I'm asking again.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would think that having "power" to push away a guy on the line could be measured by bench press but I think it would make more sense to know what a guy could throw up 2-3 times. I say that because in the course of a play at the most you are going to get three chances to push a guy off of you and shed him.

A guy who can put up 420 three times is going to have an edge over a guy who can only put up 375 I would think.

Sure. What reps measure is upper body endurance though. There's recovery time - but linemen do have to battle it out scores of times in a game.

And it's not that reps are the only number that matters - poor performance in that can be overcome with other skills. I brought it up because one of the concerns for Clowney IS his work ethic and drive, after his 2013 season. A relatively poor score on something that can be improved through hard work is worrisome, at the very least. If he works hard he can overcome it, and as I said it should be less of an issue for a 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 DE who routinely immediately engages with a blocker on nearly every play. Since he would have been a DE with the Rams, I'm glad the Rams don't have to worry about his drive, and ended up with Robinson and Donald instead.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I liked Donald over Clowney all along(before the draft).
Clowney at #1 is a much bigger risk than Donald at #13. That may sound like a Mr Obvious statement, but i don't trust Clowney as a pro at all.
IMO he's going to be a disappointment.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
In Clowney, i see a tremendously talented kid who lacks technique in his heart.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"C" is always a good answer in multi-choice.......My only curiosity is, why would Clowney risk playing on a pulled groin, sports hernia for an entire college season?

Why would Jack Youngblood play on a broken leg?

Love of the game. Love of the team. Drive to win. Competitive fire. All good reasons...interestingly enough all things people said Clowney lacks or lacked.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quinn had spent a year working out on his own, without access to the team's weight coach or any other advantages, thanks to his being ineligible due to the gift from an agent. That he was only a little behind players who had been able to work out with coaches for the previous year is actually impressive.

And remember - Quinn's rookie season wasn't much because he just wasn't ready - both in technique and in strength.

Clowney apparently didn't put in the work to build up the upper body endurance which is certainly useful for players who are fighting for position and will need to shed blockers. It can be overcome if he starts putting in the work - I'm just skeptical he really will consistently put in the work to make the most of his otherwise impressive talents. I think it's all too possible that he does enough to be good - but never becomes consistently great.

Aldon Smith put up 20 reps at the Combine. The bench press is pretty much meaningless. I've seen Aldon Smith put many NFL OTs on their ass because you don't rush the passer laying on your back.

IMO, you've got your mind made up with Clowney and are using the bench press reps to justify your opinion. As RF14 said earlier, there are countless examples of successful NFL players that did about the same or worse than Clowney on the bench at the Combine.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

Love of the game. Love of the team. Drive to win. Competitive fire. All good reasons...interestingly enough all things people said Clowney lacks or lacked.

Comparing JACK YOUNGBLOOD to Clowney? Really?!? Hmm, College to Pro's? Playoffs/Superbowl to the whole college season? I get the love part, competitive fire, drive....Seems a lil risky...JMO

nighttrain

Legend

funny stuff on a #1 pick, Youngblood second only to the Deacon as all time DE
train

RamsFan14

Starter
Does the position change to OLB/elephant make your assessment any different?

Hmmm good question, I would say....... That's a real tough one... Yea it probably makes the learning curve tougher, but having Watt to play with is defiantly going to help him. At a talent standpoint, I still think Clowney edges out Donald by a little bit. What happens after year 1, I have no idea... That's a good question tho!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Comparing JACK YOUNGBLOOD to Clowney? Really?!? Hmm, College to Pro's? Playoffs/Superbowl to the whole college season? I get the love part, competitive fire, drive....Seems a lil risky...JMO

Comparing? Nah. I was using a well known Ram who played through a bad injury as an example. I have a feeling Youngblood would have done it in college too. Some guys will play through the pain, some won't. Despite what some will claim based on the Kentucky game, Clowney is a guy who will play through pain.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Who was better, Bruce Smith or John Randle?

