If we build it, he will come: why we don't have an OC yet?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
Starting with Gase, he rejoined a head coach who he knows, has worked with and achieved success with, so it was a no brainer. Not a reflection on Fish or the Rams in any manner.

Kyle Shanahan took a more stable situation. New regime will be coming in, he has a nice collection of talent and the QB in place to work with. I don't see that as a reflection on the Rams or Fish.

Olson thankfully wasn't on the Rams radar. I consider that to be a good thing. Jags can have him.

DeFillipo wasn't on the Rams radar. I suppose he did a good job with the Raiders young QB, but I haven't seen any kind of demonstrated excellence from that offensive squad that would make me think they just nailed the hire. He wasn't on the Rams radar.

Gailey wasn't on the Rams radar. I think he's a solid OC, but it's a wash and hope he does well with the Jets.

Trestman wasn't on the Rams radar. One can argue that he should have been, but I can understand why he at least wasn't on Fish's short list. Either way I have to admit that if I am an OC there's little question on whether I'd join the Rams or Ravens. Ravens are an elite destination, plain and simple. Rams aren't there yet.

Musgrave wasn't on the Rams radar. I consider that to be a good thing.

Hackett they have interviewed, however I doubt he's the top tier choice so we won't know what's up with him until at least next week when Chud is off the list.

So as it stands right now from where I am sitting at least the Rams are 0-2 in their OC hiring attempts. If Chud denies them, or chooses SF, they'll be 0-3 and that will be the second candidate that chose another team over the Rams for other than strong familiarity (Gase & Fox).

That's a direct reflection on Fish and Snead. It's their job to acquire the talent and QB. They've done a good job on defense but not on offense.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I thought Schotty going to GA was more about him not moving to LA than going for a downgrade! Just a thought! Didn't think it was going to be an issue getting his replacement, though!

Ramathon

Ok it's frustrating - it seems that other teams get the guy that they want, and we seem to be floundering (or at best treading water) I think the "If we build it, he will come.." attitude has to go out of the window now. There's only so many times you can play it cool as Fisher and Snead seem to do.

So I asked myself, why haven't we got our guy yet? Surely the longer we're without an OC the more agitated the team will get? So I've tried to play devils advocate and put some ideas together. As the only Rams fan in the village, I'd love to hear your thoughts guys.

I'm not sold on the idea 'we can't get our guy'. I think it's entirely possible they think they have a good candidate in house and are just doing their due diligence to see if there's any of the 'names' out there that, if brought in for an interview, would just blown them away. To my knowledge, the only one they've seemed to have more than a passing interest in was Gase. At least he's the only one I've heard that they made more than a first call to, but I could easily have missed others.

I'm also not sold on the idea they have to get a 'name' like Gase, Shanahan, etc. Every one of those guys was an unknown quantity at some point to whom someone gave an opportunity. Maybe the next one of that type is already on staff.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think you are all over it Shaunpinney! The job just might not be too attractive to top prospects at the moment. I think you might see the eventual hire a bit of a shock to most.