If we build it, he will come: why we don't have an OC yet?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Ok - before anyone get's angst and has the hump, the following is just what's going on in my head, an IMO piece, I have no facts, no more than the next guy, I'm just trying to see through the clouds...

Ok it's frustrating - it seems that other teams get the guy that they want, and we seem to be floundering (or at best treading water) I think the "If we build it, he will come.." attitude has to go out of the window now. There's only so many times you can play it cool as Fisher and Snead seem to do.

So I asked myself, why haven't we got our guy yet? Surely the longer we're without an OC the more agitated the team will get? So I've tried to play devils advocate and put some ideas together. As the only Rams fan in the village, I'd love to hear your thoughts guys.

1. Fisher.
Love him or hate him, Fisher has his own way of doing things, wasn't he one of the reasons we found it difficult to pick up a DC, he had a way he wanted things done, and DCs/OCs shouldn't deviate from that. Also, I've read in transcripts that he was the one that put a stop to Schotty & Sam running a no-huddle offence in games, even though IMO, Sam seemed to love that. (I'll try and find the interview transcript and post a link)

2. How long would they be here for?
Also, if Fisher doesn't turn this team around next season, then I think he's gone, we can talk until we're blue in the face about injuries etc, but thats just a part of the game, we're not unique in that element of the game. Surely, a new HC would want to select his own caching staff. **

2. St Louis or LA?
Where are the Rams going to play football? Would this uncertainty put people off from settling down in a place?

3. Our QBs.
Lets be honest, neither is going to excite a potential OC, Sam may not start next season, and I really don't think he should be rushed, sure a healthy Bradford would be awesome, but his season-long resilience must be in question. Hill is a backup, plain and simple, dependable for the odd game, but isn't going to light up anything, Davis, showed some potential, but we need more than 'potential'.

4. The general offensive personnel.
Apart from our QB situation, our o-line was poor this year, I do think we have decent wideouts though, and I think Britt could be a true #1 and with Quick, Bailey and Austin at his disposal, as well as Cook and Kendricks an OC surely must like the sound of them??

5. Kroenke & Money.
I don't think this is an issue, but I'm just putting it out there. Are we offering enough cash?

6. NFC defenses?
Do OC's quiver at the thought of playing Seattle, Arizona and the 49ers twice a season? We're know as the toughest division for a reason, the defence in our division rocks...

7. Smoke & Mirrors.
The reason we haven't hired anyone yet is because the person Fisher wants isn't available yet?? Or their ironing out contracts etc, and they're just making everyone wait...

** The King is Dead, long live the King... this role is potentially a springboard position, if, lets say, Fisher has a year left to prove it, could not an OC prime themselves to be the next Rams HC? If i was Kroenke I'd be using that as serious bait...

Let me know what you think?

fearsomefour

Legend
I think the QB situation has a lot to do with it.
Fisher took this job over Miami based on Bradford. The Rams have nothing settled at the QB position right now. There are holes in the offense. So, anyone taking over the OC spot has to know it will be a job to get the O "turned around". O line, QB etc need to be addressed.
The Bears on paper vs the Rams on paper? For an OC that is a no brainer.
There are 32 of these jobs in the world. The Rams can find a qualified guy who can do a good job even if it isn't a big name.
There are some challenges in taking the job however.
I don't think the specter of moving would matter much. What is the average tenure in the NFL? 3 or 4 years? Most of these guys are used to moving every couple of years anyway.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I mentioned in another thread reasons why OCs might not want to come here... and my 4 reasons were your reasons 1, 2, 2 and 3. ;)

GMTA, and good expansion.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
oops sorry @Boffo97 I'm rem "working" today and I've not had chance to read other threads yet...

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
oops sorry @Boffo97 I'm rem "working" today and I've not had chance to read other threads yet...
No worries. It wasn't an OP and it's kind of buried by now.

It's just always good having confirmation that I'm not talking nonsense again. ;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Starting with Gase, he rejoined a head coach who he knows, has worked with and achieved success with, so it was a no brainer. Not a reflection on Fish or the Rams in any manner.

Kyle Shanahan took a more stable situation. New regime will be coming in, he has a nice collection of talent and the QB in place to work with. I don't see that as a reflection on the Rams or Fish.

Olson thankfully wasn't on the Rams radar. I consider that to be a good thing. Jags can have him.

DeFillipo wasn't on the Rams radar. I suppose he did a good job with the Raiders young QB, but I haven't seen any kind of demonstrated excellence from that offensive squad that would make me think they just nailed the hire. He wasn't on the Rams radar.

Gailey wasn't on the Rams radar. I think he's a solid OC, but it's a wash and hope he does well with the Jets.

Trestman wasn't on the Rams radar. One can argue that he should have been, but I can understand why he at least wasn't on Fish's short list. Either way I have to admit that if I am an OC there's little question on whether I'd join the Rams or Ravens. Ravens are an elite destination, plain and simple. Rams aren't there yet.

