If Time Travel Was A Reality What Would Be Your First Choice - Back or Forward?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I'd go back to the ice age. I would love to kill and eat a wooly mammoth. I'd also like to wear furs live in a cave, brew beers, grow a beard, and let my hair grow out. The ice age is pretty much the most bad ass era. That and when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

It would be cool to see the dinosaurs. I my biggest fear would be being getting shat on by a Trex. I think it would be difficult for it to kill something as small as a person.

I just realized I picked places where hygiene doesn't matter.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Kurt Godel showed that if the Theory of Relativity is true, then Time cannot exist. Which means that time is actually space, a destination, that we can travel to, either forwards or backwards. His good friend, Albert Einstein, agreed with Godel.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Backwards.

Invent the disposable lighter
checkmark.png

Apple stock
checkmark.png

Microsoft stock
checkmark.png

Retire at 25 years of age.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Kurt Godel showed that if the Theory of Relativity is true, then Time cannot exist. Which means that time is actually space, a destination, that we can travel to, either forwards or backwards. His good friend, Albert Einstein, agreed with Godel.

We know how to speed up time, essentially traveling forward in time (if we were to travel roughly 99% the speed of light for a week (to the person(s) going that speed) roughly 100 years or so would pass for the rest of us. You can also travel around the event horizon for a black hole (which isn't actually all that big) and time slows down roughly half speed from the gravitational pull of the singularity, but that's not really worth it.

We could get ships to travel 99% the speed of light for a few months and "jump" thousands of years into the future. However the issue is how do you travel that fast without running into anything? Space is mostly empty, but it doesn't take much to destroy a ship going that speed. Plus given the vast distances between objects, it could take many years to travel to a planet we see as inhabitable from Earth, only to arrive to see it destroyed, or a population that has killed itself.

Time travel is a tricky thing. The science fiction version of it may not exist in our universe. However if dark matter does indeed exist in the 4th dimension, or higher, than we could potentially unlock those secrets and travel all through the universe, forward and backward in time. Many physicists believe there must be additional dimensions that we can't see due to how weak gravity is compared to the other three fundamental forces (weak nuclear, strong nuclear, electromagnetic), which would also explain how dark matter can seemingly give our universe the shape and pattern it has, with vast emptiness between clusters of galaxies.

As to Godel, he was a great mind, but not a physicists, thus there's a few issues with his metric that he didn't account for. One being that he doesn't take account of the hubble constant (meaning his model didn't expand, which our universe is still expanding, and is in fact speeding up), and uses a rotating closed universe model (I believe anyway, it's been a while since I read up on him) which isn't a correct observation, so I don't think his ideas are correct, however they were still quite interesting, and he was a very brilliant man. It's no wonder why Einstein liked him so much.

If anyone has spare time, he's a pretty cool guy to read up on. Very good mathematician, and logician. One of the best in history probably.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
We know how to speed up time, essentially traveling forward in time (if we were to travel roughly 99% the speed of light for a week (to the person(s) going that speed) roughly 100 years or so would pass for the rest of us. You can also travel around the event horizon for a black hole (which isn't actually all that big) and time slows down roughly half speed from the gravitational pull of the singularity, but that's not really worth it.

We could get ships to travel 99% the speed of light for a few months and "jump" thousands of years into the future. However the issue is how do you travel that fast without running into anything? Space is mostly empty, but it doesn't take much to destroy a ship going that speed. Plus given the vast distances between objects, it could take many years to travel to a planet we see as inhabitable from Earth, only to arrive to see it destroyed, or a population that has killed itself.

Time travel is a tricky thing. The science fiction version of it may not exist in our universe. However if dark matter does indeed exist in the 4th dimension, or higher, than we could potentially unlock those secrets and travel all through the universe, forward and backward in time. Many physicists believe there must be additional dimensions that we can't see due to how weak gravity is compared to the other three fundamental forces (weak nuclear, strong nuclear, electromagnetic), which would also explain how dark matter can seemingly give our universe the shape and pattern it has, with vast emptiness between clusters of galaxies.

