If the Patriots can do it; so should we

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
They lose their top two TE's (Gronk and Hernandez).

They lose their free agent splash (Amendola).

They trot out a WR corp loaded with inexperience (4 rookies!).

And they beat Atlanta on the road scoring 30 points.

Currently; they are averaging 22.2 pts/gm (we are averaging 17.2).

Yeah, they have Tom Brady but he's put up a modest 87.4 rating and has been sacked 7 times.

They are 11th in the league in rushing averaging 4.1 ypc. That's a huge number compared to our 2.6 ypc.

Where am I going with this? If the Patriots can muster an offense with youth and inexperience, so should we!

I realize all of us are disappointed with the offense... and I personally believe their is a chance we jell the next few weeks and start clicking. But I won't accept the inexperience excuse!

moklerman

Warner-phile
The 2 problems I see with your contention are:

1 - the Patriots o-line

2 - they aren't running the Schottenheimer "offense"

V3

Hall of Fame
As much as it hurts to say it, Bradford is nowhere near what Tom Brady is.

That and Schotty are the reasons why we can't do what the Patriots are doing.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
moklerman said:

1 - the Patriots o-line

3 they have a QB people fear

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
They also lost one of their best players on defense Vince Wilfork for much of the night.

Time to get it done.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Rabid Ram said:
moklerman said:

1 - the Patriots o-line

3 they have a QB people fear
That's true but it still comes back to the o-line in this case. Brady doesn't have the weapons to utilize like he's had in the past but like always, he's got the o-line to give him all day to find those young receivers. Then he's got an offense designed to create mismatches. That short pass to a wide open Edelmon for 40 yards wasn't the brilliance or fear of Tom Brady, that was a good scheme that isolated him.

There's a reason why a JAG like Edelmon can be running around with no one around him and a guy like Austin can't get any separation. Bad scheme and no time.

fearsomefour

Legend
4 They stick with the run even if it is not getting chunks

5 They have a D that is effective usually

They DO have a hopeless tool for an OC so that gives us something in common.

They also barely beat two so-so football teams with rookie QBs. If the Rams lay another egg at home with extra time to prepare vs. a team everyone consideres the worst in football I dont think the O gets fixed this year. Im not talking about a 17-14 win. Although I certainly would enjoy the win. The Rams should be able to run and pass vs. this team and keep their O off the field. This year I was expecting some 23-21 wins and some 24-20 losses. A bunch of close games. The thing that is disturbing to me is not being 1-3 its being non competitive. If the Jets hadnt had a rookie QB throwing pics all over and Buffalo didnt allow a (literally) last second field goal the Pats are 2-2. The O is starting to come around but we also scored 24 on the Falcons. Their D is not great.
Its the not being competitive at all the last two games that has my undies in a bunch. I would have already made on change on the Oline. But, to me its more about what the team is being asked to do. You cant tell me that the Rams Oline is incapable of running the ball at all. Heck, even a 3.5 ypc average will keep the D honest if you bust off a 20 yarder every now and then.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
moklerman said:

1 - the Patriots o-line

2 - they aren't running the [hilite]"Shittyheimer offense"[/hilite]

Give this man a ceeeegar! You hit it right on the head. :clap: Although I did edit your response somewhat. :tooth:

EastRam

Pro Bowler
MTRamsFan said:
moklerman said:

1 - the Patriots o-line

2 - they aren't running the [hilite]"Shittyheimer offense"[/hilite]

Give this man a ceeeegar! You hit it right on the head. :clap: Although I did edit your response somewhat. :tooth:

Shouldn't your gif be the original "bouncy" gif? Just sayin.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's my point: I'm all for patience, but I'm also for accountability.

This coaching staff needs to find a way to work with what we have. Other teams are doing it.

That's my expectation as well!

:grin:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
moklerman said:

1 - the Patriots o-line

+1, with number one being the most important. If Bradford had the time that Brady does, we'd be able to muster some offense, even from our scheme.

moklerman

Warner-phile
DR RAM said:
moklerman said:

1 - the Patriots o-line

+1, with number one being the most important. If Bradford had the time that Brady does, we'd be able to muster some offense, even from our scheme.
That's the thing, even with the better o-line and better scheme, Brady and Bradford have very similar numbers this year so far:

Bradford:
107/182 58.8% 1,093 yards 6.0 ypa 7TD(3.8%) 3INT(1.6%) 47 (long) 82.1 rating
Brady:
93/158 58.9% 1,014 yards 6.4 ypa 7TD(4.4%) 2INT(1.3%) 49 (long) 87.4 rating

