If Rams' O doesn't improve, it won't be for lack of trying/FSMW

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
If Rams' offense doesn't improve, it won't be for lack of trying
By Elisabeth Meinecke
FOX Sports Midwest

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...improve-it-won-t-be-for-lack-of-trying-060215

Quarterback Nick Foles and running back Todd Gurley are the two most prominent offseason additions to the Rams' offense.

ST. LOUIS -- At some point, this had to change.

At the beginning of this offseason, the St. Louis Rams looked in danger of becoming three-peat champs as the bottom dwellers of a very tough NFC West division. With the Seattle and San Francisco defenses finishing top five in the league over the past two years, it's no place for a weak offense, which is exactly what the Rams had. Their offensive statistics ranged from poor to very bad, some of it through circumstances out of their control -- when your intended franchise-changing quarterback logs a total of seven games out of 32 due to injury, things probably won't go according to plan.

So, this offseason, the Rams made a different one.

Some of it seemed by chance; they found themselves looking for an offensive coordinator after Brian Schottenheimer left, and their subsequent decision to promote from within left the team with a domino effect that resulted in several key staff changes. Other movement, however, appeared more calculated -- from the quarterback position to the overhaul of the offensive line.

The most recent change was the addition of former NFL quarterback Jeff Garcia to the coaching staff, where he'll work as an offensive assistant. He had interviewed for the quarterbacks coach job earlier this year after it was vacated by Frank Cignetti's promotion to offensive coordinator, but lost out to Chris Weinke. Rams coach Jeff Fisher was impressed enough, however, that he kept Garcia around.

"I just felt like Jeff was going to be an outstanding coach. He just has that 'it' factor," Fisher says. "He's working with the receivers right now. He's helping Coach Sherman with the receivers."

Garcia's hiring is one of at least six major moves the Rams have made on that side of the ball since their season ended. In addition to Cignetti, Weinke and Garcia on the coaching side, the Rams traded starting quarterbacks with Philadelphia, drafted four offensive linemen in the second through sixth rounds of the 2015 NFL Draft, and used their first pick on game-changing running back Todd Gurley, who's rehabbing his ACL. If there seems to be a motto for the team headed into the 2015 season, it's go big or go home -- literally on the go big part, considering they drafted 1,272 pounds of offensive linemen this spring.

Of all the player moves, the Sam Bradford-for-Nick Foles swap at quarterback might provide the most immediate impact, since there's no guarantee when Gurley will step on the field. Fisher credits the quarterbacks who have stepped in during Bradford's injury-plagued seasons (there have been plenty, both seasons and quarterbacks), but appears excited the Foles solution actually has long-term potential.

"I think we've settled into 'the guy,'" Fisher says. "We have somebody that can be special at the position, so it's exciting for us to know that I've got an offense that will be built around his talent level."

If Foles can return to his 2013 form, where he had a 119.2 quarterback rating over 13 games, and Gurley is able to join the team in the backfield, the Rams will be spoiled for choice in their offensive options -- especially if their first-round pick from two years ago, wide receiver Tavon Austin, can find his groove.

Then again, it's hard to argue the team's biggest moves this offseason were skill players, considering the state of the offensive line before the draft at April's end. They basically had a left tackle and a left guard, and a likely starting center with only four games of NFL experience. Credit Fisher and general manager Les Snead for addressing the problem in the draft, though it's scary it ever got that bad to begin with. They drafted several promising linemen, including a second-rounder, Rob Havenstein, and third-rounder Jamon Brown, both of whom could start this season.

"We felt if we got Todd, then we could do what I've been wanting to do since we got here, and that is just go get offensive linemen," Fisher says. "I wanted to build the offensive line (from the beginning). You build your team inside out. And we wanted to build, but there were too many other holes. There were too many other needs. And so we filled those."

Now, if the Rams have finally fixed that line, it could go a long way toward solving plenty of their interwoven problems -- like the fact that their quarterbacks can't stay healthy (opposing teams registered 93 hits on them last year, and the line allowed the eighth-most sacks in the league), and that their run game was 20th in the league in total yards.

Or if the problems aren't fixed, whether by rookie learning curves or misjudged potential, and the Rams' offense flames out again this year, at least they'll have gone down swinging. Already with a defense that could give even Napoleon nightmares, they've at least put together a roster on the other side of the ball that, if nothing else, gives them a breather after ranking 25th last year in time of possession per game.

