If the Rams made a trade...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It's going to be low hanging fruit.

Hill will take the snaps this year - maybe they grab another youngin from another team to give him a year carrying a clipboard in the system.

The long term solution comes from the 2015 draft - although I can't discount the possibility that Bradford comes back from this someday.

SWMO Fan

UDFA
Name
Mike
I really admire all you true Rams fans that have already written off Shaun Hill. I vote we get behind our new QB and give him the same level of support we gave Bradford. You just might be pleasantly surprised. It could be that Austin Davis may be our QB of the future (I believe Hill is already 34 years old). People were ready to give Bradford a fifth year to finally become a winning QB. Is it asking too much to give Hill one year?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He's also a rookie learning a very complicated offense. The guy has all the tools and will get better.

I don't share the same optimism when it comes to Gilbert.

DrLurkalot

UDFA
Name
Don
I'm not excited about any of our options, but I think Sanchez or Ponder are the two most likely to be targeted. I'm not a big Sanchez fan, but I think he's a top 20 qb on this team. One thing you can't criticize Sanchez on is his enthusiasm. This team needs an enthusiastic leader more than ever after Bradford's injury and Sanchez would step right into that role. I also think the Rams feel Ponder has talent and that a change of scenery would help kickstart his career. I thought the Rams looked into his availabilty last year, but were either shot down or the price was too high. Probably could get him for a 7th rounder this season now that he's 3rd string - after we play them, though.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sanchez was never better than he was with Schotty. He was never very good, but at least he was servicable. He was just awful after Schotty left, though.
He played one season without shotty and the results were pretty consistent. Terrible.
The only "success" he's had as a qb is this years pre season. With chip Kelly

As for the glennon talk, why on earth would Tampa give up on him? He played prett well for a rookie on a team that quit on it's coach. And now they've got a 34 year old on a 2 year cheap deal. Can't imagine they'd just plan on starting over in a year or so

Memphis Ram

Legend
I was thinking Mark Sanchez at first because he probably has the most experience in this offense. But, he's not available, on a one year deal, and apparently doesn't want to work with Schottenhiemer.

That said, I wouldn't trade for any of them. I'd go with Shaun Hill and bring in Vince Young to be his backup (if Fisher would let me) along with Davis. Gilbert would go to practice squad.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I really admire all you true Rams fans that have already written off Shaun Hill. I vote we get behind our new QB and give him the same level of support we gave Bradford. You just might be pleasantly surprised. It could be that Austin Davis may be our QB of the future (I believe Hill is already 34 years old). People were ready to give Bradford a fifth year to finally become a winning QB. Is it asking too much to give Hill one year?

This is why I'm advocating going for Ryan Griffin. Pick him up and let him learn behind hill and see what you have next year. If we tank, we get a top pick at QB and have Griffin as a good backup next year.

SWMO Fan

UDFA
Name
Mike
If the Rams make a trade for a QB, then Snead isn't very smart. We may pick up someone for QB depth off the waiver wire, but we won't trade for one. JMO

iced

hell to the no on glennon - watched him enough living in the bay area. Only QB in the entire league who couldn't convert on 3rd and long (can't remember the exact stat, it was like 30+ attempts from 3rd and 9 or more and he had 0)

I'd rather look at Connor Shaw or Mallett, outside of those two I'm not really interested...I kind of think Cousins is overrated - I don't think the difference between him and Hill would be worth what we'd give up.

And I wouldn't just outright cut Bradford or trade him either without his replacement on the roster - I'd keep him at the very least as a back up or competition, especially if a rookie is brought in. If anything Sam can help teach the system

Last edited:

RAM's-NWST

UDFA
There are 10+ quarterbacks who could be made available that are better than Gilbert and Davis right now. Several teams will be willing to take a 2015 mid-late round pick plus some cash. I think the Rams need to cut Bradford prior to the season starts, use the money saved to go buy some quarterback depth with experience.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, that's really two things.

2014: As of right now, looks like the Rams are going with Hill and Davis. They'll probably carry 3 QBs because of the trauma of losing Bradford. So keeping 3 QBs, unless someone really surprising shakes loose, that's our 3 guys. I really doubt they change that. This crew builds through the draft and has budgeted to do just that.

2015: Part of all that was paying Bradford. Well, he's not really in the picture, so there's about $14M this year and the $18M he'd likely have earned after that freed up. Depending on what happens with Shaun Hill and his level of success, we could extend him and draft his eventual replacement or simply draft our next franchise QB. If that guy works out, we're in Seattle territory managing the cap because we're talking a QB on a rookie salary for 5 years and unless he's picked in the top 10 picks, the contract will be very affordable.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I don't think any of the guys mentioned except Ben will get us any further than Hill,Glennon might get us as far, but IMO then your looking at him long term and I don't like that.

Order of preference:

Trade a second round pick for Jimmy Garoppolo, his value couldn't have changed that much since the draft, start Hill until the bye, then go with Garoppolo as the long term starter.
Connor Shaw, but we would have drafted him over Gilbert if we wanted him so zero chance of happening.
Hill

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
@Memphis Ram - Fisher wouldn't let you. It appears Fisher make the right call on Vince Young - I know he is hungry for a contract, but that hasn't been enough to get him one despite several chances to catch back on in the league.

Memphis Ram

Legend
IMO, a trade for anyone this late, that doesn't know the offense would simply be a waste of time. But, if it had to be done, I would hope that they'd pick up a veteran that at least has proven that he knows how to read defenses.

What's the use in trading for another young kid to basically redshirt this season because he doesn't know the offense only to draft his replacement next year?

Memphis Ram

Legend
@Memphis Ram - Fisher wouldn't let you. It appears Fisher make the right call on Vince Young - I know he is hungry for a contract, but that hasn't been enough to get him one despite several chances to catch back on in the league.

Oh. I know. But, if he's in shape, I'd have to give him a look.