If we sign Verner do you still want a CB in the Draft?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I do. I hope they take another guy similar to Tru...big, strong, and fast.

Someone like Pierre Desir, Stanley Jean-Baptiste, or Keith McGill.

The only other guy I'd be excited about is EJ Gaines...yes, I am a homer to some degree, but it is only because I've watched him shut down some receivers that he wasn't expected to. He's a good player.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
No. If we sign Verner, we should take HCD at 13*

* We should still take HCD at thirteen even if we don't sign Verner. Free safety is a bigger need than nickelback.

RamEERS

Pastor
...no? because by adding verner we already have enough CBs on the roster?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No. If we sign Verner, we should take HCD at 13*

* We should still take HCD at thirteen even if we don't sign Verner. Free safety is a bigger need than nickelback.
Ok?

The guys I listed are 2nd-4th round prospects. I'd take Clinton-Dix at 13 too.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
...no? because by adding verner we already have enough CBs on the roster?

There are never enough on the roster, IMO.

I think CB is a position you are always trying to get better at throughout your depth chart.

I mean, in todays NFL you need 3 good corners...so to me, you really need a 4th guy that can come in and play if there is an injury...is McGee that guy?

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe a 5-7th rounder just to take a shot but I would think that we don't need one since all of our guys would be so young

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope the don't sign Verner, and take a DB in rounds 2-3. They should still be a decent one there for them. I think Desir will be gone by the Rams second rounder.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Still have to look at CB there just can't be too many of them as we saw about 4 years ago when we were signing guys off the street to play.

VFerragamo

Cagey Veteran
Actually believe this is a Silver lining. Love Saffold but the guy just can't stay healthy.

Would rather spend my free agent dollars on Verner and go Matthews / Clinton Dix in the draft followed by the best OG avail at the top of the 2nd.

OL & Secondary shored up and we're ready to roll....

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Maybe a 5-7th rounder just to take a shot but I would think that we don't need one since all of our guys would be so young

I think it is also important to add to the position constantly so that when you have a young guy (like Jenkins and Johnson) who's contract is coming up you don't need to fork out the big bucks (similar to how we may be paying Verner big money while Tennessee is letting him walk based on their youth at the position)...

Just some thoughts...

wrstdude

Rookie
Yes-always need CB depth.

Still think they should draft S/FS in the 2nd. Hopefully w/ the first of 2 picks from a trade back of #2. Lots of good ones this year.

A55VA6

Legend
Fisher likes Brandon McGee a lot and expects him to contribute quite a bit this year, so I'd say they might go get one in the late rounds and not a high pick. You can never have enough corners.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it is also important to add to the position constantly so that when you have a young guy (like Jenkins and Johnson) who's contract is coming up you don't need to fork out the big bucks (similar to how we may be paying Verner big money while Tennessee is letting him walk based on their youth at the position)...

Just some thoughts...

Yeah i hear you. I think personally i'd rather go the un-drafted FA/late rounds if at all this year since getting Verner is essentially the same as drafting a CB high in the draft (he's 25).

Good point about the contracts though, I hadn't thought about that. Although, I have a feeling we are gonna want to fork up whatever Jenkins wants when his contract is up :bow:

Sure why not, we'd still need starters at both OG spots (and maybe one of those should be able to play LT (Robinson/Matthews)) and FS, I'd look to improve WR, after that you're drafting for depth, CB is as good an area as any.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Fisher likes Brandon McGee a lot and expects him to contribute quite a bit this year, so I'd say they might go get one in the late rounds and not a high pick. You can never have enough corners.
I've read that in this forum before...but I haven't actually heard it or read it in an article anywhere (which could just be my ignorance)...do you have any link or anything supporting that claim?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
After 2011, there is never never never never never such a think as to much depth. SO my answer is yes. There is a lot of CB talent this year from the 3rd round and beyond. There are even cb's who will be UDFA I really like.

We have a lot of late round picks this year, I expect at least one to be used on a cb if we haven't already grabbed one before then in the draft.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Sure. Can't have enough. Just think back to the 11 season. There could be a excellent value to fall and if it's there take the CB.
Something else to consider is JJ and Tru are halfway through their contracts, keeping both in the future may not be possible.

A55VA6

Legend
I've read that in this forum before...but I haven't actually heard it or read it in an article anywhere (which could just be my ignorance)...do you have any link or anything supporting that claim?
I'll try and find it, but it was in a video interview. Might have been in one of those Fisher Up Front segments.. I'd have to check.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I do. I hope they take another guy similar to Tru...big, strong, and fast.

Someone like Pierre Desir, Stanley Jean-Baptiste, or Keith McGill.

The only other guy I'd be excited about is EJ Gaines...yes, I am a homer to some degree, but it is only because I've watched him shut down some receivers that he wasn't expected to. He's a good player.

I'd be happy with those any of those guys, especially McGill, from the third round on.
I'd also consider taking a chance on a guy like Walt Aikens later in the draft.