"We looked at last year, immediately after the season, and felt like, 'OK, this is what we need to do,'" Fisher says.

Mission partially accomplished.

nighttrain

Legend
I feel very good about what was accomplished in the off season, Should have a great RB with the big uglies in front of him to create running room, which leads to the play action pass. With our D, we should be in every game.
train

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
She writes a good article. Seems to closely follow the Rams/NFL.
And she looks like this.

vm38DrQQ.jpg

That's a good combo.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
"We felt if we got Todd, then we could do what I've been wanting to do since we got here, and that is just go get offensive linemen," Fisher says. "I wanted to build the offensive line (from the beginning). You build your team inside out. And we wanted to build, but there were too many other holes. There were too many other needs. And so we filled those."

I can't wait to see Fisher's true vision of the Rams. We've seen how the D-line has developed, and this draft is an indicator of what Fisher wants the future O-line to become. Hopefully, we do not have any setbacks, and our team develops into the archetype of smash-mouth football.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
She writes a good article. Seems to closely follow the Rams/NFL.
And she looks like this.

vm38DrQQ.jpg

That's a good combo.
Agree. That was a very good article.
It looks like the Garcias' "scope of work" is much clearer. It's good to see they will utilize him wherever needed.

Alan

Legend
"We felt if we got Todd, then we could do what I've been wanting to do since we got here, and that is just go get offensive linemen," Fisher says. "
Had me fooled.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I can't wait to see Fisher's true vision of the Rams. We've seen how the D-line has developed, and this draft is an indicator of what Fisher wants the future O-line to become. Hopefully, we do not have any setbacks, and our team develops into the archetype of smash-mouth football.

If you look at what Fisher said,& saw the draft last year.I believe you get an understanding of The Rams future.
My take is ---Greg Robinson was the key to The draft last year,& a cornerstone of Offense.(year before T.Austin S/T playmaker).Then add the signing of Roger Saffold,& The Rams knowing about his injury.Like the lady said LG,LT.
Well then The Rams went DT which was there on original pick.Then it was just load up on all DB's........
I think The Rams really set themselves up nice on the backend on defense.Special teams,depth,& the leaders will be there.I know as much as any Ram fan the tough lumps they have had on huge missed assignments.That has a lot to do with Greg Williams trusting them though.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Had me fooled.
At what point did he have you fooled ??
First Free agent signing was All/Pro Scott Wells.The next year was Jake Long.Then he resigned Roger Saffold & drafted Greg Robinson number 2 in the 2014 draft.He was going to draft rookie All/Pro Zach Martin,but went with rookie All/Pro Aaron Donald.
The draft before was going to draft Warford(draft OG from Kentucky),but needed a LBer bad.Fisher is still kicking himself on missing out on Bobby Wagner for Pead,but went with The RB which The Rams needed.
Pead & Donald were both Senior Bowl Standouts.Pead on MVP of the 2012 game.He looked like a special teams standout.Those kids from Cinncy (ie Mardy Gilyard)have to miss the first part of rookie training.That puts them behind,& add pressure to catch up.
----Ram fans have a right to there opinion,but most really don't see the big picture of what is being built.
---Truth be told this Rob Have guy is another solid senior bowl guy.You put on the tape & he is what you look for in a RT. Big,long arms,loves the game,mauler,learner,& gets of the ball,squares....He is not good at all of changing direction.He is slow,but makes it to the 2nd level.Has a feel for the game though,& will Nudge at rt time.
---Javon Brown was my sleeper pick.The Rams added depth by numbers & created competition which is what any team wants.
---Barnes has shown he can handle the C position,but Rhaney & Jones are unknowns to Rams fans(injuries) that only the coaching staff really knows.
--Richardson 7th rd,Stacey 5th rd,Tre Mason 3rd rd,Gurley 1st rd.. The picture I get from Jeff Fisher is each year he has always tried to get better at RB through the draft.
---Benny was a wonderful find.He will be a solid KR guy as well.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Truth be told this Rob Have guy is another solid senior bowl guy.You put on the tape & he is what you look for in a RT. Big,long arms,loves the game,mauler,learner,& gets of the ball,squares....He is not good at all of changing direction.He is slow,but makes it to the 2nd level.Has a feel for the game though,& will Nudge at rt time.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Until this 2015 draft You could have not made this statement "If Rams' O doesn't improve, it won't be for lack of trying".

