If we draft a WR early, it should be...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
You can't win a Super Bowl with 3 white recievers

image.jpeg

Just kidding of course
Haven't been following this kid, but man, he is productive and we haven't had a go to WR since Danny Amendola. I miss that guy

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The "Why not Zay Jones" thread inspired me to create a why not post of sorts for the other three WRs bandied about for our pick. As this thread makes clear, my preference is Kupp. So...why not Chris Godwin? Why not Juju Smith? Why not Zay Jones? I want to state at the outset that I am high on all three WRs and would be happy with each, but I thought I'd explain why I prefer Kupp to each.

Why not Chris Godwin?
There are three reasons why I prefer Kupp to Chris Godwin:
1. Godwin's route running
Godwin is a weird sort because when I criticize route running, I'm usually criticizing technical aspects of it. Instead, my complaints with Godwin's route running are that his route speed is inconsistent, he lacks urgency in his vertical stems, and he runs lackadaisical routes when he's not a primary target. Godwin's breaks are crisp. His technical skill is sound (beyond the issues I highlighted). He has the potential to be a really good route runner. The problem is that he too often appears to be a gear or two too slow on his vertical stems. It looks almost like he's jogging.
2. Godwin's explosiveness
Godwin doesn't seem to have that explosive burst off the LOS to get him easy wins vertically. He appears to be more of a build-up speed type guy. He can separate as a route runner because of his crisp cuts, but he too often stays covered on deep routes because he just doesn't explode off the LOS. His ability to win in the air does him big favors here, but his lack of explosive burst will cause him problems in the NFL if he can't win in the air like he did in college.
3. Godwin vs. Stribling
This is sort of ancillary point from Point #2. This game stuck in my mind because Stribling is a big CB who will play on Sundays (likely 5th round pick). Godwin went 0 for 3 in contested catch situations against him. How will Godwin fare against big NFL CBs? He'll probably do just fine, but it's a minor concern.

Why not Juju Smith?
This one is a lot quicker. There's one reason why:
1. Juju's hands
Juju's hands aren't bad, but they're fairly average. He's not a dominant player in the air or at the catch point. If he had hands like Godwin or Kupp, I'd be pounding the table to get him at #37. He's a twitchier guy than you expect a rocked up 6'1" 215 pound WR to be. He's very strong and physical. He uses that size and strength to create separation. However, his lack of elite physical attributes means that he'll likely be making a good chunk of his catches in traffic or contested catch situations. As a player who isn't anything special in those situations, I'm just not sure he'll be a dominant WR on Sundays. I think he's more of a good #2 guy.

Why not Zay Jones?
Again, this one is quicker because there's only one reason why:
1. Cooper Kupp is better than him at his own game
Despite Zay's measurables, he doesn't really have that extra gear to separate vertically. You see his speed in his acceleration off the line and out of his cuts. He's a quick guy and a polished route runner. I used him as an example of a guy like Robert Woods who makes all of his routes look the same because his posture and route speed are consistent. He sells his vertical stems with authority. He usually makes crisp cuts. He's a natural hands catcher who made a living catching the ball in traffic. Basically, like Kupp, he's a guy who is going to mainly work the short to intermediate ranges with his route running and soft hands. Problem is that Kupp is a better route runner because he's a more creative route runner. Zay is a very precise route runner, but he hasn't developed the nuances of his game to the same extent that Kupp has. Both guys have stellar hands. I'd give Kupp the slight edge because Zay has more concentration drops.

Again, I will make clear that I like all three guys. I want all three guys. These are just the reasons why I prefer Cooper Kupp to the other three.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cooper Kupp posted the best Wonderlic score among WRs with a 37.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Where do you see Kupp going? Obviously you believe he'll be there at #37. Will he last to #69? What I'm asking is, if he's on the board at #37 and we pick him it's a moot point. But if we pick somebody else, is there a decent chance he'll be there at #69?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where do you see Kupp going? Obviously you believe he'll be there at #37. Will he last to #69? What I'm asking is, if he's on the board at #37 and we pick him it's a moot point. But if we pick somebody else, is there a decent chance he'll be there at #69?

