If This Is Andrew Whitworth’s Last Ride, Where Will He Rank Among Franchise Linemen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

If This Is Andrew Whitworth’s Last Ride, Where Will He Rank Among Franchise Linemen​

Only three of the 256 players selected in the 2006 draft are currently on NFL rosters; tight end Marcedes Lewis, Punter Sam Koch, and Andrew Whitworth. What is made abundantly clear by this is that these guys have figured out how to keep themselves on the field. But as we all know, father time is ultimately undefeated and Andrew Whitworth is aware of this. He recently told Chris Long of the Green Light podcast that the 2021 season feels “…like this will probably be the end.”

If he does indeed end up retiring, it certainly will be the end of an era. 224 games played, and over 1,500 snaps. He was with Sean McVay at the beginning and he has been the linchpin and the best member of the Rams offensive line ever since 2017.

It is difficult to really quantify the legacy of an offensive lineman. For one, they work as a cohesive unit. The offensive line is only as strong as the weakest link and the success of the line relies heavily on the performance of the so-called skill players on offense. Even the individual stats applied to linemen lack context. How many of Whitworths 11 sacks allowed as a Ram are coverage sacks, versus getting blown out by a defensive end, for instance.

It should be pointed out that Whitworth has only allowed 1 sack in his last two seasons.

Whatsmore, when a lineman is playing his best only the keenest football view, appreciates it.

One keen pigskin observer, Pro Football Focus, wrote “Whitworth has been among the best tackles PFF has seen,” continuing, “His 84.7 pass-block grade was the seventh-best at the position, making it 11 straight years in which he has produced a top 10 pass-block grade (every year since he moved to full-time tackle with the Bengals in 2009).”

So to sum up Whitworth’s legacy; He’s very good and he has been good for a long time. But where does he rank among the best linemen in the Rams franchise.

There are a few names that are untouchable in the pantheon of Rams franchise linemen; Orlando Pace, Jackie Slater, and Tom Mack. It’s hard to argue with a man in a gold jacket, and despite how good Whitworth has been, he won’t crack the holy trinity of the trenches.

But before we just move on from the best of the best, a few words about the only three Rams HOF’er linemen.

Tom Mack was the second overall pick in the 1966 draft. In his 13 seasons with the Rams, he never missed a game. He was also selected to the Pro Bowl 11 times and was named to the first-team All-Pro in 1969. At 6’3” 250 lbs, Mack wasn’t the biggest guy on the field, but he felt his biggest advantage was his speed. The Rams won their division eight times during his tenure.

Jackie Slater had a long career, 20 years to be exact. The big difference between him and Whitworth being Slater started in 1976. This was when the most advanced recovery methods were rubbing dirt on it and a six-pack of beer. The Rams went to the playoffs 12 times in his career, including one trip to the Super Bowl. Slater blocked for seven different 1,000-yard rushers, including Lawrence McCutcheon, Wendell Tyler, Eric Dickerson, Charles White, Greg Bell, Cleveland Gary, and Jerome Bettis, as well as 27 games that his QB threw for over 300 yards. Slater went to the Pro-Bowl seven times in his career.

Orlando Pace was highly touted coming out of Ohio State in 1997 and for good reason. He was a beast, coming into the league at 6’7” 320 LBS. He wasn’t just big. He was fast too. The combination of the two earned him the first overall selection in the draft, but he reshaped the expectation for tackles going forward. Pace was the beginning of the end of lumbering big men. He made an immediate impact on the team which culminated in the Greatest Show on Turf and the Rams only Super Bowl victory. He blocked for the NFL MVP three years running, twice for Kurt Warner and also for Marshall Faulk. Pace was named All-Pro in 1999, 2001, and 2003. He was also selected to seven consecutive Pro Bowls.

Andrew Whitworth has a case for making the Hall of Fame and that would vault him into the conversation with the first tier, but for now, his story is ongoing. As of right now, he is solidly among the second tier of great Rams franchise linemen. This tier consists of Dennis Harrah, Rich Saul, Doug Smith , and Charlie Cowan.

Here is a quick rundown of the accolades of this tier:

Years as StarterAP All-Pro Selections# of Pro BowlsGames Missed
Charlie Cowan‘63-’74034
Rich Saul‘75-’81060
Dennis Harrah‘76-’871626
Doug Smith‘81-’91069
Andrew Whitworth‘07-’212416

At a glance, Whitworth pulls ahead of the pack, especially with the two first-team AP All-Pro selections. His longevity and relative health over time stands out, as well. But each of these guys brings something different to the table that makes him great. Rich Saul played all positions on the line including tight end. Missing zero games over seven seasons is also very impressive.

