IF Tavon doesn't impress this camp NOW is the time to trade him

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Before someone gets all butt hurt that I'm bagging on Tavon here, don't. I don't know what the staff really thinks of him right now. They might think he's a star in waiting. They might think he's never going to become the deep threat they need. Or anywhere in between. But what is important right now is that IF they're not impressed with him they should move him while he still has value. Otherwise they're going to face a situation where the league will devalue him in terms of trade.

As it stands right now he is overpaid, but there are undoubtedly teams around the league that would love to add him to their offense regardless. And if the Rams were to move him, when it comes down to the compensation they could eat part of his contract this year to sweeten the deal if necessary.

Obviously you're not going to get crazy value for Tavon. But if the staff feels like he's not a fit, which is very possible at this juncture based on his history of lazy routes in an offense that requires precision, now is the time to move him.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Not sure what we'd get for him in a trade and can we handle the accelerated cap hit this year? If we only could get a late round pick, isn't it better to keep him for the year and look to trade/cut next year?

tbux

Rookie
OR.......... maybe in a better offense, he shines??? hmmmm just a thought.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't think he necessarily has to impress in camp. But he does need to contribute more during the season than he has so far.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Rams are pot committed on him now. I doubt you get value for him with that contract - lets see what he does in this system.

Ram65

Legend
I disagree. The Rams have to be all in with Tavon this year, They are financially committed. Even next year they have a 5 Million cap hit as roster bonus. They could eat that and trade him and save 3 Million. He would be worth the 3 Million as a gadget guy. I still like his chances to get back to 2015 production and more. They just have to run him some deep patterns along with the rest that he does.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I disagree. The Rams have to be all in with Tavon this year, They are financially committed. Even next year they have a 5 Million cap hit as roster bonus. They could eat that and trade him and save 3 Million. He would be worth the 3 Million as a gadget guy. I still like his chances to get back to 2015 production and more. They just have to run him some deep patterns along with the rest that he does.

If he doesn't have impact for them this season he's gone next year regardless.

The Rams need to stop thinking like the old Rams. Look ahead and if you don't project him to be a major part of what you're doing, take a page from Belichick's handbook and get what you can for him now. It ain't gonna be a round one pick, but if you don't project him to be an impact guy for you and/or he's a non-fit something is better than nothing.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Trade???

Naw man, resurrect his value....and maybe even keep him....it's too late to trade guys....

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who the hell wants to take on his laughable contract?
I think that's the issue right now.

Best thing we can hope for is that the new staff figures out how to make him more productive as a receiver.

Can't imagine anyone taking a flyer on him based on what he's produced thus far in his career.

When I read what they did for him, I was flabbergasted.
Austin.png

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I see Merlin's point.

It's not about the cap. In fact Merlin says that we would have to eat some of Tavon's '17 contract year if we hope to offload him. Millions, in fact, although it's already budgeted in his contract cap effect, isn't it?

It's more about saving that valuable roster spot for a WR that DOES look like he might fit well in this new McVay O. Assuming that the staff comes to the conclusion that Tavon does not.

Makes sense to me, if all the tumblers fall into place.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When I read what they did for him, I was flabbergasted.

No doubt. It's also one of the factors in why Fish was fired, their inability to project his production just like with Foles or Bradford or virtually anyone on offense. When a staff pushes for certain players to be retained and get what they want, but then the players tank or otherwise don't live up to it, it's a big black eye for all and the head coach gets to eat that fallout.

But yeah that contract. That one move really made the entire org look stupid. Which is why I suggested the above IF we don't see something the staff loves from him this year in camp.

Zodi

Hall of Fame

Other teams know this, too. Why then take on his contract this year? If he performs, he wont be available. If he doesn't, he'll be available, and a helluva lot cheaper-- even in a FA bidding war.

Ram65

Legend
And if the Rams were to move him, when it comes down to the compensation they could eat part of his contract this year to sweeten the deal if necessary.

Don't see it.

The Rams need to stop thinking like the old Rams. Look ahead and if you don't project him to be a major part of what you're doing, take a page from Belichick's handbook and get what you can for him now. It ain't gonna be a round one pick, but if you don't project him to be an impact guy for you and/or he's a non-fit something is better than nothing.

I guess impact can mean different things to different posters. It's hard to understand a blanket statement of "impact". What are we looking at 6-8-10-12 TD's? Top 10 punt returner? More runs with a 7.7 YPCA?

I understand the Belicheat stuff. This is a little different. Unlike, Mr Bill the Rams made the commitment already. It's not the same as if they hadn't given him the new deal and traded him or let him walk. Next year his payout is 8 Million. If Tavon has a really bad year this year he could be gone. Sure that's possible. One more year at 8 million and then decide seems more likely.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Before someone gets all butt hurt that I'm bagging on Tavon here, don't. I don't know what the staff really thinks of him right now. They might think he's a star in waiting. They might think he's never going to become the deep threat they need. Or anywhere in between. But what is important right now is that IF they're not impressed with him they should move him while he still has value. Otherwise they're going to face a situation where the league will devalue him in terms of trade.

As it stands right now he is overpaid, but there are undoubtedly teams around the league that would love to add him to their offense regardless. And if the Rams were to move him, when it comes down to the compensation they could eat part of his contract this year to sweeten the deal if necessary.

Obviously you're not going to get crazy value for Tavon. But if the staff feels like he's not a fit, which is very possible at this juncture based on his history of lazy routes in an offense that requires precision, now is the time to move him.
At this point I'm on Tavon's side! So far in camp I have seen film of him running through a crowd and gaining big yardage, so I think he's going to be much better under McVay and Companies Leadership!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Other teams know this, too. Why then take on his contract this year?

Because his cap hit this year isn't too bad, but they can walk from it next year. And that team would probably be an established offense that wants another weapon.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Because his cap hit this year isn't too bad, but they can walk from it next year. And that team would probably be an established offense that wants another weapon.

His cap hit this year is $15m and $8m next year.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This guy would have the most punt returns for touchdowns in the history of the team if it wasn't for all the call backs. He had a touchdown run called back last year like a 45 yard run. His production and his numbers would look a lot better without all the stupid penalties. Yeah he had a down year last year but so did the entire offense. It's only 2 guys on that offense that defensive coordinators have to account for and that Gurley and Austin