I'm changing my stance.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I'm a total Clemson homer, and I have wanted Sammy Watkins in horns since his Freshman year. I was going to be steaming if they passed on him.

I still want him. He's number one on my wish list; however, my friend pointed out that I am quick to stand behind Jenkins and call it a "sophmore slump" but I wasn't affording Chris Givens the same luxury. I was very high on him after his rookie year. I claimed he would be the first Ram receiver to get to 1000 yards since Torry. Now, after one down year, I find myself ready to move on. I don't think I'm the only one either.

After gaining a little perspective I think that if the Rams do pass on Sammy, they need to invest heavily in the offensive line and the secondary. Chris Givens, Tavon Austin, and Stedman Bailey should form quite the core of receivers when Stacy is dominating and the play action works.

There is no real reason for this thread, I just thought you should know. Carry on.

laramsoriginal

Starter
I've been saying for weeks that OL and Secondary must be upgraded with high draft picks.
I would even be willing to trade a future first to improve the secondary;

draft Robinson/Mathews after a trade down. At 13 take Dennard/Gilbert. Trade up using rams 2nd round pick plus next years 1st to trade up to high teens to draft HaHa/Pryor. Use 2nd round pick to draft Yankey/Xavier.

Sure trading a future first round pick is not desirable to many but filling the holes on the OL, CB, S positions with premier talent is worth it. Besides, rams would be trading a future late first-rounder after a deep playoff run this year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been saying for weeks that OL and Secondary must be upgraded with high draft picks.
I would even be willing to trade a future first to improve the secondary;

draft Robinson/Mathews after a trade down. At 13 take Dennard/Gilbert. Trade up using rams 2nd round pick plus next years 1st to trade up to high teens to draft HaHa/Pryor. Use 2nd round pick to draft Yankey/Xavier.

Sure trading a future first round pick is not desirable to many but filling the holes on the OL, CB, S positions with premier talent is worth it. Besides, rams would be trading a future late first-rounder after a deep playoff run this year.

It's not worth it. Go back and look at deals where teams traded their future 1st, it almost always ends disastrously for that team.

The odds are just as good that you trade a top 10 pick as they are that you trade a late first rounder.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I tend to agree with the OP.
As long as our receivers get good coaching,Sam is behind center,our OLine is upgraded and executes,we run the ball and our scheme allows our WR's to run routes that are designed to produce YAC...we'll be fine with what we've got. (y)

Alan

Legend
laramsoriginal with this head scratcher:
Trade up using rams 2nd round pick plus next years 1st to trade up to high teens to draft HaHa/Pryor. Use 2nd round pick to draft Yankey/Xavier.
Only if they put a bazooka to my head and offered to throw in Joyner and Watkins. :LOL:

Seriously though, no way. I wouldn't even do that for next year's 3rd rounder. I love you priorities though. :)

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Thats the spirit. A solid OL will make EVERY position on the offense better. It all starts up front......I think that should be my new mantra.

laramsoriginal

Starter
It's not worth it. Go back and look at deals where teams traded their future 1st, it almost always ends disastrously for that team.

The odds are just as good that you trade a top 10 pick as they are that you trade a late first rounder.

Its a gamble no noubt but desperate times call for desperate measures. Its been more than a decade since the rams made the playoffs. Arizona, Seattle, and 49ers all improved/filled holes on their roster via FA while the rams stood idle. Rams plan is to build the roster via draft so going all in in 2014 is a good idea. If not now, then when?

Ram_of_Old

It is sort of like being in a candy shop and not knowing which to pick...Robinson, Matthews, Watkins, Clowney..? THANK YOU DANNY SNYDER. The little idiot with money...

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Its a gamble no noubt but desperate times call for desperate measures. Its been more than a decade since the rams made the playoffs. Arizona, Seattle, and 49ers all improved/filled holes on their roster via FA while the rams stood idle. Rams plan is to build the roster via draft so going all in in 2014 is a good idea. If not now, then when?

We finally get a front office that knows how to manipulate the draft to their favor and you want to go and trade away a future first rounder? That's the team's future, and most likely will turn into multiple picks with the way Snead works his magic.

Not worth it at all IMHO with Snead and Fisher commanding the ship.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's not desperate times. We have one of the league's youngest rosters. This sounds like instant gratification when we do not need it.

laramsoriginal

Starter
It's not desperate times. We have one of the league's youngest rosters. This sounds like instant gratification when we do not need it.

rams have had the youngest roster for what, like 2 years now? Probably 3 years after the draft? Time to fill the holes now and stop waiting for another year to develop the team when the rams are in striking distance.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
rams have had the youngest roster for what, like 2 years now? Probably 3 years after the draft? Time to fill the holes now and stop waiting for another year to develop the team when the rams are in striking distance.

Are in striking distance for what? We've been rebuilding and gradually filling holes over the last few years...and it's working. Now isn't the time to get desperate and make moves that historically were bad gambles. We have a young team. We have a lot of draft resources this year to add to the young team and we don't have that many holes. Continue building. Don't do something that could really screw our team over.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I'd rather still get Sammy, I love Givens and I feel like he can beat this slump, but that said. I feel like his ceiling is around 2nd WR, not number 1. We still need that go to guy for Sam whenever things get hot and Chris doesn't seem like that guy.

RamzFanz

Damnit
What I love about the draft debates is I'm always pleased with the results whichever way they go. The Rams are in the drivers seat and the talent is there. In Snisher we trust.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
This time of year it's easy to get swayed one way or another. I love Watkins as a third option for us in this draft. I can only see it happening if we trade down TWICE within the top ten. My first two options...

1. Trade offers suck, we take the only player in this draft generally mentioned as a super elite prospect. Clowney!

2. We trade down to 4 or five, Robinson is the pick.

3. Really crazy trade downs = Watkins.