Musgrave wasn't on the Rams radar. I consider that to be a good thing.

Hackett they have interviewed, however I doubt he's the top tier choice so we won't know what's up with him until at least next week when Chud is off the list.

So as it stands right now from where I am sitting at least the Rams are 0-2 in their OC hiring attempts. If Chud denies them, or chooses SF, they'll be 0-3 and that will be the second candidate that chose another team over the Rams for other than strong familiarity (Gase & Fox).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We dont have an OC yet because the guy the Rams wanted was either Chud or Van Pelt and neither team will let them go.
Its that simple

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
The solution is simple, if you can't beat 'em join 'em

HIRE BELICHEAT

(Steve Belicheat that is)

image.jpg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
1 Fisher is known to be an easy going guy so I doubt 1 is it. It is most likely the QB situation.

2 and 2? The Rams are finally to the point where their plan is coming to fruition. Snead revealed that they wanted to imitate teams that won it all with Great defense. He said that being great on one side of the ball is the formula for success and they just seemed to have that part in place with the defense playing well in the second half. So, you think that Kroenke who deliberately sought a coach that could implement a longterm plan is suddenly going all Daniel Snyder and dumping Fisher? I don't think that happens, at all.

Location? Moving? I don't think any OC cares if the team moves in a year or two. All they want is to be successful. The Rams have the D to win with. The OC just has to make the O respectable and with a few OLine moves it will be.

3 the QB situation is probably the main reason someone would be reluctant to take the job

But who exactly did the Rams contact that turned them down? Kyle Shanahan maybe but it seemed to be well known that he was going to go where Dan Quinn was headed because of past relationships. Who else said no or avoided an interview? Chud is still in play, Hackett, Van Pelt, Gase and Shanahan are the only other guys I recall the Rams mentioning. Two of those guys were contacted as soon as they were available to be. So at this point two coaches have gone elsewhere for other reasons that made sense.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I were the an OC, I would jump at the job immediately.

C'mon, coaching an offense for a team with a great defense will only make your offense better and imagine how many times you will get the ball back and the room for error will be larger considering you have a great D.

Look at Seattle, how many mistakes did they make and still got to the Superbowl despite the multitude of errors on offense.

Finally, all the weapons the Rams have.. C'mon!! Hire me...heheh

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
lol - ok, so my numbering was a bit dodgy - at least it proves that you guys actually read the crazy ramblings of an across the pond fan!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
No worries. It wasn't an OP and it's kind of buried by now.

It's just always good having confirmation that I'm not talking nonsense again. ;)
Just because there is another poster like you mean it's not nonsense.

1.Fisher is the HC/GM & your right that control. Fisher is solid though & is great about change if it's a good fit.--Fisher is not going anywhere,he has way to big of a footprint w/THE RAMS !!

2.Certain coaches yes,but it's about relationships.-- I think 2 years ago when The Rams played Da' Bears he really admired Chud's offense when Cutler was hurt !!

3.Yeah right!! If your an O/C in the LA market,your on a pretty big stage.Staying in St.Louis has it's pluses. If your an NFL coach and you don't understand (Not For Long) the league the your not going to be around long anyway.--My believe is Shotty is more of a family man,& loves building relationships.He is looking to settle.
Good news is no matter what ,Fisher is going to find a coach who has upside & brings change.

3.The O/C job w/ the players in place is very encouraging . Singing Kenny Britt is a must.They really should have tried sign him to a longer deal.If you don't believe in Greg Robinson then,maybe your right.
--Ascending players are stocked all over the place.The future is bright as long as Snead keeps adding solid pieces.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not sure the Rams want to commit to anyone until they can interview a couple of candidates whose contracts are soon to expire and whose teams have refused us to contact them. I get the feeling Indy is trying to work out something to retain Chud but haven't heard of any done deals yet. I think we will see something happen shortly after the SB.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'll take the approach of putting on the shoes of an OC candidate, and for each team who's shown interest in me I'd be looking initially, and asking at the front of the interview process....."So who's my QB?"

I think this is the biggest issue, which is why i posted this a few days ago:

Cleveland-Manziel
Chicago-Cutler
St Louis-Bradford
San Francisco-Kaepernick
NYJ-Geno Smith

Where would you go to work as an OC?

I actually think our offensive personnel overall is enticing. It's stocked with young, talented skill position guys at RB, WR and TE. There are a couple pieces on the OLine but mostly it's a blank canvas. At QB there's just too much instability.

I would pay a high price to listen in on an OC interview with Fisher. If we did we'd have a damned good idea exactly what Fisher has planned for this team at QB in 2015 because i'm willing to bet every ROD dollar i have that THAT would be the emphasis of conversation...and ultimately what will turn off any candidates.