If the Rams made a trade...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'm trading a pick for Griff
Obviously, it's a long shot that the Rams do make a trade. But I thought it was worth asking, which QB would you prefer them to trade for? What would you give up?

A few options to consider off the top of my head (in no order):
1. Kirk Cousins - Washington
2. Mike Glennon - Tampa Bay
3. Mike Vick - New York Jets
4. Mark Sanchez - Philly
5. Ryan Mallett - New England (not putting Jimmy G on the list)
6. Christian Ponder - Minnesota
7. Kellen Moore - Detroit
8. Ryan Griffin - New Orleans
9. Matt Moore - Miami
10. Matt McGloin - Oakland

I'm sure you guys probably have some other names you can come up with. Off of this list, I like Mike Glennon from Tampa Bay the best. I think he showed potential as a rookie although he wasn't lights out. I'd be willing to offer Tampa Bay a 5th round pick for him.

I'm going Ryan Griffin. He looks extremely solid. The cost is going to be about right without hampering us to the future. Unless the Saints really don't want to let him go.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'd have to disagree on Griffin. There's a reason why he was an UDFA and is the 3rd stringer in New Orleans, right?

He's pushing for the backup position in his second year after being a UDFA. The only person he's really behind is Brees. That's saying something.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Sanchez or bust.

But seriously, if we get Sanchez idk what to even think. I don't care if he leads us to 12 wins, I don't want a guy known as butt fumble on our team.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If Sanchez is in horns holding the Lombardi...

I don't care WHAT they call him as long as they call him with the time for the Victory Parade...

V3

Hall of Fame
Absolutely not.

But lets be honest here. How many QB starters in this league are taken in the top 10? Not a ton.

Last year of the starting QB's 8 of 32 were drafted in the top 10 (Thats in week 17 and does not include Sam and RG 3). That's only 25%.

Of the last 20 QB's to compete in the superbowl over the last 10 years. Only 6 were taken in the top 10 of the draft (5 of those 6 were the Manning brothers). The other was Donavon McNabb.

My point is you can find value outside the top of drafts in the QB position. Yes, you have those rare guys like the Manning(s) and Luck, but often times you find guys that fit into your system and run it to perfection (ala Russell Wilson).

I don't share the faith that others here have in this regime to find an elite QB outside of the top 3.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Glennon is my first choice. I'd give up a third and a fifth.
Ryan Griffin would be a nice backup for Sean Hill, with potential to eventually start.

Unfortunately Hill doesn't have a strong arm. The deep passes will be out of the play book. He also lobs the ball too much suggesting he cannot put any Zip on the ball.....scary thought a la Clemens. Glennon has a stronger arm.

I don't want Sanchez. An offseason with Kelly does not guarantee the old Mark doesn't show up.

Let's just tank the season and pick Marriota or Hundley next year.......or trade the farm for Christian Hackenburg in the 2016 NFL draft!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But what team is going to give up a guy that has potential as "the guy" for less than a 2nd rd pick? I agree with you that they need to plan for the future. But we really do not know what we have in Davis or Gilbert yet.

A team that doesn't value him in the same way...possibly because they didn't draft that player for their scheme?

TexRamFan

Rookie
A team that doesn't value him in the same way...possibly because they didn't draft that player for their scheme?

Fair enough.

I just think that will be hard because every team knows the Rams will be wanting someone. The cost of doing business will be much higher. Plus you got very few guys on teams that do not fit their schemes. You are basically limiting this to new coaches.

TexRamFan

Rookie
I don't share the faith that others here have in this regime to find an elite QB outside of the top 3.

I honestly think a lot of it has to do with being in the right place at the right time V3. I mean did the Pats staff know that Brady was going to be great? Russel Wilson seems to be doing pretty good and no one predicted that.

I think you will find that a majority of QB's who turn out to be successful are drafted later in the draft for one reason. They are put on teams with talent. Not because the scouting or in the regime new the QB was going to be great.

The Team makes the QB, the QB does not make the team in most cases. Yes you have your rare ones like in any sport like Peyton, etc. But for the most part it is VERY hard for a QB to go to a team as a rookie and turn it around if they do not have talent. However, if a rookie or young QB is put in the right situation at the right time, and surrounded by good talent, great things can happen.

jjab360

Legend
I'd have to disagree on Griffin. There's a reason why he was an UDFA and is the 3rd stringer in New Orleans, right?
There's also a reason why we tried to poach him from the N.O. PS last year and they moved him up to the 53 to keep him away from us.

V3

Hall of Fame
I honestly think a lot of it has to do with being in the right place at the right time V3. I mean did the Pats staff know that Brady was going to be great? Russel Wilson seems to be doing pretty good and no one predicted that.

I think you will find that a majority of QB's who turn out to be successful are drafted later in the draft for one reason. They are put on teams with talent. Not because the scouting or in the regime new the QB was going to be great.

The Team makes the QB, the QB does not make the team in most cases. Yes you have your rare ones like in any sport like Peyton, etc. But for the most part it is VERY hard for a QB to go to a team as a rookie and turn it around if they do not have talent. However, if a rookie or young QB is put in the right situation at the right time, and surrounded by good talent, great things can happen.

I agree to an extent about being in the right place at the right time. Bradford was probably drafted into the worst possible scenario for his career. Brady was pure luck. Wilson I don't think was much luck. Really, the only knock on Wilson coming out of college was his size. If he were 6'4", he would have been one of the first QBs taken in that draft.

Beyond all that, though, I still don't have faith in this group to find a QB, wherever that may be. I'll just leave it at that.

TexRamFan

Rookie
I agree to an extent about being in the right place at the right time. Bradford was probably drafted into the worst possible scenario for his career. Brady was pure luck. Wilson I don't think was much luck. Really, the only knock on Wilson coming out of college was his size. If he were 6'4", he would have been one of the first QBs taken in that draft.

Beyond all that, though, I still don't have faith in this group to find a QB, wherever that may be. I'll just leave it at that.

Hard to argue with that point. It does not get much worse than what he was thrown into.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Either cousins or bust. None of those others inspire anymore confidence in me than Hill.
Agree and Cousins ain't getting traded by Washinton. We just ride out the season with Hill an Gilbert, let our young guys get experience, and either trade or draft a QB next year.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
"We will not pick up a veteran QB that may have played in a SB or something like that. WE WILL RALLY BEHIND SHAUN HILL AND PLAY GOOD FOOTBALL."
-Dick Vermeil 2014

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless Sanchez is bringing chip Kelly with him I can't think of a qb I'd want less. Reunite him with shotty? Good lord
Hill will be fine and they can bring in chase Daniel when KC cuts him to make room for Aaron Murray

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fair enough.

I just think that will be hard because every team knows the Rams will be wanting someone. The cost of doing business will be much higher. Plus you got very few guys on teams that do not fit their schemes. You are basically limiting this to new coaches.

Like Washington and Tampa Bay? ;)

jjab360

Legend
Unless Sanchez is bringing chip Kelly with him I can't think of a qb I'd want less. Reunite him with shotty? Good lord
Hill will be fine and they can bring in chase Daniel when KC cuts him to make room for Aaron Murray
Sanchez was never better than he was with Schotty. He was never very good, but at least he was servicable. He was just awful after Schotty left, though.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Just say no to Cousins. Seriously, did anyone watch him against top level talent last year? I did. No wanty.