Dennis Harrah won a starting spot in just his second season and was named team captain for six seasons and he earned his spot on the first-team All-Pro in what would be his last full season in the league.

Charlie Cowan was one of the better leaders of his era. He took both Tom Mack, Rich Saul, and John Williams under his wing. Williams called him his mentor. Saul called him a real teacher.

In that, Whitworth has emerged as one of the better leaders of this generation. There are numerous stories of Rams players that point to Whitworth as a teacher and a mentor. Which has been vital to the success of the Rams offensive line. They have, in part, pinched pennies and relied on younger players because Whitworth has been there to coach and teach them into quality starters and potential starters. During last year’s covid affected offseason, he filled his garage with gym equipment and invited teammates over to train with him.

His leadership extends to his philanthropic efforts as well. He has been the Walter Payton Man of the Year award nomination since 2018.

With all these things taken into consideration, it is hard not to put Big Whit into the fourth position. If he only has one more year in him there are only a few things he can do to bolster his position.

He must bounce back from the most significant injury of his career and play at a level that meets or exceeds last season. What would seal his place above the rest of the second tier would be to bring the Lombardi trophy to LA for the first time. Not only would he solidify his standing, but it would also strengthen his case as a Hall of Famer.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whit is the gamer the team needs on the line. My biggest concern for the o-line is once he retires who fills that role? Don’t see anyone on the roster. I’m one of the fans who has been pleading for more o-line signings, Snead my have plans for next season. I just wish there was another leader on the line now. (There maybe but it doesn’t appear to be).

oldnotdead

Legend
Every time Noteboom has played LT he's played very well. IMO he's the presumptive starter going forward. The biggest issue is why in the hell they keep rolling out Havenstein at RT? He's just as bad as Blythe was. Go ahead look at his film. Giving up 9 sacks and who knows how many pressures over the last 2 years doesn't justify his starting and his cap. Worse yet the division rival Hawks own him. You can't have that on a team with SB aspirations. My biggest fear is Havenstein will get Stafford hurt.

McVay's philosophy of good enough isn't good enough anymore should extend to Rob. He and Blythe were a big reason Goff got gunshy. Funny how McVay only now with Goff gone is Blythe replaced with guys already on the roster isn't it? Also, now that Goff is gone they get a real OL coach as well. Time for the other part of the problem to go as well.

Edwards or Brewer are the likely replacements for him so start them now. They can't play any worse than he does. Only PFF and the media think he's good and they have proven they don't know shit. You have to know the Rams tried to move him but no team was going to take an overpaid mediocre RT.

No LT isn't a problem now or going forward. Havenstein is a very real issue now so let the future start this year at RT. What I'm hoping is that Rob is still on the roster until TC where they can get a look at his replacement. Like Whitworth, Rob's contract says he's gone after next year anyway. So why wait and risk Stafford?

Tano

Legend
Every time Noteboom has played LT he's played very well. IMO he's the presumptive starter going forward. The biggest issue is why in the hell they keep rolling out Havenstein at RT? He's just as bad as Blythe was. Go ahead look at his film. Giving up 9 sacks and who knows how many pressures over the last 2 years doesn't justify his starting and his cap. Worse yet the division rival Hawks own him. You can't have that on a team with SB aspirations. My biggest fear is Havenstein will get Stafford hurt.

McVay's philosophy of good enough isn't good enough anymore should extend to Rob. He and Blythe were a big reason Goff got gunshy. Funny how McVay only now with Goff gone is Blythe replaced with guys already on the roster isn't it? Also, now that Goff is gone they get a real OL coach as well. Time for the other part of the problem to go as well.

Edwards or Brewer are the likely replacements for him so start them now. They can't play any worse than he does. Only PFF and the media think he's good and they have proven they don't know shit. You have to know the Rams tried to move him but no team was going to take an overpaid mediocre RT.

No LT isn't a problem now or going forward. Havenstein is a very real issue now so let the future start this year at RT. What I'm hoping is that Rob is still on the roster until TC where they can get a look at his replacement. Like Whitworth, Rob's contract says he's gone after next year anyway. So why wait and risk Stafford?
Havenstein has one huge advantage over Blythe. He is a beast in the run game. Does it make up for his weakness in the passing game?

Goff wasn't the most mobile dude so I don't know. However, Stafford is much more mobile than Goff so maybe that makes up for Havenstein's weakness. We will see if Stafford is able to take advantage of Havenstein's strength and avoid the outside rush better than Goff.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Don't be surprised if Whitworth plays another two or three years.
I am grateful the Rams have already gotten four quality years from him; and maybe five if this season goes well.

I did not anticipate more than two years when they signed a 36-year-old Whitworth in 2017.

