If Sportrac is correct, then the Woods contract makes me love this move even more.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea, for all the hoopla, the Woods contract is extremely team-friendly. We can bail after this year with only $3 million in dead money, and we're only paying him $6.8 million per year. That's average #2 WR money.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yup it's a great deal. I seem to remember a few people telling everybody to calm down until we saw the details and here we have them and they're very friendly for the team.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My guess is the Rams are hoping to target a WR early in the draft.

While rookie WR's are almost always slower than other positions to mature at this level... I think that was the strategy all along with Woods. The Rams see him as a good fit for what they want as part of a WR corp.

His contract isnt the big overspend we hear about if it all works out.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
It's a great deal for Woods too. He has gotten a huge pay raise and as long as he does what he was brought in to do, he is a bargain for us but yet a huge pay upgrade over the previous yrs of his career. Great deal for both sides. I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised with his signing. Yes, he is a #2 WR. But if we can add a guy who can stretch the field/defense a bit Woods is going to be a great #2 guy. What I like as well is he is a mature, hard working guy. If they can bring Isaac and/or Torry in again to work with these guys, I think Woods would help set the example of how to be coached and apply it onto the field. I think under the guys earlier .. .we might of had guys take the "meh" approach about learning from a professional on how to do your job.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
In 2019, there's a cap hit of 5 million, no dead money, so a savings of 5 mil (same net savings in 2018 but a dead money hit of 3 mil).

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In 2019, there's a cap hit of 5 million, no dead money, so a savings of 5 mil (same net savings in 2018 but a dead money hit of 3 mil).
Yes, if he doesn't perform to expectations of McVay it's basically a 2 year $15 contract.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yes, if he doesn't perform to expectations of McVay it's basically a 2 year $15 contract.

What happens if he gets injured ??

He is already working out with Jared Goff. There is going to be a goood connection there.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What happens if he gets injured ??

He is already working out with Jared Goff. There is going to be a goood connection there.
From the read of it there is no injury escalator or guarantee so the contract would remain the same.

Ram65

Legend
I liked the deal because it is a 5 year deal for a 25/26 year old wide receiver that has NFL experience. The money is reasonable and the terms give the Rams flexibility. My guess is Woods will play out the contract but, it's nice to know they have inexpensive outs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My guess is the Rams are hoping to target a WR early in the draft.

While rookie WR's are almost always slower than other positions to mature at this level... I think that was the strategy all along with Woods. The Rams see him as a good fit for what they want as part of a WR corp.

His contract isnt the big overspend we hear about if it all works out.

Yeah I'd agree there's probably a guy they are willing to take in each round against the greater defensive value. 37 is going to be the toughest position to do that, but the need is pretty bad for a guy who can play split end. Woods is not any sort of long term answer there. He's going to help us and take the edge off the need in the draft, that's about it. So yeah no doubt we've got a reach for a wideout ahead of us in this draft just a matter of when.

Guys I want are Godwin in round 2 (won't last until round 3) and Ford in round 3 (doubt he makes it to round 4). They both played split end (X) in lots of snaps and are dependable route runners. I just hope Les has moved beyond the freakish-big-athlete-project types. If you're gonna reach for a wideout get a fit, someone who runs great routes and who can be expected to grow into a key role with us.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Another typical Demoff contract.

Brilliant cap management included.

We are so lucky to have this guy.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Another typical Demoff contract.

Brilliant cap management included.

We are so lucky to have this guy.

And that is going to get tested in the next couple of seasons. Aaron Donald is going to get over 100 million dollars with a lot of it guaranteed. If Jared Goff develops into a star, he'll get huge jack in his 2nd deal. It's a real job, managing the cap. It ain't easy and it gets tougher the better the team performs. But at that point, it's a nice problem to have.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Yea, for all the hoopla, the Woods contract is extremely team-friendly. We can bail after this year with only $3 million in dead money, and we're only paying him $6.8 million per year. That's average #2 WR money.

Another reason why Kevin Demoff gets overlooked and underappreciated by some Rams fans.

The dude knows his numbers and rarely backs the Rams in a corner for long term contract extensions even if the player might bite the team in the ass for a couple of seasons.

For all those that think Tavon Austin will fail in 2017 and was a ridiculous contract extension deal, Tavon is an easy cap casualty should he need to be released after the 2017 season.

I'm a big fan of Demoff with contracts and politics even when the player might not be worth the the ink signed on the dotted line. Kevin knows his SH!T... Is he perfect? no but he's a crafty negotiator.(n)

los-angeles-rams-two-teams-stadium.jpg

The-Negotiator-Logo-retina.png

Last edited:

BeefJurky

Rookie
I hope this guy balls out.
Seems like he is a good dude and a good fit.

Also people forget how hyped he was in college, and then he went from LA to cold ass Buffalo where they were dead last in the league in passing for the past 2 years.