If the #2 pick doesn't start immediately...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

cracengl

Rookie
You are all entitled to question it. I don't care. I just think some people are too knee-jerk. People assume the worst before considering other reasonable options. I've said it before--I think it's a byproduct of 10 years of mismanagement and losing. It's time to kick the pessimist routine until Fisher and Snead prove it is warranted. So far, the level of talent on the team and the general direction they seem to be heading in suggest that it's not just another poser coach and poser GM that are going to eventually be outed after dragging the organization off into the weeds again.

Athos

Legend
You say that as if it is an insult to Robinson and Gaines almost.

Gaines SHOULD have been drafted far, far sooner. I'm talking 3rd round.

He'll prove it starting Sunday.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
If you think my post about our first rounders not starting was complaining or bitching that is a problem that you have, not me.

I was trying to generate a discussion about my disappointment and to see what others thoughts were...but never did I insinuate that Robinson was a bust or anything like that.

You know, it is entirely possible to be an optimist while also still having questions about certain things. Likewise, it is possible to be happy with the work of the FO while still questioning some of their moves.

bigdog2834

UDFA
Name
Donnie
The way I see it, most teams that are drafting 2nd overall are in desperate need of talent and would expect that pick to start immediately. We really aren't that team. We got our pick because of another teams failure. So, I don't see it as that big of a deal that G-Rob isn't starting. We did draft him because of a huge upside didn't we? I also don't think we knew what we had in Davin Joseph. Would he return to form or not? I think we are in a lot better position depth wise. I like knowing we have a good player like G-Rob that we can bring off the bench initially.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
The way I see it, most teams that are drafting 2nd overall are in desperate need of talent and would expect that pick to start immediately. We really aren't that team. We got our pick because of another teams failure. So, I don't see it as that big of a deal that G-Rob isn't starting. We did draft him because of a huge upside didn't we? I also don't think we knew what we had in Davin Joseph. Would he return to form or not? I think we are in a lot better position depth wise. I like knowing we have a good player like G-Rob that we can bring off the bench initially.

Exactly. Play the best team now. Grob will be fine in time. Orlando Pace didn't start for 6 games.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
The only reason I was ho hum on getting Robinson is because I thought he was so raw with an NFL pass pro concept.

But clearly, Saffold will be getting hurt so Robinson will be starting eventually.

I also remember people scolding me for doing mock drafts where any of my first rounders probably would not start. Lol

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert

I totally agree with your thoughts. Additionally I think who we play the frist few weeks and the fact that you have one experienced quarterback (I do not count Kenum because it will tale at minimum 2-3 weeks to learn the system to be minimally functional) are huge contributors to the decision. 3 of the 4 first teams we play have strong DTs or are adept at bring pressure up the middle. The Rams would have been thrilled if Robinson showed blitz pass protectional skills early but planned for the possibility that he might not by signing Joesph who looks to be back from illness/injury and is also injury protection for Saffold.

Robinson will start next year (if there are no injuries this year to the starters) and for many years there after. Which postion next year depends on injuries and FA decisions related to Staffold, Barksdale and Long.

I think this draft pick gives us much more flexibility and is an example of good FO work.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Do I wish GRob was dominating and starting week 1? Yes!

But, he was drafted knowing he had work to do in his pass protection. Why do some people forget that?

And... Because Joseph (a former pro bowler by the way) is ahead of him we are surprised?

I am glad this board knows football. If you think about it (key word - think) this is exactly as it was likely to be from the get go.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
You can't hand them the job, making them earn it will bring out their best

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
Is our 6th round corner starting because he won the job or because somebody got injured ?

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I think g-rob not starting is more of a testament to how well Joseph has been lately more than how bad greg is. They knew he wasn't going to be 100% day one. I personally don't like the idea of a draft pick starting right away. I think they benefit from watching the game a bit.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Do I wish GRob was dominating and starting week 1? Yes!

But, he was drafted knowing he had work to do in his pass protection. Why do some people forget that?

And... Because Joseph (a former pro bowler by the way) is ahead of him we are surprised?

I am glad this board knows football. If you think about it (key word - think) this is exactly as it was likely to be from the get go.

Haven't forgotten...but that was a major part of why he'd be starting at guard this season...which he still likely will at some point.