Answer - who cares? They were both awesome. Clowney and Donald are both awesome prospects as well.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why ask again? I don't know how you can possibly judge this at all before these guys are even sized for their pads. For our sake, I hope it is Donald, but i just don't see how this is even possible to think about.
I defer to your judgement El Juggernauto, as to who is more talented. I was just judging on the whole package I have seen so far. What is all this deal with the injury? Where's the truth at? Somebody has been (many people) a little bit shady with this deal. Of course, big money has been involved. A trump over many other things. I still say, I'd rather have Donald watching my back. I still respect your opinion and want to hear more.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Clowney has all the talent in the world, he's pretty much got everything you'd want in a DE. Pairing him up with Watt is going to be nuts! Donald def has the talent too, but there's a reason Clowney went number 1 and Donald didn't. Sorry guys, gotta go Clowney at the moment (he's probably not the best fit for our team, but in terms of talent I think he beats Donald). We'll see what happens on the field, I'm just making my judgement based on what they've done in college.

Ifeel like i"m butting my head against a brick wall when I contradict you guys with all the knowledge, but sometimes, it just doesn't add up in my addled brain. Just comparing their last two years in college, and who went forward, and who went backwards, and who shined in the biggest games in primetime right before the big show, I've made my decision. I've been wrong before. :unsure:

RamzFanz

Damnit
Ifeel like i"m butting my head against a brick wall when I contradict you guys with all the knowledge, but sometimes, it just doesn't add up in my addled brain. Just comparing their last two years in college, and who went forward, and who went backwards, and who shined in the biggest games in primetime right before the big show, I've made my decision. I've been wrong before. :unsure:

Eh, no worries, we are here to hear opinions. (y)

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I defer to your judgement El Juggernauto, as to who is more talented. I was just judging on the whole package I have seen so far. What is all this deal with the injury? Where's the truth at? Somebody has been (many people) a little bit shady with this deal. Of course, big money has been involved. A trump over many other things. I still say, I'd rather have Donald watching my back. I still respect your opinion and want to hear more.

I have purposely stayed away from this thread because I don't feel it is actually an answerable question. I know we NEED an A.Donald a lot more than we needed a Clowney. But as far as pure athletic talent, there is no one that touches Clowney. I'm Hoping that Donald bust his ass and shows that he is the stud we all hope for. But it's just too early to tell at this point.

RamsFan14

Starter

OldRock, I've been wrong A BILLION times lol, no one really KNOWS how these two players will turn out and how they'll compare in a few years. The Clowney and Donald argument its just my opinion, who legit knows... But I'd like to be wrong about my analysis if you catch my drift! (y)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Anyone who saw Faulk at San Diego St knew better than to believe anyone calling him lazy! I NEVER heard any such thing! I'm not saying what Clowney can be, what I know is what I saw...and I saw a player who plays when he wants to.
If you were to ask Jim Rome,he would probably sAy Marshall Faulk was the toughest college player he ever saw.
I remember he had like 200 yards & was going to break a NCAA record for freshman rushing.He played with a bleeding rupture ?
What ever he was playing with could have killed him.He beat USC almost by himself.

With Clowney he will be good.He just didn't fit what The Rams needed.Couldn't imagine The Rams taking Clowney over Robinson like they said. Donald fits perfect next to Brockers.It was a total luxury pick.
I wanted to trade back for Matthews at 7.It just made sense.I love the Robinson & Donald picks.This is what Devaney said he wanted to do,build inside out.

RAM's-NWST

UDFA
Both have rare natural physical talents. But IMHO, AD is far ahead in technique and is also exactly what we needed on our DL ... an interior pass rush threat. He will also benefit from all the talent around him.

I am interested in opinion if many on this board see Clowney as similar to Robert Quinn when he was drafted? If so, does that translate more to being an impact player more in year 2+ versus Donald perhaps having more of an impact in year 1? My take is that Donald's skills and readiness have him more ready to make an impact right away in addition to benefiting from the defensive front he is playing with, scheme and coaching. It's a way early conclusion, but hey it's Rams talk during the summer.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
The Texans had another #1overall end who was supremely talented but had a second tier motor in Mario Williams who didn't look so good his first year and he didn't even have a position switch that required development in twice as many assignments. They will wisely protect him in specialized packages to maximize Clowney's strengths. Naturally, every highlight play he makes will be hyped by the media so the recognition will come.

Donald will quietly have more impact being surrounded by incredible talent on all sides (unlike the Texans who boast only one premium player on the line, two at LB, and one in the secondary). My belief is that as the season progresses and the defense dominates, Donald's production will become better noticed nationally but not to Clowney's level in spite of Donald's greater impact.