IF Tavon doesn't impress this camp NOW is the time to trade him

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When a staff pushes for certain players to be retained and get what they want, but then the players tank or otherwise don't live up to it, it's a big black eye for all and the head coach gets to eat that fallout.
Just human nature, I suppose.

It takes a very grounded HC to admit his mistakes and move on. Clearly, Fisher wasn't grounded... he was very much a "players coach".

It seemed to me that there never was a system of checks and balances during the Fisher regime.

Snead either agreed with making that deal (which concerns me) or he was overruled. Hope it's the latter.

And I hope this regime is advanced enough to allow front office execs or other coaches to voice concerns )and they are heard and acted on when justified).

Carrying dead weight on a roster now-a-days is a recipe for failure.

Hate Bellichick for many things... but he definitely knows when to move on if a player is not performing to his standards. Luckily for the Patsies, he seems to know what he's doing... if you don't (and have that power), you end up like the 2016 Rams.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
One guy who wasn't even at practice says he's running lazy routes and now we accept it as fact?

Dude was practicing with a soft tissue issue. If he was running lazy routes it would have been reported by someone credible

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
His cap hit this year is $15m and $8m next year.

As covered above the team that would trade for him would see $3.5M which is nothing.

nighttrain

Legend
Just human nature, I suppose.

It takes a very grounded HC to admit his mistakes and move on. Clearly, Fisher wasn't grounded... he was very much a "players coach".

Snead either agreed with making that deal (which concerns me) or he was overruled. Hope it's the latter.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things:mrburnsevil:
train

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One guy who wasn't even at practice says he's running lazy routes and now we accept it as fact?

Dude was practicing with a soft tissue issue. If he was running lazy routes it would have been reported by someone credible

I didn't want to turn this into a Tavon bashing thread. My intent was a football business discussion.

But for the record when I say he's not a fit, or that he runs lazy routes, or that he flubs passes with his poor hands, it's based on film I have seen of him for multiple seasons now.

At this point I don't know if he's going to be an impact guy for us under McVay. Just observing that if the staff--which is going to keep this kind of stuff tight to the vest--isn't impressed by him in this camp they should move him now while he still has value.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Prefer to wait and see how he performs in the regular season, it's difficult to determine a player's worth when the system he played under for 4 years is a joke. I expect Austin to perform slightly above or below contract value this season barring any lingering issues with that injury

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
As it stands right now he is overpaid, but there are undoubtedly teams around the league that would love to add him to their offense regardless.

So why wouldn't the Rams just keep him? If the issue is the contract (which I think is ridiculous that fans worry so much about them), there's ways around that. Besides, they would have to pay him regardless i.e. dead money if he was traded.

I've said it before, I'm not a fan of trading players that produce. Be honest though, who on this team right now has the quick scoring ability that Tavon does?

Robert Woods? He seems like the possession type guy.

Pharaoh Cooper/Mike Thomas/Nelson Spruce? 2nd year guys that haven't really shown much (aside from in practice....practice!). And one of them is suspended.

Cooper Kupp/Josh Reyonlds? Rookies.

Rams' WRs seem to all have roles, and Tavon is no different.

I really don't get it. Really, I don't. The internet fans have been screeching for an offensive minded coach to improve an offense that struggles, get their wish with Sean McVay, then turn around and clamor for the ONE guy that has multiple play making abilities to be traded? And for a thing no fan has 100% details of nor any control over.

Unnecessary dramatic what-if scenarios.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think that TA will be here until the end of the 2018 season. There will be no Dead $$ involved in the release of TA when the 2018 season concludes.

I would expect if TA continues to be mediocre in the passing game & I do ....that McVay's emphasis be redirected towards being involved more & more in the backfield & utilized as a change of pace back from Gurley. Let this new batch of ball catchers like Woods/Kupp/Reynolds/Spruce/Everett/Higbee take over the passing game.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
For the 3.5m they owe him for this year if he can't get the hang of the offense just let him be the return man. He's decent at that.
Problems with trading him now is may teams are up against the cap so it would be trading cap for cap and do the Rams really want that player. Trade for picks? His contract going forward is a stumbling block. Best Rams are getting back is a late rounder and they may even have to throw in a pick to get that, plus does the new team really want the headache of trying to utilize him.