Also, folks using the Pace analogy (first of all, anal) is a bit misguided...Orlando Pace didn't start right away because he wasn't in camp until after the final preseason game. So he essentially spent 4 weeks getting ready as if he was going through camp. He came in after that and was dominant. Greg Robinson has the physical make up to be dominant, I hope he is once he gets in there!

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I think g-rob not starting is more of a testament to how well Joseph has been lately more than how bad greg is. They knew he wasn't going to be 100% day one. I personally don't like the idea of a draft pick starting right away. I think they benefit from watching the game a bit.
After listening to Fisher on the subject today I don't necessarily think that is the case either. Fisher made it sound like Robinson is performing just fine but he wanted the experienced guys to play in week one...a few people suggested this in the other post, so kudos to those guys. I think this is a great thing as long as it is legitimate and not just coach speak. I trust Fisher much more than I did the previous regime...so here is hoping things are going smoothly!

Ramatik

Starter
So when someone has a concern that goes against the Rams, it's bitching? I see.

BTW, I haven't really even said that much on the topic because I have bigger concerns elsewhere on the team. I just hate that there can only be one viewpoint or else it's bitching, whining, stupid, etc.

No, I think that when someone is bitching... it's bitching.

See?

Every day, some of the same bitches just bitch about the same ol' thing.

I think that's where the term bitch slap originally came from.

You can have a different opinion. Of course you can. But don't be a bitch.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Haven't forgotten...but that was a major part of why he'd be starting at guard this season...which he still likely will at some point.

Also, folks using the Pace analogy (first of all, anal) is a bit misguided...Orlando Pace didn't start right away because he wasn't in camp until after the final preseason game. So he essentially spent 4 weeks getting ready as if he was going through camp. He came in after that and was dominant. Greg Robinson has the physical make up to be dominant, I hope he is once he gets in there!

To be clear; I wasn't directing my comment toward anyone in particular. Just the general vibe.

Your point RE: Pace is a good one. It illustrates no scenario is exactly the same. Which is the point with GRob too, IMO.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
To be clear; I wasn't directing my comment toward anyone in particular. Just the general vibe.

Your point RE: Pace is a good one. It illustrates no scenario is exactly the same. Which is the point with GRob, IMO.
I know...I didn't take it as such.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
If you think my post about our first rounders not starting was complaining or bitching that is a problem that you have, not me.

I was trying to generate a discussion about my disappointment and to see what others thoughts were...but never did I insinuate that Robinson was a bust or anything like that.

You know, it is entirely possible to be an optimist while also still having questions about certain things. Likewise, it is possible to be happy with the work of the FO while still questioning some of their moves.
Well you did conjure Jason Smith in subsequent posts and there by drew a comparison to a known "bust", which isn't ON anyone else and went on to say "the front office" had fed us a line or substantially that ,which I replied was a different bunch anyway so ................
FWIW I don't think people consider you as being a chronic "bitcher" and I think you accomplished a discussion but did seem to want to make an unpopular point so some might have seen it as bitching.
Further in your posts you conflated not starting opening day into the season and there is no way of making that determination yet,I think GR claims a starting roll sometime soon and trust Fisher to put the best players not the most talented ones on the field.
No one needs to have a problem BTW.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Not only did we have the benefit of drafting that high due to Washington's failures, we were able to get a steal of a player with OUR draft slot in Donald.

I think at the heart of the issue here, is that for so long, we have been that team who "earned" the #2 pick in the draft, and this fan base in general, is almost brainwashed into thinking that EVERY PLAYER we pick in the top 3 rounds has to be an INSTANT STARTER or else the organization made yet another mistake. The difference is this regime has done an amazing job of turning over this roster, in just their 3rd off season, that not only are they to the point of not being forced to rush players into the lineup before they are ready to play at a level that they won't hurt the team, they actually have better players already in place.

Along those lines, when they have 11 draft picks and the last 5 of them don't make the roster, it's not the end of the world. In recent past, having a 5th round pick (Rok Watkins) not making the team was viewed as a big deal. For me at least, it says this roster is so much deeper and more talented than it has been in years. That it is now actually difficult to EARN a spot on the roster, much less in the starting lineup.

Also, I read comments referring to the past 10 years of ineptitude and failure. To be fair, I think that does a disservice to THIS REGIME and what they have done in the past 2+ years. If you want to say that the 10 years prior to Fisher and Snead coming on board, starting with the Zygmunt/Martz feud, then fine. But to include these past 2 years in that disaster is just not accurate.