ILB starters

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

swmizzou83

Starter
Anyone else extremely worried about who is lining up next to Littleton? Is Hager a capable starter or are we in trouble?

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I trust the brass. But I am nervous that we will have the same gash problems up the middle. I had high hopes for Kiser being a tackling machine, and still have high hopes for Gaines making a difference up the middle.

I love Littleton as an athlete, if he can go side to side, and just be a playmaker.

Hager just seems like a high effort guy that may get caught up in blocks. I hope I am wrong.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Hager can be solid. He isn’t going to make the pro bowl but he can cover adequately and he won’t put himself way out of position. He knows the D and he has the best defensive line in the game in front of him. He will be fine - and if the brass isn’t comfortable, there are about to be hundreds of new free agents next week.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bryce Hager, been around and most of us liked him as a special team player, but not as a starter and most of us thought that Hager would not be brought back, but he was and he's now the starter after the injury to Kiser.

Hager at times has looked solid, however, at times, like against the Cowboys after the sack taking the wrong angle and allowing a huge gain by the running back in order to set up Dallas on an easier 3rd down play.

We have to keep in mind a couple of things, Hager, will only be on the field 30% of the time and then the Rams will bring in a different package and there are the likes of Dakota Allen, Trevin Howard & even Taylor Rapp (Barron's role) waiting in the wings and I would not be shocked if Allen is the starter by mid season, but I expect Hager to fill the void until then.

fearsomefour

Legend
I don’t think the ILB next to Littleton changed much with Kisers injury.
He was not flashing at all. That’s ok, just need solid play.
Hager, ehh.
I think we are going to see various alignments. Mathews, Fowler and Littleton will be on the field a lot.
If Oko or Samson come on you could see Mathews slide inside more.
Rapp could play some down in the box when Wade uses that 3/3/5 alignment.
A lot of shifting etc.
The term “starter” for that position doesn’t mean what it might.
Hager can’t not fill gaps like vs Dallas.
With our first two games a lot will show pretty quickly.
I’m curious about how it will shake out, not worried.
I’m also curious if the massive problems with coverage in the secondary has been resolved.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Yes, of course. Hager has been a career back up for a reason. My feeling is, the other options are too green. If Hager plays solid and doesnt run himself out of position, he will keep the job most of the season. He won't be on the field more than 25% of defensive plays any way. If he does what I saw him do against Dallas 2 weeks ago. He will get replaced by the younger, higher upside rookies. The coaches just need a guy that won't be the week link in run stopping with all the other playmakers.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have stated this several times in other discussions.....Wade & Barry have several very good options on which direction they go here.

But let me take this discussion to remind us that another area in front of Hager has been a serious concern before Hager was named starter & they work closely .....

I believe our 2018 up the middle run breakdowns were not just with Coach Barry's LB'ing unit but Coach Johnson's DL too. Question I would like to know is there any members here who believe otherwise?

No use looking backwards here, but we have a new DL coach Henderson who I think is just what the doctor ordered to get the DL front working fully operational up front on run down assignments. So let me start here. Sebastian Joseph-Day is the type of NT that is built to stay home. There was a reason he was a 6th rd pick in 2018. SJD was present for every defensive play last season & for all the meetings on what went wrong in the DL that caused all those big gaps.

SJD is our biggest DL'er who is the ideal NT to work between Brockers & Donald. SJD is a really powerful DL'er who can push those inside OL'ers moving backwards. He does have a short big burst. Henderson by now has made it clear to him to remain @ home base playing his blocks & when to come off them (we have seen this already), which will make SJD effective run stuffing NT in time.

We have already seen him holding his ground something we did not see much of last season. From all I have read on SJD he is a true hard-working and passionate high character, great attitude very coach able with relentless work ethic. Its expected that he will be a bully in the trenches but as a two-down NT this season for coach Henderson. The main issue they have been focusing on thus far on what is basically a rookie player has been on his consistency & fundamentals. IT takes some time here in real time game experience.

When we see SJD with Donald & Brockers in regular season I expect the MLB'ers performance Hager or whoever to be much better than 2018.

Sebastian Joseph-Day’s preseason enthusiasm likely will be sidelined against Texans
By Gary Klein

Most Rams starters are happy not to be playing in the final exhibition game, against the Houston Texans. Nose tackle Sebastian Joseph-Day is not among them. The second-year pro seeks as much opportunity as possible.“I feel like you can never get enough reps,” Joseph-Day said this week. “There’s not enough reps in the world.”

Despite Joseph-Day’s enthusiasm for more experience, coach Sean McVay and defensive coordinator Wade Phillips won’t risk injury to a player who will play an important role when they open the season Sept. 8 against the Carolina Panthers. “He’s kind of established himself as somebody that we’re counting on,” McVay said Tuesday.The Rams selected Joseph-Day in the sixth round of the 2018 draft after he played at Rutgers. Last season, on a team that featured veteran tackle Ndamukong Suh, Joseph-Day was not active for any games.

The Rams, who paid Suh nearly $15 million in salary and incentives, gave up 122.3 yards rushing per game, which ranked 23rd among 32 teams. They let Suh become a free agent and watched as the 6-foot-4, 310-pound Joseph-Day made big strides during offseason workouts.

The Rams selected tackle Greg Gaines in the fourth round of April’s draft, but Joseph-Day’s performance during training camp put him atop the depth chart to line up between Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers in a 3-4 scheme. “He picks things up really fast, he’s very intelligent,” Brockers, a seven-year veteran, said of Joseph-Day. “He’s still young, so there’s some stuff he has to learn, just about the nuances of the game. “But as far as knowing where he’s supposed to be … the guy is a great athlete and, like I said, very smart.”

