I'm Curious!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Probably the wrong spot for this, if so the mods can move it, But, does anyone have any idea how much the assistant coaches impact draft day selections!!? IDK!! Maybe someone like @CoachO or @-X- , or anyone else can enlighten me!!:D

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Probably the wrong spot for this, if so the mods can move it, But, does anyone have any idea how much the assistant coaches impact draft day selections!!? IDK!! Maybe someone like @CoachO or @-X- , or anyone else can enlighten me!!:D
I would imagine it really depends on the head coach/gm/assistant coach. For instance I'd imagine Fisher puts a lot of weight into Boudreau's feelings on a player and if he's coachable. Don't know that that it's the same with all coaches but Fisher seems to have a lot of very experienced position coaches so yeah I'd imagine he asks for their input and weighs it along with the scouts thoughts and what he thinks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Depends. McDaniels, for example, was instrumental in bringing in Kendricks, Salas and Pettis.
He wanted taller receiving targets in his offense.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The Rams do in fact give the position coaches a lot of input on who they place in their draft boards.

For example. Coach Fassel was THE GUY who brought in Zuerlein and Hekker. Boudreau had a lot to do with the Robinson pick. And this past year with the Havenstien and J. Brown selections.

Obviously they don't decide when they are picked. But make no mistake they are influential in WHO gets picked.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Rams do in fact give the position coaches a lot of input in who they place in their draft boards.

For example. Coach Fassel was THE GUY who brought in Zuerlein and Hekker. Boudreau had a lot to do with the Robinson pick. And this past year with the Havenstien and J. Brown selections.

Obviously they don't decide when they are locked. But make no mistake they are influential in WHO gets picked.
Great news! that's what I was hoping to hear!! Thanks Coach!!(y)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What're you hoping happens?
I just want to see the "Good" assistant Coaches have some meaningful input into player selection!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Rams do in fact give the position coaches a lot of input on who they place in their draft boards.

Obviously they don't decide when they are picked. But make no mistake they are influential in WHO gets picked.

You are a sight for sore eyes sir!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Great thread @DaveFan'51 I concur with many here that assistants do impact decision and I'm hoping that WR Coach/Passing Game coordinator Mike Groh has quite a bit to say in some of the selections.

Big fan of Groh did a great job in Chicago and being a former collegiate Quarterback my hope is a different set of eyes will aid in selecting the next Field General for the L.A. Rams. Also like @CoachO communicated, Special Teams Coordinator John Fassel does have input and maybe they throw him a bone in the 6th and hopefully he has a kicker that he likes that would be worthy of the selection.
ULWAJRBCADVAZEE.20150708173613.jpg

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Ive always wondered how heated the debate is between coaches about drafting a player in a certain round. That would be the best reality show ever produced.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Great thread @DaveFan'51 I concur with many here that assistants do impact decision and I'm hoping that WR Coach/Passing Game coordinator Mike Groh has quite a bit to say in some of the selections.

Big fan of Groh did a great job in Chicago and being a former collegiate Quarterback my hope is a different set of eyes will aid in selecting the next Field General for the L.A. Rams. Also like @CoachO communicated, Special Teams Coordinator John Fassel does have input and maybe they throw him a bone in the 6th and hopefully he has a kicker that he likes that would be worthy of the selection.
ULWAJRBCADVAZEE.20150708173613.jpg
Does he always flip the bird to the ball before he kicks it?
Because that would be pretty cool.