As to Godel, he was a great mind, but not a physicists, thus there's a few issues with his metric that he didn't account for. One being that he doesn't take account of the hubble constant (meaning his model didn't expand, which our universe is still expanding, and is in fact speeding up), and uses a rotating closed universe model (I believe anyway, it's been a while since I read up on him) which isn't a correct observation, so I don't think his ideas are correct, however they were still quite interesting, and he was a very brilliant man. It's no wonder why Einstein liked him so much.

If anyone has spare time, he's a pretty cool guy to read up on. Very good mathematician, and logician. One of the best in history probably.
Godel pretty much destroyed math as we know it while in his 20's. The community still prefers to ignore his proof of incompleteness, which has never been disproved.

WRT TT, I think Godel's primary point to his friend, Einstein, was that if Relatively were indeed proved, then time could not exist. I don't beleive that contention has been refuted.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Ehhh, that can get iffy. Einstein's theory of relatively has been tested so many times and has continued to stand to these tests as correct, so its a pretty safe bet that he was correct. The Gödel model would still be incorrect because of the false parameters involved. Doesn't make it any less of an interesting point though, and he could be correct that time is a place we can go to, but there's not any scientific evidence to support it at this time. It would appear that space and time are intertwined, with time indeed existing.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Ehhh, that can get iffy. Einstein's theory of relatively has been tested so many times and has continued to stand to these tests as correct, so its a pretty safe bet that he was correct. The Gödel model would still be incorrect because of the false parameters involved. Doesn't make it any less of an interesting point though, and he could be correct that time is a place we can go to, but there's not any scientific evidence to support it at this time. It would appear that space and time are intertwined, with time indeed existing.
Such good stuff....
http://discovermagazine.com/2002/mar/featgodel

In 1948 Gödel turned his attention to Einstein's supreme creation, the general theory of relativity, and succeeded in coaxing a new and flamboyant universe from the alembic of its symbols. He did so by providing an exact solution to the heart of the theory—a field equation that allows one to calculate the force of a gravitational field—and his analysis reflects the distinctive characteristics of all his work. It is original and logically coherent, the argument set out simply but with complete and convincing authority. A sense of superb taste prevails throughout. There is no show.
And it is odd. It is distinctly odd.

The leading idea of general relativity—the fusion of space and time—is not hard to grasp. After all, space and time are fused in ordinary life as well. We locate an event (the assassination of JFK, for example) both in terms of where it took place (Dallas, Texas) and when it took place (roughly 1:30 EST on the afternoon of November 22, 1963). Three numbers suffice to mark the space of Dallas, Texas, on a three-dimensional map: longitude, latitude, and altitude. The place is pinpointed as an event in space-time if another number, the time, is added. And if an event can be defined by four numbers, then a series of events can be defined by a series of such numbers, trailing one another like elephants marching trunk to tail. In general relativity such series are called world lines.

General relativity then forges a far-flung connection between the geometry of space and time and the behavior of objects in motion within space and time. Imagine a marble placed on a mattress. Given a tap, the marble will move in a straight line. But place a bowling ball on the mattress, too, and the marble, given precisely the same tap, will roll down the sagging surface, its path changing from a straight to a curved line. The bowling ball's weight deforms the medium of the mattress, and the deformed medium influences the marble's movement.

Replace the bowling ball and marble with planets, stars, or wheeling galaxies, and the mattress with space-time itself, and a homely metaphor is transformed into the leading principle of a great physical theory. In a universe with no massive objects, there is no deformation of space and time, and the shortest route between two points is a straight line. When matter makes its fateful appearance, the shortest routes will curve. The first and most celebrated confirmation of this theory came in 1919, when astronomers established that the mass of the sun causes a beam of light to curve, as Einstein had predicted.

