If I hear "vanilla" one more time...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
from what ive been reading about fisher, he seems to use the first few preseason games to make his decisions for who hes going to cut. i agree that the offense doesnt look spectacular, but i would watch the last preseason match vs baltimore to see a glimpse of what is in store.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
Stranger said:
DegenR(g)ambler said:
im going to shoot myself in the foot. When do we start opening it up a little bit? I understand that we dont want to give anything away and that we are playiing different players at different positions, after all it is the preseason. it just seems to me at some point you have open it up to truly prepare for week one and beyond. i mean, our first rd highly touted wr has had approx six balls thrown his way this preseason. is he getting the experience necessary to be ready for wk 1? im not a coach by any means and im just the rams personnel know what they are doing, its just getting a little frustrating. esp when i see andrew luck throwing two td passes in their last game and other teams putting points on the board etc.
I say we bust out all that stuff CoachO has been talking about in week 1, and NOT before. I'm getting my seatbelt ready for the regular season, as I think it's going to be very exciting.
I agree Stranger. I'm not worried about what they do in these "glorified practices". Pretty sure Fisher knows exactly what he's doing, and he'll open up the playbook when the time is right. Might even be this week. Sit back and enjoy.

GO RAMS!!!!

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Come out no huddle, all air raid and shyte, don't even hand the ball off. blitz the hell out of them till Mannings head falls off. 30 minutes of pain Freaking track meet. Let them gain plan for that upside.

Having them plan for what YOU could do is more destructive than planning for what you WILL do.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
DegenR(g)ambler said:
Angry Ram said:
DegenR(g)ambler said:
Angry Ram said:
I don't think 2 series in a preseason game where plays might not even be designed for him will really make a huge difference in the regular season.

Lance Kendricks had an amazing preseason as a rookie...didn't have a good season.

are you referring to ta? im kind of confused on what you are talking abt.

if so, its not just him. is givens only capable of catching the deep ball down the middle? are we afraid to show what jared cook brings to the table? sure both of these guys have had a decent preseason im just concerned if they dont start seeing more time are they physically going to be ready for wk 1?

and i think everyone is excited about this offense but the majority of it is based on potential only. i just want to see if they can score! which they seem to be struggling with...

Well yeah I was talking about Tavon Austin. But the same can apply to Chris Givens...2 series in a preseason game (or 4 total so far) isn't nearly as much as they do in training camp.

so what they do in camp translates to what they do on gameday in your opinion? again maybe im misunderstanding something but i dont see how you can really believe that.

CoachO already explained it better than I can...

A month or so getting countless reps learning the whole playbook vs. 2 series in a preseason game.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Make it a quadruple scope cone for me.

All 4 scopes VANILLA...

Thank You

F. Mulder

Starter
I get both "sides" of the discussion but what concerns me has nothing to do with game planning or anything like that; tackle people and block people. Those are the most basic things you can do and ask for. I've watched a lot of poor tackling and Toro blocking and scheme doesn't matter when you can't do that. Add to that a seemingly high number of pass drops.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Re: If I hear "vanilla" one more time...

F. Mulder said:
I get both "sides" of the discussion but what concerns me has nothing to do with game planning or anything like that; tackle people and block people. Those are the most basic things you can do and ask for. I've watched a lot of poor tackling and Toro blocking and scheme doesn't matter when you can't do that. Add to that a seemingly high number of pass drops.
That is why these games exist to get the rust off and fix these type issues before week 1. I believe way to much stock is placed in preseason games tis why i am not posting as much.

X I'll have to agree to disagree with your statement. What good does it to do that againt vanilla defense we really learn nothing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: If I hear

Rabid Ram said:
X I'll have to agree to disagree with your statement. What good does it to do that againt vanilla defense we really learn nothing.
Yeah, I'm not expecting to learn anything either. I just want to see it, and I want the players to gain the confidence that ONLY comes from scoring with ease - as they head into the season opener.

moklerman

Warner-phile
The only thing that worries me about considering the preseason just glorified practices is how Fisher's Titans seemed to take their preseason game against the Rams those years ago. I rarely watched the Titans so I don't know if they were just trying to make themselves feel better about losing the Super Bowl or if that's how they always played preseason games but they weren't taking things lightly.