Personally, I would be surprised if Whitworth plays beyond this season. But if it happens and he plays well, I would be very pleasantly surprised.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
A Super Bowl win would be the perfect finish to Whit's career. It would pretty much put a gold jacket on his back.

I don't know if he wants a future in coaching or media, but either way, I think he's going to be very successful post-playing career. Maybe in 2030 we'll get Whit and McVay calling games together on MNF.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
No mention of Jackie Slater, who played 20 years for the Rams? 259 games, 211 started, 7 pro-bowls. Played til he was 42 yrs old.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
No mention of Jackie Slater, who played 20 years for the Rams? 259 games, 211 started, 7 pro-bowls. Played til he was 42 yrs old.
Slater was great, and one of my all-time favorites but he was not playing as much over his final three seasons.

I think Slater played to 41, and only played one game in his final (20th) season.

interesting fact about his early-career. Slater was not a starter until his fourth season; and got the Right Tackle spot when long-time RT John Williams suffered an injury in 1979.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
If by no mention you mean he was listed as one of the the members of the untouchable trinity that Whitworth won't surpass, yes there was no mention.

…..

Legend
Slater, Pace, Harrah, Saul and Whit. Great list.

Weve been blessed that Whit has worked himself onto the Rams all time greats list. We only expected a couple years free agent gap to our next long term LT. We’ve gotten so much more than that.

What he means in terms of team leadership and community example cannot be measured.

It would be unfair to rank these greats. They are all number ones to me.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
My list since I have been watching, from mid to late 70's

Slater

Pace

Mack

Harrah

Saul - (don't remember him much, but was a great player)

Pankey - (excellent LT, gave Lawrence Taylor fits)

Doug Smith - (often overlooked, perennial pro bowler)

Whitworth

Kent Hill - (Traded while still pretty young)

Adam Timmerman

Tom Newberry - (another guy forgotten about because the tram fell off after his first few years)

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
My list since I have been watching, from mid to late 70's

Slater

Pace

Mack

Harrah

Saul - (don't remember him much, but was a great player)

Pankey - (excellent LT, gave Lawrence Taylor fits)

Doug Smith - (often overlooked, perennial pro bowler)

Whitworth

Kent Hill - (Traded while still pretty young)

Adam Timmerman

Tom Newberry - (another guy forgotten about because the tram fell off after his first few years)
That's a nice (and complete) list; and in the early/mid '70s, there was Charlie Cowan and Doug France at LT, Joe Scibelli at RG, John Williams at RT and Ken Iman at C.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
That's a nice (and complete) list; and in the early/mid '70s, there was Charlie Cowan and Doug France at LT, Joe Scibelli at RG, John Williams at RT and Ken Iman at C.
I remember France & Williams, but didn't understand football enough at 7-8 yrs old to grade them, but I know they were good.

I put Mack on because he was a HOFer and pro bowler every year it seemed. Saul as well.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I credit Whit for turning this franchise around along with McVay.

His leadership, elite play at LT right away - can't be understated

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
The great Ram resurgence doesn't happen without Big Whit. I still wish the Rams had retained Saffold as the running game deteriorated without he and Whit clearing out the left side. With that said, Edwards should have a very good career ahead of him.

I personally am a fan of Havenstein and firmly believe 19 was a year he battled injuries and should be assigned warrior status as opposed to lumping that year's statistics with last year as he performed much better and I expect him to have his best season in 21. He's a monster in the run game and Evans is no slouch either so as long as McStafford doesn't abandon the Akers, Hendo formula, the downfield play action calls will provide many explosives. But I agree if we frequently go empty backfield and expect Havs and Evans to hold up for five seconds...it could get ugly. They will have to keep Mundt in-line and slide protection there because otherwise, bad things will happen.

The Mack, Slater, and Pace eras were special. The Whitworth lines have been good, but lacked the depth of those other lines (through no fault of Andrew himself). This is why I pounded the table for a focus on the line in this year's draft but McSnead wanted impact THIS YEAR which I understand. Perhaps they believe scheme and skill players can mask line deficiencies, but that seems to me the trap that the entire NFC West has gambled for a decade now. I simply disagree. I believe the fall of the Steeler's offense and the rise of the Titans offense are perfect evidence of what I mean. I will keep my fingers crossed and ride with McVay's method...but I have serious doubts about the long term success unless I see a line that can hold up to top 5 defensive lines.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think that Big Whit would have a great career in the broadcast booth if he so chose. He’s got a folksy and authentic way about his speaking during interviews.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I think that Big Whit would have a great career in the broadcast booth if he so chose. He’s got a folksy and authentic way about his speaking during interviews.
You're right, a bit like Merlin Olsen in that regard