"For us believing physicists," Einstein once wrote, "the distinction between the past, the present, and the future is only an illusion." It was a melancholy remark, made as Einstein faced death, but it flowed directly from Einstein's special theory of relativity. Imagine a group of observers scattered carelessly throughout the cosmos. Each is able to organize the events of his life into a linear order—a world line of the kind just described. Each is convinced that his life consists of a series of nows, moving moments passing from the past to the present to the future. Special relativity urges a contrary claim. The observers scattered throughout space and time are all convinced their sense of now is universal. Now is, after all, now, is it not? Apparently not. Time passes at a different rate depending on how fast a person is moving: While one hour passes on Earth, only a few seconds might pass on a rocket ship hurtling away from Earth at nearly the speed of light. It is entirely possible that one man's now might be another man's past or future.

Gödel's solution to the field equation vindicated the deepest insight of Einstein's theory, namely that time is relative. But Einstein's theory of relativity suggests only that time does not exist in the conventional sense, not that time exists in no sense whatsoever. Einstein's claim is more subtle. He suggests that change is an illusion. Things do not become, they have not been, and they will not be: They simply are. Time is like space; it is precisely like space. In traveling to Singapore, I do not bring Singapore into existence. I reach Singapore, but the city has been there all along. So, too, I reach events in the future by displacing myself in time. I do not bring them into being. And if nothing is brought into being, there is no change.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Probably just far back enough to where I could win the lotto. It's a scary thought going too far forward or back really. The thing would be remembering a time I could get the numbers to my past self alone, and when I would be inebriated enough to not have a stroke. I guess I could just plan a time after I had already discovered time travel, then I would be prepared. Lol I was going to ask for some ground rules, but I guess there really is none considering the topic. There;s pretty much an argument that goes against everything.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Forward to steal the most advanced weapons and life-extending technology, followed by back to take over history and preemptively destroy time-travel so nobody can challenge my dominance.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Forward to steal the most advanced weapons and life-extending technology, followed by back to take over history and preemptively destroy time-travel so nobody can challenge my dominance.
That's a total Richard move of you.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
So sayeth the person who didn't think of it first. I may destroy all of history and the future, create a paradox, but freak it, I win. Muahahaha.

tumblr_lr9nn1apO81qknbv6.gif
Up until now, I just thought living to 100 is winning. New goal in life, beat DCH to inventing time travel.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Up until now, I just thought living to 100 is winning. New goal in life, beat DCH to inventing time travel.
You and everyone else had better hope you do :cool:
As much as I love the Doctor, I think I would make a better Master.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I know when and where I would travel to. 1003 South Orange Grove Avenue, Pasadena, CA during the 1940's. That's Jack Parson's home. He was an eccentric that invented rocket fuel. He would have extravagant parties that would include partner swapping and fencing. He would walk around his mansion in a 3 piece suit fencing while reciting Crowley poems. The dude was smart, a little bit of crazy, and a into the dark magics. There is even a crater named after him on the moon, the dark side.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I know when and where I would travel to. 1003 South Orange Grove Avenue, Pasadena, CA during the 1940's. That's Jack Parson's home. He was an eccentric that invented rocket fuel. He would have extravagant parties that would include partner swapping and fencing. He would walk around his mansion in a 3 piece suit fencing while reciting Crowley poems. The dude was smart, a little bit of crazy, and a into the dark magics. There is even a crater named after him on the moon, the dark side.
which Cowley? Alistair?

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
He'd recite Alistair Crowley's "Hymn to Pan." I'm not too familiar with Crowley but some of the things that he believed were fascinating. Not my choice of beliefs but fascinating.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
He'd recite Alistair Crowley's "Hymn to Pan." I'm not too familiar with Crowley but some of the things that he believed were fascinating. Not my choice of beliefs but fascinating.
i honestly don't think u would want to be near anyone who parroted Crowley.