If We Draft An Ot With Our First Pick...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
Figuring out where to play our new LT will be the least of our problems.

iced

I never said they had to use the first pick on OL, I wouldn't mind, but it's not totally necessary.
My problem is only drafting OL 4th round and later and expecting that to be good enough.

Jake Long back by week 1 is incredibly optimistic. Fisher and Snead can say whatever they want, but his injury is significant.

I really don't believe that Saffold will be back, we'll just have to see.

I'd also like to see Alex Mack on the Rams, it would be nice if that happened.

Medicine and Rehab is different.

All you have to do is look at Adrian Peterson for proof - and that's a player that does significantly more than Long would do....cut, plant, change direction, etc.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Medicine and Rehab is different.

All you have to do is look at Adrian Peterson for proof - and that's a player that does significantly more than Long would do....cut, plant, change direction, etc.

I was waiting for Adrian Peterson. He is the exception, not the rule. Everyone was shocked by how fast he got back on the field.
His recovery time was remarkable. You just can't expect those results for everyone with this injury.
Especially someone of Long's size. Being that big put's significantly more stress on his joints.

Quite frankly he may never be the same player again. I'd like for the Rams to be somewhat prepared for that possibility.

iced

I was waiting for Adrian Peterson. He is the exception, not the rule. Everyone was shocked by how fast he got back on the field.
His recovery time was remarkable. You just can't expect those results for everyone with this injury.
Especially someone of Long's size. Being that big put's significantly more stress on his joints.

Quite frankly he may never be the same player again. I'd like for the Rams to be somewhat prepared for that possibility.

you're still missing the point.. with the way medicine is today, with all the rehab and the sciences, coming back quicker is not as unrealistic.

Yea jake have more weight - but he's also not making cuts and moving on his knee like an RB or skill position would/is.

darelle revis is another example... again, corner position - relies on agility and cuts, but he still came back.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
you're still missing the point.. with the way medicine is today, with all the rehab and the sciences, coming back quicker is not as unrealistic.

Yea jake have more weight - but he's also not making cuts and moving on his knee like an RB or skill position would/is.

darelle revis is another example... again, corner position - relies on agility and cuts, but he still came back.

I will say this what Peterson did was not human like very very unusual to say the least. I know of no other player who has done what Peterson did.:bigup::juiced:

Now to Darelle Revis injury was just a ACL not the ACL/MCL plus Darelle was hurt back in September Long was hurt the last of December and Darelle was still hampered & not 100% when the season began. That's about normal so if we use Darelle's ACL & long'a ACL/MCL using the time period that Darelle took would put Jake Long back sometime in November of 2014

iced

I will say this what Peterson did was not human like very very unusual to say the least. I know of no other player who has done what Peterson did.:bigup::juiced:

Now to Darelle Revis injury was just a ACL not the ACL/MCL plus Darelle was hurt back in September Long was hurt the last of December and Darelle was still hampered & not 100% when the season began. That's about normal so if we use Darelle's ACL & long'a ACL/MCL using the time period that Darelle took would put Jake Long back sometime in November of 2014

no way...

my main point has been the huge difference in positions.. it's drastically different

what you ask a lineman to do is way different than a skill position. I'd share your concern if he wasn't a LT - but that's not the case.

Alan

Legend
I'm just hoping he'll be back at full strength by mid season.

Alan

Legend
If we try to bring him back too early and he reinjures it I'll really be pissed.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler

I totally get your point.

Because one person was able to recover significantly more quickly from an injury and return to full strength faster than anyone before we should expect that same result for everybody going forward.

Medicine + rehab = no problem.
Got it.

iced

Because one person was able to recover significantly more quickly from an injury and return to full strength faster than anyone before we should expect that same result for everybody going forward.

Got it.

you clearly didn't get the point, at all.. despite me saying it over and over and over again. i'm not going to continue repeating myself

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Got it.

It's not really one person. It's pretty commonplace now for athletes to come back from those sort of knee injuries and be ready the next year. More examples?
-RGIII
-Wes Welker
-Brian Cushing
-Carson Palmer
-Scott Chandler
-Brandon Meriweather
-Lardarius Webb
-Bradley Fletcher

That's just a few examples. I'd say it's likely Long will be back by week 1. If he's not, odds are that he'll be back in the first 3 weeks.

Alan

Legend
What do you guys mean by "come back"? Of those examples I know that Fletcher and RGIII started playing in a year but they didn't "come back" for two years. Getting on the field and playing like your old self is too different things. It would probably be a good idea to make sure everyone is talking about the same thing.

For me, "coming back" means playing like you did before your injury. But that's probably not the same for many of you.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Thing is nobody knows how long it will take for Jake to be back at his new 100%. I'd venture it has a lot to do with the severity of the tears and his motivation. Thing is why not be prepared? My main target would be Zack Martin. He can play OT or OG and could start at either. I would definitely draft two OL, Martin and an OG. I'd do it no later than the 2nd round.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
you clearly didn't get the point, at all.. despite me saying it over and over and over again. i'm not going to continue repeating myself

I do get what you're saying, I just don't agree with you.

I believe that you're saying that because Jake Long doesn't have to move like a running back, receiver, defensive back, etc... that he'll be available week one, no problem, thanks to surgery and rehab. Did I get that right?

So tell me this. Other than Peterson, what player has come back and played at as high a level as they did before surgery like this? Do you think Revis is as dominant as he was before?. Robert Griffin came back too early and it showed. Is that the kind of play you want from the Rams LT?

I'll say it one last time too. Adrian Peterson is the exception, not the rule.
A radioactive spider bite isn't going to turn everyone into Spider-Man.

Expecting everybody (no matter what they have to do after a procedure) to respond the same isn't realistic.
We obviously aren't going to see eye to eye on this, so please feel free not to respond.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
What do you guys mean by "come back"? Of those examples I know that Fletcher and RGIII started playing in a year but they didn't "come back" for two years. Getting on the field and playing like your old self is too different things. It would probably be a good idea to make sure everyone is talking about the same thing.

For me, "coming back" means playing like you did before your injury. But that's probably not the same for many of you.

I'd define "coming back" the same way.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Thing is nobody knows how long it will take for Jake to be back at his new 100%. I'd venture it has a lot to do with the severity of the tears and his motivation. Thing is why not be prepared? My main target would be Zack Martin. He can play OT or OG and could start at either. I would definitely draft two OL, Martin and an OG. I'd do it no later than the 2nd round.

That seems like such a sensible plan.
If we could get a guard in round two or three (Gabe Jackson would be awesome), I think the Rams would be in great shape.

jjab360

Legend

I'd define coming back from an injury as the moment the player steps out onto the field again. That's the only definition that makes sense to me.

Playing like you used to is another thing entirely.