But now if you review what Fisher has done since his arrival through the primary plan of the draft:

QB- Mannion
RB- Gurley/Mason/Pead
FB- Vacant
TE- Vacant
WR- Austin/Givens
WR- Quick/Bailey/Sasser
OLT- Robinson
OLG- Brown
OC- Jones/Rhaney
ORG- Wichmann
ORT- Havenstein/Donnal

Then the secondary & other ways to build through UDFA/Trades & Free Agency:

QB-Foles/Keenum/Davis
RB-Cunningham/Watts/Brown/Reynolds/Franks
FB-Laskey/Smelley
TE-Bayer/Cunningham/Cook/Kendricks/Harkey
WR-Britt
OT-Williams
OLG-Saffold/Washington
OC-Wang/Barnes
ORG-Bond
ORT-Reynolds/Baker

Alan

Legend
So Ram wanting my timeline:
At what point did he have you fooled ??

First Free agent signing was All/Pro Scott Wells.The next year was Jake Long.Then he resigned Roger Saffold & drafted Greg Robinson number 2 in the 2014 draft.He was going to draft rookie All/Pro Zach Martin,but went with rookie All/Pro Aaron Donald.
The draft before was going to draft Warford(draft OG from Kentucky),but needed a LBer bad.
Year one of the Snisher regime.

I'm not going to comment on any wanna, shoulda, coulda moves they didn't make but I will address the moves they did make.

I and others have been complaining about the state of the Rams O-line since 2011 and with, as it turns out, good reason. That would only be hindsight if we hadn't been complaining from the beginning.

First, let me just correct one error in your post. Fisher was never going to pick Martin instead of Donald, he was going to trade up to get Martin after we picked Donald.

The part of your post I bolded in purple helps make my point. LB (or almost any other position) had priority over the O-line despite the load of bull he tries to give us in the article. More on that later.

Here's a look at what we had going into each of Fishers seasons after his drafts:

2012 Depth chart with draft picks in Green:
LT Rodger Saffold, Quinn Ojinnaka, Ryan McKee
LG Bryan Mattison, Rokevious Watkins (5th round), Tim Barnes
C Scott WellsRobert, Turner, Bob Hebert
RG Harvey Dahl, Kevin Hughes
RT Jason Smith, Barry Richardson, Jose Valdez
(good beginning eh?:LOL:)

2013 Depth chart with draft picks in Green:
LT Jake Long,Joe Barksdale
LG Shelley Smith,Chris Williams
C Scott Wells,Tim BarnesBarrett Jones (4th round and injured)
RG Harvey Dahl,Brandon Washington,Ryan Lee
RT Roger Saffold, Ty Nsekhe, Graham Pocic

2014 Depth chart with draft picks in Green:
LT Jake Long Mike Person
LG Greg Robinson (2nd round), Barrett Jones, Brandon Washington
C Scott Wells, Tim Barnes, Demetrius Rhaney (7th Round)
RG Roger Saffold, Davin Joseph
RT Joe Barksdale, Mitchell Van Dyk (7th round)

So all that is great and makes my point about the huge need to address the O-line but I think you took my post out of context. Actually, I know you took my post out of context because you included all those FA moves which had nothing to do with my response. I was and am talking about what Fisher did/wanted to do in the draft/s. Trying to fill your holes with FAs and what Fisher did about that is a different conversation we can have later if you want. Here's what Fisher said when talking about what he wanted to do in this draft and prior drafts:

"We felt if we got Todd, then we could do what I've been wanting to do since we got here, and that is just go get offensive linemen," Fisher says." I wanted to build the offensive line (from the beginning). You build your team inside out. And we wanted to build, but there were too many other holes. There were too many other needs. And so we filled those."

I realize that the article I'm getting my quotes from also dealt with FA but that's why I only quoted what I did and didn't just make my response about the totality of what he (the writer) said.

