If the Rams cheated...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What would you do if the Rams cheated but won a ton of games and super bowls like NE?

• I'd stop being a fan

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • Wouldn't bother me at all

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • I'd rationalize it by saying everyone cheats... we just got caught and we're still super bowl champs

Votes: 45 60.0%

• Total voters

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's my opinion that Roger Goodell approved the burning of those surveillance tapes by the Patriots of the Rams (& others), because the "Brand" might have absorbed a serious hit, by having to void a Super Bowl Championship. It's easier for the NFL to decide burn the tapes over cigars and brandy, than to be honest. It's a conspiracy theory that will never go away, because they burned the evidence...Evidence which would have cleared or convicted the Patriots, so you can decide which outcome would have been more likely by their actions.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, I'm fine with it, they still have to play and win. Sure it gives them an advantage, but it came down to a FG, so the Rams could've won.
That just tells me we were overwhelmingly better to overcome the foot on the scales of fairness. Sorry, that gives me no friggin comfort at all.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Non of the above. Initially I would be very very disappointed. What is the fun in winning if you cheat? What did you prove? Maybe if they never got caught again I would get over it. I got over the move from LA. Probably take a year at which point, I would try to root for the chargers or some other team. I would fail and be back. I would not rationalize it. Yep they cheated I think it sucks but I hated all the other teams for so long I can't change.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
At this point in my life, I'd quit being a fan.

Ithink I lean in the same direction.

It's my opinion that Roger Goodell approved the burning of those surveillance tapes by the Patriots of the Rams (& others), because the "Brand" might have absorbed a serious hit, by having to void a Super Bowl Championship. It's easier for the NFL to decide burn the tapes over cigars and brandy, than to be honest. It's a conspiracy theory that will never go away, because they burned the evidence...Evidence which would have cleared or convicted the Patriots, so you can decide which outcome would have been more likely by their actions.

I've always said the same thing. If those tapes had nothing of consequence on them they would have been falling all over themselves to make them public.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I can not accept this scenario as a possibility! Not with 67 years as a Rams Fan! therefore I just dismiss the entire idea!

If someone claimed the Rams Cheated I'd say "BS! Prove it!"

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
What a depressing thing to think about. I'm already "this close" to stop watching the NFL altogether. The thought of my favorite team joining the ranks of cheating teams makes me sick. I don't think I could watch the Rams anymore. Football has been fun for me to watch for over 60 years, but the last 15 have been marred by all the negative things we have talked about here. Spoiled players, bad officiating, Inept NFL front office oversight, etc, etc....

It's not so fun anymore.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess it depends on the severity, any kind of dirty play, like deliberately trying to injure people,

I dunno... the Fisher/Williams brand of football was pretty dirty and I remember quite a few conversations on this board... lots of rationalization going on. LOL

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I dunno... the Fisher/Williams brand of football was pretty dirty and I remember quite a few conversations on this board... lots of rationalization going on. LOL
It never looked like they were deliberately trying to injure the opposition, at least in my opinion. The Joyner hit was the closest to being dirty.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
That just tells me we were overwhelmingly better to overcome the foot on the scales of fairness. Sorry, that gives me no friggin comfort at all.
I guess we disagree on this subject. Hopefully we won't have to worry about supporting a cheating organization.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a fine line between hitting REALLY hard and hitting dirty. I remember one hit that Michael Brockers laid out a QB trying to rush through the Oline for a TD. Brockers got a personal foul for that and some called him dirty (not Rams fans). I still don't get that one. Also, since Williams was our DC, we always got Cr@p for being dirty, whether true or not.

Our guys were certainly more chippy and STUPID with getting in fights and losing games because of the stupidity.....Not rationalizing, I called a dirty hit a dirty hit at the time ...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
None of the above. It would depend on the level. Deflate Gate, for example would not be enough to make me walk away from my team. Cheating and having the NFL burn tapes on something that helped us win a SB might be enough. It would certainly make me discouraged and could tip the scales and make me not care anymore. I want my team to win and win legit. The game is tough enough and taking a totally illegal "edge" would taint any win - especially a SB win.
I wouldn't "sell my soul" for just a season or two but...
Belichick (in NE):
214 - 74
In 18 years (18 years of success!):
14 playoff appearances
1 Wild Card appearance (0 - 1)
2 Divisional appearances (0 - 2)
4 Conference appearances (0 - 4)
7 Super Bowl appearances (5 - 2)

Consider what the Rams were up to during that span.

