If Rams' O doesn't improve, it won't be for lack of trying/FSMW

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The word that I would use referring to Fishers comments in the article is disingenuous.

We all know him by now. He is, by the book, old school and that means, you fix the defense first, because keeping the score low always gives you a chance to win. His very first move was predictably drafting a run stopper, since that was where the D was leaking the most. Then some corners because he had two stud DEs.

Fisher would have loved to draft OLine but he put band aids on it because he was more compelled to fix the defense, and as much as many of us wanted to see him draft Olinemen early and often, deep down we didn't expect it, and he knew he wouldn't. Fishers priorities are very clear.

Alan

Legend
Elmgrovegnome nailing it:
The word that I would use referring to Fishers comments in the article is disingenuous.

We all know him by now. He is, by the book, old school and that means, you fix the defense first, because keeping the score low always gives you a chance to win. His very first move was predictably drafting a run stopper, since that was where the D was leaking the most. Then some corners because he had two stud DEs.

Fisher would have loved to draft OLine but he put band aids on it because he was more compelled to fix the defense, and as much as many of us wanted to see him draft Olinemen early and often, deep down we didn't expect it, and he knew he wouldn't. Fishers priorities are very clear.
Exactly. Well said sir!(y)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I know is that had the Rams oline not been hit with injuries, they sure looked like they were on track. When they had the run game going with Zac Stacy and Clemens at the healm, they were pushing people around. Alas, long pops his knee twice, Saffold misses time, Wells never comes around etc. and the line implodes.
So they've tried the adding free agent route and that hasn't worked. So now it's going the build through the draft route.
I think it's a good article.
I don't think you need 5 studs to be successful on the oline. There are some good teams with some holes in their line (Seattle comes to mind) but what I do think is that if you take 2 or 3 starters off most lines they will fail.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yup... again, actions speak louder than words.

You get limited opportunities to improve your team each year... cap dictates how many FAs you can sign (and how highly regarded they are)... draft has limited opportunities.

So, each HC (and GM) make their decisions based on their beliefs.... how they want to improve their team this year.

I'm getting repetitive (sorry) but, with Fisher, actions speak louder than words.

He can talk all he wants... it's white noise to me now.

His actions have told me that defense is, first and foremost, most important in his eyes.

Running back seems to be important to him.

Past that, it seems to be more of "we'll get to those positions once we make sure the defense and RB are square".

They are now... and so here came a horde of Olinemen in the draft.

So, I think it is disingenuois for him to say that anything other than defense and RB were a priority to him. His actions contradict those words.

I'm like a lot of you... I really don't care about the order in which his playoff team is built... just that it's a playoff team.

It's time now... all his efforts, regardless of their order, need to pay off this year... I'm expecting playoffs!!

Who's with me?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

I agree and I have no complaints about how they went about the rebuilding of this team, it seems very well laid out and coming together nicely. I just hate it when they come out saying stuff like this instead of being honest about their process.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Trying, and not being successful, for whatever reasons, are two completely different things. We signed some big time OL free agents, and they didn't succeed. We are now trying to build the line through the draft, and we don't know if that will succeed. What is clear to me, is that we have tried to improve this OL every year, but that isn't exclusive to trying to build the rest of the roster also. We needed a lot of parts. We will need more parts.

Let us all hope for the best, and pray that our current offensive line, will improve, develop, and stay healthy. We all know the importance of a good, deep OL. I'm sure that Snead, Fisher, and the rest of the coaches, and decision makers, know as well. We are using the shotgun approach this year, because what we did before didn't work. I admire a staff willing to dedicate, almost a whole draft, to one unit to try to make it better. Obviously, we can't do this every year, so this is to the football Gods, Please, let a couple of these guys pan out". Thordaddy, you listening? Give us a little nudge.

bill.gif

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend
if i remember correctly SB was a big reason Fisher signed on to coach the Rams instead of Miami, unfortunately Sam could not stay healthy. Point being it's not Fisher;s fault about SB
train