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
moklerman said:
DR RAM said:
moklerman said:

1 - the Patriots o-line

That's the thing, even with the better o-line and better scheme, Brady and Bradford have very similar numbers this year so far:

Bradford:
107/182 58.8% 1,093 yards 6.0 ypa 7TD(3.8%) 3INT(1.6%) 47 (long) 82.1 rating
Brady:
93/158 58.9% 1,014 yards 6.4 ypa 7TD(4.4%) 2INT(1.3%) 49 (long) 87.4 rating
And Brady has his own set of problems, some the same as us, young rec, and some diff ones, with the loss of a couple good players.

On the positive side, Brady has is a solid proven system, years in it, a great offensive line, a little bit of a running game, and a solid defense. We don't have those things.

The whole Bradford point to me is almost moot, but I feel the need to point things out that I think fans should know. If we don't start protecting him better, he's going to get knocked out, we can't even block 3 or 4 rushers. The other guys around him, including the coordinator are not helping him.

I'm not a homer QB guy, there are plenty of Ram's QB's that I haven't liked over my 40 years of being a Rams fan. I will turn on Bradford if it becomes apparent to me that he is the problem here. I don't think he is, but if we can't get him some help, keep him from repeatedly getting killed, then he's going to turn it off, and he won't be the guy.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I've never understood the need to compare two franchises like they're completely similar from top to bottom when the only similarity are very cosmetic.

moklerman

Warner-phile
HometownBoy said:
I've never understood the need to compare two franchises like they're completely similar from top to bottom when the only similarity are very cosmetic.
I doubt the OP "needed" to make the comparison but since the owner himself has expressed a desire to be like the Patriots maybe the comparison is apt?

Even if that wasn't the case, New England is generally considered a good measuring stick for comparisons. If you're like the Patriots there's a good chance you're doing well.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
moklerman said:
HometownBoy said:
I doubt the OP "needed" to make the comparison but since the owner himself has expressed a desire to be like the Patriots maybe the comparison is apt?

Even if that wasn't the case, New England is generally considered a good measuring stick for comparisons. If you're like the Patriots there's a good chance you're doing well.

Point is, we're not the Pats. So comparing our situations and wondering why they aren't similar is a futile practice.

The Pats have an elite QB, and explosive OC and a offensive line that seldom ever has been cracked. While we have an offensive line that gets beaten around so much the abuse hotline got a tip that somebody was televising a beating, a QB who's been stifled for years by inept play and an OC who hasn't had one fan outside of Fisher in years.

Comparing us to them and saying why can't we do that, why is our youth bad is ridiculous.

People just seem to compare youth and never the other details of why the team succeeds, you think if Tom Brady was a 4th year QB again, with his O-line as injured and inept as ours and McDaniels decided that his Erhardt-Perkins didn't have enough slants and draws that they wouldn't be in the exact same place as us?

They have established guys as playmakers to help take the pressure off the youthful guys, we have nothing but youth top to bottom. That's why our youth hurts, because we are a COMPLETELY young team. We have guys who are talented, but don't know what to do or how to do things with their talent yet, with all these guys going through the growing pains of becoming big boys in the NFL there's a big reason for why our youth equals inability. While the youth at NE has Brady and co to bail them out if they fall behind.

Youth all around=/=youth at some places. There really is no comparison.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
CGI_Ram said:
They lose their top two TE's (Gronk and Hernandez).

They lose their free agent splash (Amendola).

They trot out a WR corp loaded with inexperience (4 rookies!).

And they beat Atlanta on the road scoring 30 points.

Currently; they are averaging 22.2 pts/gm (we are averaging 17.2).

Yeah, they have Tom Brady but he's put up a modest 87.4 rating and has been sacked 7 times.

They are 11th in the league in rushing averaging 4.1 ypc. That's a huge number compared to our 2.6 ypc.

Where am I going with this? If the Patriots can muster an offense with youth and inexperience, so should we!

I realize all of us are disappointed with the offense... and I personally believe their is a chance we jell the next few weeks and start clicking. But I won't accept the inexperience excuse!

Let's go by QB's faced head to head:

Brady Vs Manuel, geno Smith, a freeman prior to being benched then finally Ryan.

Bradford vs Palmer, romo, Ryan and Kaepernick ( who I consider a wash with tJ rubley). Except I hate Kaepernick much more.

Defenses and supporting staff aren't a fair comparison either