With all the missed tackles and mental mistakes against GB last week, I admit that I am more concerned than before. I fear this team may be getting ahead of itself and believing the positive press coming into this year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
moklerman said:
The only thing that worries me about considering the preseason just glorified practices is how Fisher's Titans seemed to take their preseason game against the Rams those years ago. I rarely watched the Titans so I don't know if they were just trying to make themselves feel better about losing the Super Bowl or if that's how they always played preseason games but they weren't taking things lightly.

With all the missed tackles and mental mistakes against GB last week, I admit that I am more concerned than before. I fear this team may be getting ahead of itself and believing the positive press coming into this year.

Best.... Sig.... Eva

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Some thoughts;

1) Yes this is an experienced staff and they deserve our trust.

2) I'm not sure I buy into the logic this team can "flip the switch" and go. We're too young for that.

3) Being a young team, a part of preseason is about building confidence. So far, I don't see much confidence building outside of Bradford, Richardson, and Givens. The vets don't need it, but the young guys do, IMO.

4) While I suspect we're holding some things back, I do not buy into the theory we have a bag of tricks waiting to explode on the NFL. I hope they prove me wrong.

iced

CGI_Ram said:
4) While I suspect we're holding some things back, I do not buy into the theory we have a bag of tricks waiting to explode on the NFL. I hope they prove me wrong.

At what point did anyone last pre-season believe our D-line was going to dominate in the fashion in which it did.

Same thing about the rest of the players on defense - that D-line may have accounted for a lot of sacks..but keep in mind - it was the scheming that put the talented players in the right position to excel..the overloads, the one on one match ups... You don't see us bringing all our guys to the line with the intent of getting after the QB right now like we did in the regular season. Having a talented d-line helped us get to the QB, but the scheming combined with the d-line made us the best pass rush in the league

same philosophy on defense applies to the offense...tip our hand now, and we give the cardinals something to prepare for.

Remember last year in Seattle when Sam went into the Gun with SJ to his left and Pead to his right? Seattle had never seen that formation before, and it sure looked like it was going to end up in a big play in our favor because Carroll panicked, ran down the sideline and called a time out... this was in the 2nd half too, so that time out could have crucial.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
iced said:
CGI_Ram said:

At what point did anyone last pre-season believe our D-line was going to dominate in the fashion in which it did.

Same thing about the rest of the players on defense - that D-line may have accounted for a lot of sacks..but keep in mind - it was the scheming that put the talented players in the right position to excel..the overloads, the one on one match ups... You don't see us bringing all our guys to the line with the intent of getting after the QB.

same philosophy on defense applies to the offense...tip our hand now, and we give the cardinals something to prepare for.

Remember last year in Seattle when Sam went into the Gun with SJ to his left and Pead to his right? Seattle had never seen that formation before, and it sure looked like it was going to end up in a big play in our favor because Carroll panicked, ran down the sideline and called a time out... this was in the 2nd half too, so that time out could have crucial.

I hear ya. I get what you are saying.

In the piece you quoted; I am just not sold there is a bag of tricks we "are holding back". I just don't think it's that simple.

Again; I hope I'm wrong.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
CGI_Ram said:
Some thoughts;

2) I'm not sure I buy into the logic this team can "flip the switch" and go. We're too young for that.

3) Being a young team, a part of preseason is about building confidence. So far, I don't see much confidence building outside of Bradford, Richardson, and Givens. The vets don't need it, but the young guys do, IMO.

As usual you and i are on the same page,CGI.

I think some fans are going to be disappointed early on with the offense if they're expecting fireworks and flashy playcalling all of a sudden.

Hell,i'll be over-fucking-joyed if this offense does just three things better than we've seen in recent years...blocking people,catching the damn ball and scoring more points. :lol:

I dont care how they do it.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Well, could we have some strawberry at least?

tonyl711

Starter
they are trying different combinations at WR and RB with the first string, trying to find out who will be starting and who will be good depth, that reason alone is enough to not get too complicated. we have a very young team and they need to learn the basics first. Fisher knows these younger guys aren't going to play like veterans so he is getting them used to the speed of the game and letting them get a feel for playing in the NFL.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I think it's just silly not to practice the stuff you're going to do in the regular season. Practice is hugely different than a game and once you play your first regular season game the cats out of the bag anyway.

