If you were confident that Quick would break out this year... (first 3 picks)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I get an average of 3 per game over the last 5. Maybe Quick progresses, but Bailey still showed me more at the end of the year than Quick has in the last 2 years.

You just want to look at numbers. Why won't you even acknowledge the conditions that they were forced to play under the last nine games of the season?

I prefer to look at a game such as the Carolina game, prior to Bradford going down as what I envision 2014 looking like. Stacy established as a threat in the running game. They took shots downfield with Bradford on a regular basis. And it was Quick who seemed to be primed for a huge game. WITH BRADFORD throwing the deep and intermediate routes, that Clemens was NOT capable of throwing.

I will be the first to admit, Quick needs to be more consistent catching the ball. But if you really watch the entire field, and not just where the ball went, Clemens NEVER looked at Quick, when he would be open running these intermediate and deep dig routes. He was very eager to dump the ball to one of the TEs, or find an underneath route.

And as far as Bailey, you also have to account for the fact that his snap count was impacted the final 3 games due to Austin being injured.

iced

You just want to look at numbers. Why won't you even acknowledge the conditions that they were forced to play under the last nine games of the season?

I prefer to look at a game such as the Carolina game, prior to Bradford going down as what I envision 2014 looking like. You had Stacy established as a threat in he running game. They took shots downfield with Bradford on a regular basis. And it was Quick who seemed to be primed for a huge game. WITH BRADFORD throwing the deep and intermediate routes, that Clemens was NOT capable of throwing.

I will be the first to admit, Quick needs to be more consistent catching the ball. But if you really watch the entire field, and not just where the ball went, Clemens NEVER looked at Quick, when he would be open running these intermediate and deep dig routes. He was very eager to dump the ball to one of the TEs, or find an underneath route.
Quick also wasn't on the field that much. Even when Austin went down, Bailey was the one that stole snaps.

Quick's highest snap count game came in .

And he actually got the fewest snaps in the Carolina game - so it does beg the question, how much do they really trust him (yet)?

I prefer to look at a game such as the Carolina game, prior to Bradford going down as what I envision 2014 looking like. Stacy established as a threat in the running game. They took shots downfield with Bradford on a regular basis. And it was Quick who seemed to be primed for a huge game. WITH BRADFORD throwing the deep and intermediate routes, that Clemens was NOT capable of throwing.

And as far as Bailey, you also have to account for the fact that his snap count was impacted the final 3 games due to Austin being injured.

"Such as" suggest there are multiple ( :rolleyes: numbers again) games where Quick did something so which other ones are you thinking of. I'll give Quick the benefit of any doubt and pretend he didn't drop an easy TD in that one ( :rolleyes: ) game.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
"Such as" suggest there are multiple ( :rolleyes: numbers again) games where Quick did something so which other ones are you thinking of. I'll give Quick the benefit of any doubt and pretend he didn't drop an easy TD in that one ( :rolleyes: ) game.

Yeah, cuz he is the first and only WR to ever drop a TD pass.

Look, this is pointless. I like Quick and what I think he can develop into. I get that I am in the minority. But I also try to look at things beyond raw numbers, and see how players are used, and what they are asked to do. When I look at this roster, given another off season to develop, I believe Brian Quick will surprise a lot of doubters in 2014.

It an apples and oranges conversation when trying to discuss this group of WRs with Bradford coming back, compared to what they "achieved" with Clemens.

lockdnram21

Legend
Quick also wasn't on the field that much. Even when Austin went down, Bailey was the one that stole snaps.

Quick's highest snap count game came in .

And he actually got the fewest snaps in the Carolina game - so it does beg the question, how much do they really trust him (yet)?

i would have to disagree most of the time Quick was second or 3rd in snaps and like coach said clemens rarely looked his way but when he did throw it his way he caught it

lockdnram21

Legend

Look, this is pointless. I like Quick and what I think he can develop into. I get that I am in the minority. But I also try to look at things beyond raw numbers, and see how players are used, and what they are asked to do. When I look at this roster, given another off season to develop, I believe Brian Quick will surprise a lot of doubters in 2014.

It an apples and oranges conversation when trying to discuss this group of WRs with Bradford coming back, compared to what they "achieved" with Clemens.

you know if dont nobody else agree with you on this topic you know i do i cant wait for next season. i also think Givens will bounce back and play like he did rookie year. The key is the running game.

Name
JP
Why do you continue to insist on using the label of "#1WR"? It just isn't necessary. THE BEST teams, including DENVER, would be hard pressed to identify a true #1 guy last year. I am in no way trying to compare Rams receivers to the quality of teams such as Green Bay, New Orleans, or Denver. But the concept is still the same.

Everyone loves the idea of having a monster "#1" like C. Johnson, but at the end of the day, those teams are rarely successful unless they have an alternative to compliment "the go to guy".

As to the Rams, I would be VERY comfortable going into the season with Quick, Bailey, Austin & Cook as the guys getting the majority of the reps, with Givens in the "take the top off" guy mixed in. The biggest addition to this group, IMO, will be guys named BRADFORD & STACY.

You're right about Denver, they didn't have a #1 WR, they had three of them in Demaryius, Decker, and Julius. Then that Welker guy was pretty good in the slot.

All those teams listed have a guy that would and are considered "#1" WRs. With the exception of Seattle, I will give you. But you don't see to many winning teams now a days who are not loaded at WR.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame

You can add me to that minority then. Like you said of you're not just staring at the ball, he did well and he'll improve.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I get an average of 3 per game over the last 5. Maybe Quick progresses, but Bailey still showed me more at the end of the year than Quick has in the last 2 years.
I like Bailey and think he is going to be a good player but I think Quick has shown flashes that display better talent and more power than Bailey. The catch v 9ers in first year for TD where he tossed the db like a rag doll and then ran it in.
http://www.nflcdn.com/videos/nfl-ga...ord-connects-with-Quick-for-a-36-yard-TD-pass

And he blocks better too, he is big and locks on to a guy and drives him out of the play there is no getting off the block.

And Bailey can't do this:

http://www.nflcdn.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000111653/Quick-4-yard-TD-catch

Last edited:

iced

i would have to disagree most of the time Quick was second or 3rd in snaps and like coach said clemens rarely looked his way but when he did throw it his way he caught it

no, he wasn't. check it out. he only registered 35% of offensive snaps for the whole season.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

that's 4th best.. and toward the end of the season, even bailey got more than him

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Bailey and think he is going to be a good player but I think Quick has shown flashes that display better talent and more power than Bailey. The catch v 9ers in first year for TD where he tossed the db like a rag doll and then ran it in.
http://www.nflcdn.com/videos/nfl-ga...ord-connects-with-Quick-for-a-36-yard-TD-pass

And he blocks better too, he is big and locks on to a guy and drives him out of the play there is no getting off the block.

http://www.nflcdn.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000111653/Quick-4-yard-TD-catch

I don't know about that:

Those 2 are both great players, if we could get that Quick for say 40 or so plays next season then I'm over the moon.

I wonder what 3 other plays would round out a Brian Quick top 5?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL I bet Quick would out rebound him he barely got up but did get great body position to sheild off the defenders.

Quick being able to out-rebound him is nice and all but I'd rather have the guy that's more likely to come down with the tough catch in traffic. And I'm not sold that's Quick. He has a lot of improving to do.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Quick being able to out-rebound him is nice and all but I'd rather have the guy that's more likely to come down with the tough catch in traffic. And I'm not sold that's Quick. He has a lot of improving to do.

lloyd-300x300.jpg

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I agree and think they both are capable with more reps.