One serious pick in three years. His last statement, "There were too many other needs. And so we filled those." belies that statement of his I quoted in my original reply and combined with "We felt if we got Todd" makes me just want to laugh about his dishonesty. It was only because we drafted Gurley that he felt we needed to seriously address our O-line? :ROFLMAO:

He says "You build your team inside out" and then immediately shows his true colors by saying "There were too many other needs. And so we filled those" tells you all you need to know about his drafting priorities. He could have tried to fill those other needs in FA but didn't.

So yeah, what a load of bullshit but perhaps I should have put my original reply in blue font. My bad.:LOL:

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I guess I don't really see where he was being blatantly dishonest. Most of what he said is true. They did need to fill other holes (lots of them across all 3 phases of the team), and he was wanting to build from the inside(s) out (that includes the D-line). Maybe he could have filled those other holes with free agents, but instead chose to use free agents on the line. Which only reinforces the point that you *build* from the inside out - you don't plug from the inside out. But maybe I'm just not looking at it with as much skepticism though. Because I don't understand what the motivation would be to deceive everyone.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the title of the article is accurate... it won't be for lack of trying.

And, maybe that's the scary part for me... they've been trying for three years and that line is still an unknown. Most of the things they've tried have not gone well.

The 2015 try? Throw young, very large kids at the problem.

All I can do is hope this try works out better than the other tries... or it'll be yet another sub.500 year and I'm not ready for that at my old age!!!

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.”
01-400x225.jpg

Alan

Legend
-X- not seeing what I saw:
Because I don't understand what the motivation would be to deceive everyone.
It's not my fault (our O-line sucks) is a normal reason for shading the truth isn't it? I'd go so far as to say it's the most common reason for telling small (as in not that important) lies.

I'm not reading and responding to what he said because I'm skeptical about everything he says (although I am), I'm just pointing out the inconsistencies in what he said in this article. Had his name been George Washington I'd have seen and said the same thing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's not my fault (our O-line sucks) is a normal reason for shading the truth isn't it? I'd go so far as to say it's the most common reason for telling small (as in not that important) lies.

I'm not reading and responding to what he said because I'm skeptical about everything he says (although I am), I'm just pointing out the inconsistencies in what he said in this article. Had his name been George Washington I'd have seen and said the same thing.
I don't think he denied ownership of that though. He just gave a reason why it wasn't fully and completely addressed as of yet. That's the way I read it anyway. Which goes hand-in-hand with his (and Snead's) stated philosophy that they rebuild *units* one at a time. They used the draft to build the receiving corps, used the draft to build up the D-line, used the draft to build the secondary, used the draft to build the special teams, and are now using the draft to build the O-line. Could it be you're just not a fan of the priority he assigned to each unit?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He says "You build your team inside out" and then immediately shows his true colors by saying "There were too many other needs. And so we filled those" tells you all you need to know about his drafting priorities. He could have tried to fill those other needs in FA but didn't.
As I look at your list, do you think Fisher/Snead believed, at ANY time, that Shelly Smith, Chris Williams, Joe Barksdale & Robert Turner could be turned into a cohesive starting unit? Did you believe those 4 players could have been successful? If the answer is yes, then perhaps Fisher is being somewhat honest, as in, he felt he WAS fixing the team from the inside-out, but was unsuccessful...And, since Shelly, Joe, and Chris (?) are still functioning in the league as starters, he wasn't totally off base. Looking back, I never thought those free agents were more than plugs...stop-gaps. Definitely not G-Rob types...and the attempt was foolhardy to fix such a major area in this fashion. I say this now, able to look back, because I feel 2nd & 3rd round is WHEN you seriously address the line...and it appears Fisher went with his scouts & Snead and continued to address other needs (WR, CB, RB, and all the other 2nd & 3rd round picks in 2012-1013)....And, with the trouble Sam had experienced up to that point (2012) with protection & injuries, it seems like a serious miscalculation. So, I basically agree with you, but I do leave a lil room for an honest mistake. Not an out & out LIE....
I will say this, honest mistakes will get ya fired....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Which goes hand-in-hand with his (and Snead's) stated philosophy that they rebuild *units* one at a time.
I do see them doubling down often....But if that is their SOP, why even consider, Martin & Warford in prior drafts? Or rather, why not grab Collins in this draft, since they were repairing the line, it seems, in 2015?