The problem with TA isn't all his fault. Since they drafted him till this year all we heard was Were getting him the ball more, focus of the offense, creating new plays for him blah, blah, blah. And what happened the offense suffered.
He should have been made to hone his craft and earn the right to play.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I think that TA will be here until the end of the 2018 season. There will be no Dead $$ involved in the release of TA when the 2018 season concludes.

I would expect if TA continues to be mediocre in the passing game & I do ....that McVay's emphasis be redirected towards being involved more & more in the backfield & utilized as a change of pace back from Gurley. Let this new batch of ball catchers like Woods/Kupp/Reynolds/Spruce/Everett/Higbee take over the passing game.
Sorry but I got to ask. Why would you give a mediocre player a roster spot if it could keep a better player off the team?
Dead cap is a sunk cost, that money is gone.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Not to argue anyone's personal opinion but if you look at the yards or more importantly TOTAL TD's he scored since he arrived there's not one player on this team that's even close to him. I still don't get why so many want to bail on the most explosive player we have or have had since the GSOT days. Is he overpaid? Yeah I agree with that but he's been in the most vanilla and predictable offenses with no real QB to be afraid of.
I'd at least like to see what he can do in a real NFL offense before giving up.
He's never going to be a #1 like Green, Brown, etc. But I'd bet my ass if he was playing in New England we'd all be singing a different tune.

EDIT- Just cuz I wanted to see, he has 23 TD's since 2013 rushing and receiving. That doesn't count PR's or hell how many have been called back due to penalties.
There isn't one person on this roster that can duplicate that..IMO..

Last edited:

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Not to argue anyone's personal opinion but if you look at the yards or more importantly TOTAL TD's he scored since he arrived there's not one player on this team that's even close to him. I still don't get why so many want to bail on the most explosive player we have or have had since the GSOT days. Is he overpaid? Yeah I agree with that but he's been in the most vanilla and predictable offenses with no real QB to be afraid of.
I'd at least like to see what he can do in a real NFL offense before giving up.
He's never going to be a #1 like Green, Brown, etc. But I'd bet my ass if he was playing in New England we'd all be singing a different tune.

EDIT- Just cuz I wanted to see, he has 23 TD's since 2013 rushing and receiving. That doesn't count PR's or hell how many have been called back due to penalties.
There isn't one person on this roster that can duplicate that..IMO..

I take his stats with grain of salt...He's been force fed the ball (carries and catches) and managed one season (out of 4 so far) where he scored a combined 10 TDS...he had one good season so far and hes entering his 5th season...He's been an absolute flop at WR so far, that is undeniable...

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I take his stats with grain of salt...He's been force fed the ball (carries and catches) and managed one season (out of 4 so far) where he scored a combined 10 TDS...he had one good season so far and hes entering his 5th season...He's been an absolute flop at WR so far, that is undeniable...

Personally I don't have time for inconsistancies. And you are right his statline is a roller coaster. Quite frankly I dont think these recent injuries are going to serve him any justice to prove otherwise that he is a consistent goto guy.

WvuIN02

Starter
Run down the amazing OCs and coaches he has had so far. Please do us a favor and run through all those prolific offenses under Fishers 20 some years. I'll wait.

Rams offense has been 100% hot garbage. Let's see what happens with coaches who actually belong coaching offense past high school.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
I certainly would not be heart broken to learn that TA was traded.

I'll never understand why we did not run TA on jet sweeps as opposing defenses were focused on, and effectively shutting down, Gurley.

Let's see where we are at the midpoint of the season and how this staff intends to deploy TA.

We already gave away Grob and WHayes (whom we could really use now with Easly's injury).