If you were Les Snead would you consider?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
If you were Les Snead and the player(s) you really wanted is not available at your pick at #16 or #22 would you consider trading one of those picks for a team's 1st round selection in next year's Draft? If Matt Barkley, Geno Smith, Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennon, etc drop to the Rams picks there could be teams willing to pay a good price to trade up (at least that is my hope!) to get their future QB. I am certainly no Draft expert but from what I have read next year's Draft has the potential to be much better than this year's Draft (in fact, it sounds like it could be one of the best drafts in many years). The possibility of players like DE Jadeveon Clowney, WR's Marqise Lee & Sammy Watkins, OL Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan & Cyrus Kouandjio, LB CJ Mosley, etc the Rams with 3 #1 picks could possibly get one or more of these or other quality players in next year's draft which in the long run could prove to be more long-term value than drafting a player they may not be that excited about this year.

Playmaker

paceram said:
If you were Les Snead and the player(s) you really wanted is not available at your pick at #16 or #22 would you consider trading one of those picks for a team's 1st round selection in next year's Draft? If Matt Barkley, Geno Smith, Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennon, etc drop to the Rams picks there could be teams willing to pay a good price to trade up (at least that is my hope!) to get their future QB. I am certainly no Draft expert but from what I have read next year's Draft has the potential to be much better than this year's Draft (in fact, it sounds like it could be one of the best drafts in many years). The possibility of players like DE Jadeveon Clowney, WR's Marqise Lee & Sammy Watkins, OL Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan & Cyrus Kouandjio, LB CJ Mosley, etc the Rams with 3 #1 picks could possibly get one or more of these or other quality players in next year's draft which in the long run could prove to be more long-term value than drafting a player they may not be that excited about this year.

100% yes and without giving away my "one and only" mock draft results, I think that is the plan for Snead and Fisher with the #22 pick. Whoever doesn't take a QB out of these teams, Jacksonville, Buffalo, Philadelphia, NY Jets, and maybe even Cleveland will be looking to jump back into the back end of the first round to get a Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennon, or maybe even E.J. Manuel. If New Orleans gave up a next years first round pick to trade back into the first round in 2011 to get Mark Ingram, then yes a team will do that for a QB. I've stated that you can get the same type of player in picks 16-50 this year that you will 1-15. It is a lot like the 2009 Draft. It sucks to have a top 10 pick this year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Interesting. I don't know if the value is there though. Giving up a first next year with players like the ones you described being available? Some team would REALLY have to covet a player this year in order to forfeit their first next year. I'd definitely do it if I was Snead. Next year would complete the rebuild with THREE first rounders.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Interesting question. Assuming the pick would feasibly be better than our pick this year, I can see them doing it. You forgot to mention Johnny Football could enter next year as well. Could be a GREAT time to have extra picks.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Not straight up. A 1 for a 1.

But as a bigger package? Absolutely!

A trade like that would also help alleviate a little cap pressure this year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't think the Rams would consider that, unless it included their 2nd rounder this year.

The Rams have the chance to win now and have holes to fill in this draft.

Two picks next year are already extra pieces for next year.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yeah, I'd do it.

But that 16th pick would have to be a home run. We gotta win now, too.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Dude said:
Interesting. I don't know if the value is there though. Giving up a first next year with players like the ones you described being available? Some team would REALLY have to covet a player this year in order to forfeit their first next year. I'd definitely do it if I was Snead. Next year would complete the rebuild with THREE first rounders.

I almost made this exact statement. I am not sure any team is so desperate to grab a player in this draft that they would mortgage a pick in next years draft. Dream scenario is that a bottom feeder team falls head over heals with one of the QBs this year and moves uip to our 16 or 22. That would most likely end up being our highest pick next year. Talk about a haul if that happened!!??!!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Faceplant said:
Interesting question. Assuming the pick would feasibly be better than our pick this year, I can see them doing it. You forgot to mention Johnny Football could enter next year as well. Could be a GREAT time to have extra picks.

Ive been saying for some time now that the Rams can parlay these picks into extra selections for a few years or so rather than just the two they have the extra #1's in. If Snead wheels and deals the Rams can end up loading up on talent from the Washington trade. In fact I hope they do pick up some extras for next year since this years draft isn't stocked with the type of playmakers they really need.

The combo of the trade and the rookie cap and the new regime came at just the right time for this ball club. Stars aligned LOL.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
LesBaker said:
Faceplant said:

Ive been saying for some time now that the Rams can parlay these picks into extra selections for a few years or so rather than just the two they have the extra #1's in. If Snead wheels and deals the Rams can end up loading up on talent from the Washington trade. In fact I hope they do pick up some extras for next year since this years draft isn't stocked with the type of playmakers they really need.

The combo of the trade and the rookie cap and the new regime came at just the right time for this ball club. Stars aligned LOL.

Amen. When was the last time we could say THAT about this franchise???

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Faceplant said:
LesBaker said:
Faceplant said:

Amen. When was the last time we could say THAT about this franchise???

1999 but that got all effed up and I don't think this will be a three year run like it was form 99-01. This is going to be something along the lines of the Ravens or Patriots.....long term success and multiple/annual opportunities in the post season.

These guys are serious bidniz IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
paceram said:

This draft is thick and nice all the way to about the 70th pick. This 2013 draft is special in this case so trying to get extra picks in the 2nd & 3rd should prove very beneficial to this Ram team. Next draft looks to have way more sizzle in the top 25 when compared to this one. I do not see any draft pick that would be available @ #16 or #22 that is close to be worth a #1 in 2014. I would trade down in order to make a deal for as much as I can to pick up extra picks in the 2nd,3rd & 4th rds.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I were to pick a team, I'd say Buffalo. Oakland would be my #1 choice but they won't trade another future 1st. If not Buffalo or Oakland, my next choice would be the Jets.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Not in a million years. This would set us back at least another year in terms of developing a high draft pick. It would then take two years to get production from that said player. I'd trade down and pick up more in THIS draft, but not next years.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I want to see a GM trade for a first round pick in 20 years... Just keep collecting them.

Then suddenly one year, 20 years down the road this team has 32 first round selections.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
DR RAM said:
Not in a million years. This would set us back at least another year in terms of developing a high draft pick. It would then take two years to get production from that said player. I'd trade down and pick up more in THIS draft, but not next years.
+1

…..

Legend
DR RAM said:

concur. it does'nt jive with the 3 year plan that resulted from the robert griffin deal.