IF you could build a team from the ground up...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What type of team would you build? Defense & run game like Seattle? Wide open pass-heavy scheme? Cover 2 on defense primarily, or a more risk-based blitzing approach? What combo would you be seeking on offense/defense.

I ask because as I look around this league it just seems like the passing game is the key to long term success moreso than it ever has been. And if you follow the trend I have to think teams that lock up the top offensive minds as their head coaches have the key to it all, because you don't have to sweat your offensive brain trust being immediately poached and they can give you the best return on QBs and skill position players you invest in, not to mention fill seats with all the action and scoring.

I think my choice would be a head coach that is an offensive guru, put him in place with a GM who can get him what he needs and be patient. I'd want a guy who philosophically prefers spreading out the defense and running the ball, because I believe that is the future of this league so why not ride the wave.

On defense I'd pair a nice cover 2 heavy system that can have interchanged coordinators due to simplicity, and which would go nicely with a high scoring offense. Good example here is what Carroll has done with Seattle, where they also don't have to invest high draft capital on rare cover guys because they can take guys who zone well, bigger guys who will have safety help over the top.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1st you get Johnny Hekker.....(no blue font)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
A fundamentally sound, disciplined team built around defense, special teams and ball control offense with a stud at QB.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I'd stick with being a team that relies on defense and running the football. Seattle, Denver, Carolina, San Francisco. We've seen many times in recent years how effective this approach is. The problem, in my opinion, is that Fisher just isn't the right man to implement it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I would go Defense first. I really think that a very good defense keeps you in more games than a high flying offense. We even saw with the GSOT that when it came down to playing the best defenses, even the best offense, maybe ever at that point, had troubles putting up points against really good defenses.

So I agree with @Prime Time - if you have good lines, you can get away with a pretty good QB and a bunch of role players. If you have a great QB, you increase the odds substantially.

That is why I don't see the end o days like many. I think the o-line needs either a little more time or a real beefy guard or two and we pull another good D-lineman in the next draft and the young guns on offense can be those role players. With any luck, Goff is that great QB.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As a fan .. I'd take a high flying we are gonna hang 50 on you don't care how many you're going to score because we will get more type of team with a strong secondary to take advantage of the oppo having to pass a lot

As a coach I'd go with a smash mouth you're gonna have to earn every inch you gain every blade of grass defense is the offence kinda approach with an o that can run the ball and grind the clock

Ellard80

Legend
Defense first... however if you can get a elite QB you go there first.

This is a QB league.

Ram65

Legend
I'm watching Prescott and Elliot being interviewed after beating the Steelers.

Look what a very good offensive line has done for them. Good defense and offensive lines allow you to build around them. A franchise QB to start with.

Side note------Now, Fisher almost drops the ball during his locker room victory speech.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would figure out a way to cheat. And when I got caught, deny deny deny.
Then I would figure out a better way to cheat

-Bill Belechick

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Trenches first (I know already been said) QB and skill positions next then fill in with as much talent as the cap and draft can provide. Defense first is great but go with where your personnel and strengths take you so be a little flexible when the situation calls

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'd build a good defense. Like the one we have.
Get a prime QB prospect like Goff.
Get a stud RB like Gurley.
Build a powerful oline. (This is where we are struggling at the moment)

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
steelers.jpg

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Defense still wins championships so I want a dominant defense first and foremost.

No matter how the league changes to cheat for the offensive passing game you can still beat them with a defense that can take control. Just like the SB against the cheatriots the refs are never going to throw a flag on every play against the defense.

On offense a great O line who can control the LOS and get push in the running game. Decent running game and a QB who can carry the load if needed. The QB doesn't need to win every game and throwing the ball 40+ times per game is not a winning philosophy.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I would start with coaching. Harbaugh as a head coach. Roman Gabriel as OC, Fassel on ST, and Williams on D. Same D. On offense I'd want a dominant oline for Gurley, and an accurate QB.

So, basically, I just want an upgrade to coaching an the offensive line.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
A fundamentally sound, disciplined team built around defense, special teams and ball control offense with a stud at QB.
I would just add in a "GSOT" Type Offence, w/ a "Fearsome-Foursome" Type Defense!(y)(y):D
I could go into greater detail about "Player Types" But let just say, they should live-up-to my Signature/ Moto Below

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Build the OL and DL trenches first. A strong Center, LT and dominating DL and DBs. Offense with a power RB. A sufficient QB with 1 Playmaking WR and 1 Playmaking TE.