, he's struggled reading and hitting those tighter windows. QBs from offenses like that don't tend to process things as quickly. It's my biggest concern with Mariota. He's throwing almost entirely to wide open WRs through massive windows and often has a clean pocket or is on the run. You just don't see many NFL type plays so how do you evaluate how he'll transition to the NFL without it? You gotta go on a smaller sample size and that sample size has some questionable results.

One thing I noticed today that I didn't like was Mariota's tendency to scramble to his right when blitzed rather than hang in the pocket and get the ball out of his hands to a hot read quickly. It is working...but this is a college defense. Guarantee you that NFL DCs will not let him do that. He's going to have to learn to how to beat the blitz in the pocket and that's not something he does well at this point.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I like Marriota, but the guy I really like is Gunner Kiel. Guy has a great compact throw with a quick release, great arm strength and velocity and good accuracy. Mariota lofts a lot of balls, not much zip, Winston need major work in his mechanics. Kiel is already accustomed to pro style offense. He is who I am going to keep watching very closely. Might have some struggles at first since he didn't play the last couple years till this year. Backup at ND then transfered to Cincinnati and had to wait a year to play.

Just my opinion though, I'm no scout and not even a good arm chair scout. But I like the dude. And his name is Gunner for fuck sake!!!

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing

Tampa
Tennessee
Oakland
Houston

No Jacksonville?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

Tampa
Tennessee
Oakland
Houston

I'd add the Giants to that list. Manning has been a garbage turnover machine and has only seemed to of gotten worse.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I honestly think that there will be good QBs in the late 1st through 3rd rounds. I can see trading a 2nd or 3rd of 2015 to move up, but none of that "our 1st in 2015, 2016 and 2017" junk. I want to be competitive year in and out and you don't do that by selling the future on an unknown who could be often injured or just suck.