Based on what I'm seeing, he'll likely go somewhere in the #50 to #75 range. So it's possible he'll be there at #69. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. But that's just me.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
When he does, I won't bring this post up. But if you remember, you can send me a PM.

We all remember about how much you liked Jared Goff. As I just read about A post of Rams hidden Gold. Hopefully Jared is all Gold next season , with a bunch of nuggets from 2016 draft & beyond. ---Kupp is a guy you pounded the table hard for . Your a well respected poster , & talk prospects all the time.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I'm really starting to think CB , Seattle will more than likely take a DB. There will be a early 2nd rd rd .

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The "Why not Zay Jones" thread inspired me to create a why not post of sorts for the other three WRs bandied about for our pick. As this thread makes clear, my preference is Kupp. So...why not Chris Godwin? Why not Juju Smith? Why not Zay Jones? I want to state at the outset that I am high on all three WRs and would be happy with each, but I thought I'd explain why I prefer Kupp to each.

Why not Chris Godwin?
There are three reasons why I prefer Kupp to Chris Godwin:
1. Godwin's route running
Godwin is a weird sort because when I criticize route running, I'm usually criticizing technical aspects of it. Instead, my complaints with Godwin's route running are that his route speed is inconsistent, he lacks urgency in his vertical stems, and he runs lackadaisical routes when he's not a primary target. Godwin's breaks are crisp. His technical skill is sound (beyond the issues I highlighted). He has the potential to be a really good route runner. The problem is that he too often appears to be a gear or two too slow on his vertical stems. It looks almost like he's jogging.
2. Godwin's explosiveness
Godwin doesn't seem to have that explosive burst off the LOS to get him easy wins vertically. He appears to be more of a build-up speed type guy. He can separate as a route runner because of his crisp cuts, but he too often stays covered on deep routes because he just doesn't explode off the LOS. His ability to win in the air does him big favors here, but his lack of explosive burst will cause him problems in the NFL if he can't win in the air like he did in college.
3. Godwin vs. Stribling
This is sort of ancillary point from Point #2. This game stuck in my mind because Stribling is a big CB who will play on Sundays (likely 5th round pick). Godwin went 0 for 3 in contested catch situations against him. How will Godwin fare against big NFL CBs? He'll probably do just fine, but it's a minor concern.

Why not Juju Smith?
This one is a lot quicker. There's one reason why:
1. Juju's hands
Juju's hands aren't bad, but they're fairly average. He's not a dominant player in the air or at the catch point. If he had hands like Godwin or Kupp, I'd be pounding the table to get him at #37. He's a twitchier guy than you expect a rocked up 6'1" 215 pound WR to be. He's very strong and physical. He uses that size and strength to create separation. However, his lack of elite physical attributes means that he'll likely be making a good chunk of his catches in traffic or contested catch situations. As a player who isn't anything special in those situations, I'm just not sure he'll be a dominant WR on Sundays. I think he's more of a good #2 guy.

Why not Zay Jones?
Again, this one is quicker because there's only one reason why:
1. Cooper Kupp is better than him at his own game
Despite Zay's measurables, he doesn't really have that extra gear to separate vertically. You see his speed in his acceleration off the line and out of his cuts. He's a quick guy and a polished route runner. I used him as an example of a guy like Robert Woods who makes all of his routes look the same because his posture and route speed are consistent. He sells his vertical stems with authority. He usually makes crisp cuts. He's a natural hands catcher who made a living catching the ball in traffic. Basically, like Kupp, he's a guy who is going to mainly work the short to intermediate ranges with his route running and soft hands. Problem is that Kupp is a better route runner because he's a more creative route runner. Zay is a very precise route runner, but he hasn't developed the nuances of his game to the same extent that Kupp has. Both guys have stellar hands. I'd give Kupp the slight edge because Zay has more concentration drops.

Again, I will make clear that I like all three guys. I want all three guys. These are just the reasons why I prefer Cooper Kupp to the other three.

If Kupp is your first choice, how would you slot these 3 after him?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Yeah....good call man...gotta give props....

didn't know he scored a 37 on the wonderlic

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Must be happy ?

The Rams did good drafting Kupp. He should play ahead of a Spruce ..

I'm pumped. Kupp was my #1 WR on Day 2. Reynolds was my #1 WR on Day 3. The Rams got both.