So... we can hold our heads up and say we went 111 - 160 - 1 the clean way.
:(

Zodi

Hall of Fame
havwy.jpg

nighttrain

Legend
It's a fine line between hitting REALLY hard and hitting dirty. I remember one hit that Michael Brockers laid out a QB trying to rush through the Oline for a TD. Brockers got a personal foul for that and some called him dirty (not Rams fans). I still don't get that one. Also, since Williams was our DC, we always got Cr@p for being dirty, whether true or not.

Our guys were certainly more chippy and STUPID with getting in fights and losing games because of the stupidity.....Not rationalizing, I called a dirty hit a dirty hit at the time ...
Williams = penalties
train

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What is the fun in winning if you cheat?
"Winning isn't everything... it's the only thing"

(The quotation is widely, but wrongly attributed to American football coach Vince Lombardi, who probably heard the phrase from UCLA coach Sanders. Lombardi is on record using the quotation as early as 1959 in his opening talk on the first day of the Packers’ training camp)

Ram65

Legend
It depends on what it was. I didn't vote.

It's funny that I turned to 60 minutes last night late in the Eagles game as they were doing the 50th year anniversary edition. Caught a little about the athletes they interviewed and what I saw was the "cheating" in Baseball and Cycling. The denials to the admissions of Jeter and Armstrong on PEDs. That was such turnoff. It really is important to keep the games honest with a level playing field.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ithink I lean in the same direction.

I've always said the same thing. If those tapes had nothing of consequence on them they would have been falling all over themselves to make them public.

The next thought beyond Brady,Bellicheck, and Kraft cheating with the taping scandal...IF it was apparent according to the burnt tapes, the Patriot organization would have been so hammered by a red-faced NFL, they probably would have fired the Hoody after a Super Bowl or two were voided....If so, I doubt they would be esteemed as they are today. Brady without the Hoody's coaching, cap management, drafting, etc.....the Patriots would just be a flawed organization and Brady would be a cautionary tale. Brady would just be the next Phillip Rivers/Shoeless Joe Jackson guy....

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
At this point in my life, I'd quit being a fan.

In my younger years (before age 30), I would probably rationalize a cheating Rams team. But for different reasons, I lost respect for a different favorite team of my youth (LA Lakers) because of the actions that were rationalized by fans in the midst of their winning World Championships. The NBA is dead to me now, as a cheating Rams team would be.
LoyalRam,
Since I am a Lakers fan I would like to know what you are referring to when you they cheated.

~ArkyRamsFan~

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep, I'm a dirty fan. I'd overlook it, make excuses, talk ridiculous $#!T, and otherwise resemble a Cheatriots fan.

This. Especially because it's not exactly crystal clear how the Patriots "cheated". All of the issues are pretty muddled and gives their fans easy routes to explain it away.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I couldn't stop being a Ram Fan... but...

It would make being a Fan an embarrassment for me. I'm a proud Ram Fan win OR lose. But the thought of knowing that my team was rampant with cheating... basically a cheating culture... would be a complete and total embarrassment. There is absolutely no way that I would be able to rationalize the cheating to anyone. I'd rather have my team lose, than know that they cheated. Especially at the level of cheating that that team from Boston has stooped to.

Same here, wouldn't stop being a fan, but wouldn't defend them either. Would be a sad day if that happened, embarrassed to be a fan. Hope they right the ship etc...

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't "sell my soul" for just a season or two but...
Belichick (in NE):
214 - 74
In 18 years (18 years of success!):
14 playoff appearances
1 Wild Card appearance (0 - 1)
2 Divisional appearances (0 - 2)
4 Conference appearances (0 - 4)
7 Super Bowl appearances (5 - 2)

Consider what the Rams were up to during that span.

So... we can hold our heads up and say we went 111 - 160 - 1 the clean way.
:(
Remember what started us down that path of futility. It was losing that SB. Martz became paranoid. He had to answer endless question about how he lost. Zigmut started to gain power. When you cheat it is like stealing. Think of the money stolen out of the pockets of our players and coaches. I wonder if we would have gone thru such losing if we won. If the cheating hadn't happened.