If you were confident that Quick would break out this year... (first 3 picks)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
1. Robinson
2. Donald
3. Bucannon / Ward

They obviously saw something in this guy. Dude looks lost, so far...
I'm with Sierra here. This is the way I would go as well.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
See, I was the biggest fan in the world of the Cook signing last year. Unfortunately he proved just as lazy and disinterested as many of the doubters said he was when he came over. I don't know what the cap implications are, but wish the Rams would have just cut him and drafted a guy to go with Kendricks and Harkey, who I like a lot more than him.[/QUOT

Seriously he set a new record for Rams TEs you need to go back and check out some of the things he did and realize that even with the drops he had his production was excellent for the targets he got and the QB he played 9+ games with. It is not as if he got all of the TE targets for the Rams Harkey and Kendricks took a lot of reps away from him by plan. If you are disappointed your probably not going to be any happier going forward. This offense is NOT GOING TO HAVE A #1 GUY.

As for the contract shitty teams pay more to attract free agents that should be obvious by the two guys they got last year. It is a fact and will not change free agents want one of two things a chance to win a superbowl or a chance to hit the lottery with a big contract.

In your reply about Superbowl winners with #1WRs how many #1 WRs does a team get to have I presume only 1 sine he would be the #1 guy and only one is close to that in your list Ward. Graham is a TE and the rest are good but not #1 guys

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
1) JaDeveon Clowney DE South Carolina*
clowney1-300x224.jpg

1) Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
1201626.jpg

2) Brandon Thomas, OL, Clemson
brandon.thomas921.jpg

If we don't trade down, I wouldn't be surprised to see these top two picks and it's hard to argue against. I'm with you big-time; Dennard > Dix

That said... I wish I were more comfortable with our oline, and addressing it later scares me a little... We need to draft some guys capable of starting right away. Let's hope we find starter material in the 2nd (and 3rd!).

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Matthews and Gilbert

If Gilbert is gone then trade back from 13 if possible.

I'd be fine with Evans or Donald or Mosely etc...though. I don't get too uppity about who the Rams draft because as the OP stated, we don't really know the inside information about how they feel about their current players. I do get frustrated at missed trade opportunities or bad trade decisions though.

Quick supposedly was very good in camp last year. Reports were that he showed progress and was the most athletic player on the field. If true, then I don't think Fisher would be ready to give up on him after only two years. How many years did it take Vincent Jackson and TO to become good players?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Supposedly Fisher doesnt value Safeties all that much. So, it is not likely they go safety at 13. Supposedly he doesn't like taking Guards that high. Supposedly they only need a third cornerback, they just signed an expensive TE, they are good at RB, QB, Dline. Do they take a LBer at13 to play part time? They claim to want to let the WRs develop. So it really sounds like trading out of 13 will be what happens.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Question for you 2 guys though, if Quick doesnt emerge and the Rams dont bring in any more WRs, your alright going into next year with Chris Givens as your #1 WR?

Why do you continue to insist on using the label of "#1WR"? It just isn't necessary. THE BEST teams, including DENVER, would be hard pressed to identify a true #1 guy last year. I am in no way trying to compare Rams receivers to the quality of teams such as Green Bay, New Orleans, or Denver. But the concept is still the same.

Everyone loves the idea of having a monster "#1" like C. Johnson, but at the end of the day, those teams are rarely successful unless they have an alternative to compliment "the go to guy".

As to the Rams, I would be VERY comfortable going into the season with Quick, Bailey, Austin & Cook as the guys getting the majority of the reps, with Givens in the "take the top off" guy mixed in. The biggest addition to this group, IMO, will be guys named BRADFORD & STACY.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Question: Off the top of your head who's record did he break?
I honestly don't remember off the top of my head but that is not unusual my memory is not very good I sometimes forget a name within 5 minutes of being introduced:confused:

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
So close, Holohan's best season for the Rams was 640 yards, the previous record was 657, and the right decade as well, I'll let you answer again if you want before giving it away?

Edit: blackbart beat me to it :(
Historically, our TEs have sucked. We can put out arguably the best 53-man historical roster in the league, except for at tight end.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Doesn't change anything for me. Its still Watkins/Robinson/Jake Matthews/Dennard/Dix/Donald.

EDIT:

I think he will improve actually - maybe not "breakout" as in - pro bowl break out - but he should be up there as one of our leading recievers. 40 catches? 6-9 tds?? Then next year he'll have a real 4th year V. Jax style breakout.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
This is my hope as well.. Home run.. Build up the trenches first!!!!

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Clowney, Lewan, best Safety (Doubt HaHa or Pryor are left).

Historically, our TEs have sucked. We can put out arguably the best 53-man historical roster in the league, except for at tight end.

Glad someone saw my point, the argument that Cook is good because he set a Rams record when we've been so poor at that position is fairly weak.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Glad someone saw my point, the argument that Cook is good because he set a Rams record when we've been so poor at that position is fairly weak.
Not if you are comparing him to what the Rams have done in the past and not what Gonzales has done. When has he ever worked in an offense where there were 2 other TEs he was sharing targets with?

Thinking any of our guys is going to produce like an all time leader be it WR or TE is just not paying attention. The Rams are not going to have that kind of offense. This team is going to target 7 or 8 guys a game with 4-8 targets a game depending on game plan and opponent. Having 4 guys with 40-50 catches a year will be way more productive than 1 or 2 guys who are THE guy ever week.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

How old is the Rams franchise?

Must not be easy to find a pass catching TE?

pillowfight.gif

Last edited:
Not if you are comparing him to what the Rams have done in the past and not what Gonzales has done. When has he ever worked in an offense where there were 2 other TEs he was sharing targets with?

Thinking any of our guys is going to produce like an all time leader be it WR or TE is just not paying attention. The Rams are not going to have that kind of offense. This team is going to target 7 or 8 guys a game with 4-8 targets a game depending on game plan and opponent. Having 4 guys with 40-50 catches a year will be way more productive than 1 or 2 guys who are THE guy ever week.

So it's better to compare him to what the Rams have had in the past because they currently have an O where receivers will share targets?

If the Rams had a receiver of high quality he would get more targets on this team, if we had Megatron you don't keep on throwing to Givens just because that's your "philosophy", if we had Josh Gordon we wouldn't keep on throwing to Quick just because that's your "philosophy" if we did I'd have serious questions on Fisher/Schottenheimer.