One of the most important aspects of playing nose tackle, Brockers said, is understanding that it is not typically a high-profile position. “People will be calling for you to get more sacks and stuff like that when you’re getting double-teamed,” he said. “You have to understand what comes with that position, and he has that mind-set.” Joseph-Day chuckled as he explained the life of a nose tackle.

“If they’re running the ball, you know, you get all the blame,” he said. “If they’re not running the ball, you get all the glory. Everyone’s like, ‘What in the world? Look at the nose tackle.’” Joseph-Day performed well during joint practices with the Chargers and Oakland Raiders. He played 14 snaps on defense and one on special teams in the exhibition opener against the Raiders, and 11 snaps on defense and one on special teams against the Dallas Cowboys.

Last week, he was scheduled to start against the Denver Broncos, but he experienced hamstring tightness, and McVay said Joseph-Day was held out for precautionary reasons.So the opener against the Panthers will be the first time Joseph-Day lines up in a game between Donald, the two-time NFL defensive player of the year, and Brockers. Joseph-Day said he was not yet looking ahead to the opener. “This game is very humbling,” he said, “and when you look too far ahead, that’s when you get humbled.”

Last edited:

dang

Legend
I think we were in trouble in certain situations with either Hager or Kiser. Both looked like the could fill a whole but weren’t the dynamic run stuffing ILB we wanted to drastically improve our run defense. I am not expecting much run stuffing improvement from out ILB unit this year so it’s up to the front line to improve.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I think we were in trouble in certain situations with either Hager or Kiser. Both looked like the could fill a whole but weren’t the dynamic run stuffing ILB we wanted to drastically improve our run defense. I am not expecting much run stuffing improvement from out ILB unit this year so it’s up to the front line to improve.
Regardless of the package, my highest hopes for filling that bit of grass, as far as “playmaking” might be when we have Dakota Allen or Taylor Rapp in there.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think that Allen starts sooner rather than later.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They will start with Hager but I expect by midseason Allen will take his job. This defense will be better with his instincts and physicality.

And if Hager can hold onto it... Well that means he is gettin it done.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Hager has subbed for an injured Olgletree and played capably. He did not stand out but was not a liability either and that was playing more snaps in Tree's role. I have also seen Hager used quite often in goal line situations too over the last few years. That apparent bad gap read against Dallas this preseason has left a bad impression of him. He is capable but unspectacular and the spot he is playing is the most minimally used starting role on the defense so I am not worried about him. Granted, he is not an ideal starter for that spot but he can handle the duties and he adds more beef than Barron did at that spot. If Hagar does struggle then one of the youngsters like Allen will get a chance to shine.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Bryce Hager, been around and most of us liked him as a special team player, but not as a starter and most of us thought that Hager would not be brought back, but he was and he's now the starter after the injury to Kiser.

Hager at times has looked solid, however, at times, like against the Cowboys after the sack taking the wrong angle and allowing a huge gain by the running back in order to set up Dallas on an easier 3rd down play.

We have to keep in mind a couple of things, Hager, will only be on the field 30% of the time and then the Rams will bring in a different package and there are the likes of Dakota Allen, Trevin Howard & even Taylor Rapp (Barron's role) waiting in the wings and I would not be shocked if Allen is the starter by mid season, but I expect Hager to fill the void until then.

. I want to see how he does after week 2 or 3. If he's solid and getting better each week I wont have a problem with keeping him in there. but if he's struggling mightily lets give one of the young guys a chance.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Last seasons starting MLB'er who played & started in all 19 games is still here & healthy. Fact is he just received a good pay raise in the off-season too....his name is Cory Littleton...... remember him?

The plan was to slide CL over a few feet into the Mark Barron's post & insert a true MLB'er type into CL's old post Micah Kiser with Bryce Hager, Troy Reeder, Ketner Kupp & Natrez Patrick to compete as Kiser's back up. Kiser was injured & soon set for the IR & now we have seen the rest playing for the opportunity to earn a spot on the 53.

In the other ILB'er post we have watched Travin Howard & Dakota Allen perform in CL's post. Fact is both have performed rather well. Howard would seem to have won the reserve spot behind CL. The problem is Dakota Allen has SPECIAL stamped all over him. Do you find it a bit odd we have not seen Dakota Allen lined up @ MLB'er post yet? It's his size 6-1/232 ? If NT SJD does his job then Dakota Allen might be the best long term MLB'er this season IMO.

Wade/Barry could return CL back to MLB'er post if Hager goes "FailMode" & utilize Howard & Allen in Mark Barron's 2017/2018 post.

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's all up to Rapp, honestly. He's small, yes - but he will be in the game on passing downs, and if he plays well enough, maybe he can get a 50/50 split with Hager.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Very possible its starts out Hager and after a couple games he gets switched out. Similar to Mo Alexander a couple of years ago.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe our 2018 up the middle run breakdowns were not just with Coach Barry's LB'ing unit but Coach Johnson's DL too.

Yes. I expect the Rams' up the middle defense on the DL to be significantly improved. One of their focuses this offseason was getting a guy to fill the holes without freelancing, and to make sure there was depth by getting the right guys up to speed in TC. It may not be the best run defense in the league, but I expect a large improvement.

Ram65

Legend
Hager covers better that Kiser so that's a positive. He needs to not hurt the Rams against the run. Everyone on defense has to step up against the run. I think he will be alright but, he needs help. Littleton has to step up in the run game. It should be interesting to watch. If he can't do the job, then Allen is an alternative.