Silly.

I'm ambivalent about it.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I am more than OK with what we are showing. You guys can even even say that I told you so, if we don't click off of the jump. But will that be accurate? This is a super young team, and we will have our screw ups, but nobody can tell me that the circumstances on any given play will be the same as any other play.

I choose to trust the coaches and their philosophy as far as this goes, and maybe we can break off some huge plays that might win us a game or two, because nobody can gameplan against them.

Further, I will cross my fingers that we can go into the regular season healthy, because, in part, our staff didn't push us too far in the preseason.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
CGI_Ram said:
Some thoughts;

[hilite]2) I'm not sure I buy into the logic this team can "flip the switch" and go. We're too young for that[/hilite].

It's time to open up the pre-season a little

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Well I'm guessing you won't like this article from the Associated Press:

ST. LOUIS (AP) Jeff Fisher is determined to keep everyone guessing for the rest of the preseason.

So you can expect the St. Louis Rams coach to bring out two more conservative game plans in the last preseason games.

"We've got a regular season we're concerned about," Fisher said. "We're throwing it and we're handing it off.

"It's just I'd like to think we'd be a little more creative when the season starts."

Quarterback Sam Bradford has raved about his comfort level working with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer for the second straight season.

But on game day, rookie wide receiver Tavon Austin has yet to show his breakaway capability. Tight end Jared Cook, the other major skill upgrade on offense, has one big catch.

There has not been a lot of pump-faking and misdirection on offense, nor much blitzing on defense.

"We've got a lot of things we haven't really brought out, and I'm excited for when we do bring it out," rookie wide receiver Stedman Bailey said.

"We've got some great plays to get guys the ball, but for right now we're sticking with the script."

So far, they've been working on their own game and facing teams adding elements at their own pace. Fisher said both opponents thus far have had more in their game plans.

"You go against a defense like Green Bay and you haven't really watched too much of them, you're not really prepared for them, you don't really know what plays are coming," middle linebacker James Laurinaitis said.

This week, at least they'll scout Denver. Fisher said it wouldn't be a "full-blown game plan," but that coaches would add elements that would "give them a chance."

"It will be a better telltale sign," Laurinaitis said. "But they're doing the same stuff, vanilla things."

Of course, the Rams need to demonstrate they're proficient at the basic strategy.

Last week's 19-7 loss to the Packers was marred by mistakes, blown opportunities and missed tackles, leaving such a sour taste that Fisher scheduled wind sprints after Monday's practice as a "reward."

They were 1 for 14 on third down conversions and had nine penalties for 52 yards, many of them for simply lining up incorrectly.

"Every time we have penalties, we run for the penalties," said defensive end Chris Long, who was whistled twice. "And then we do a little conditioning, too.

"It's just accountability. We need to set some sort of a standard."

Improving the tackling is tougher. The Rams had some spirited hitting minus the finishing touch Tuesday, and Cook lost his helmet in one of the skirmishes.

Fisher thought a bit of heat in what's been a very mild summer may have been a factor. The high temperature was 89 degrees.

"Occasionally in camp, those things happen," Fisher said. "Today it got a little warm and that's what happens and that's good. We need to work through that."

Austin was an excused absence for the second straight day due to family issues. Bailey, Austin's former teammate at West Virginia, got more first-team snaps.

Offensive tackle Rodger Saffold expects to return to practice soon after missing last week after dislocating his left shoulder on his second snap. He wasn't sure if he'd be ready for this week's game.

Saffold moved to right tackle after the Rams signed free agent Jake Long. He made 35 starts at left tackle over three seasons.

"It was going great to that point," Saffold said. "I was happy the way things had been going."

Competition remains at left guard, with Shelley Smith and Chris Williams alternating starts. Fisher hasn't decided on a backup quarterback between Austin Davis and Kellen Clemens. Clemens, the backup last season, has thrown two interceptions in both games.

"We've got a lot of really unusual, competitive races for backup spots," Fisher said. "Those are the ones that probably don't get the attention."