If I hear "vanilla" one more time...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
im going to shoot myself in the foot. When do we start opening it up a little bit? I understand that we dont want to give anything away and that we are playiing different players at different positions, after all it is the preseason. it just seems to me at some point you have open it up to truly prepare for week one and beyond. i mean, our first rd highly touted wr has had approx six balls thrown his way this preseason. is he getting the experience necessary to be ready for wk 1? im not a coach by any means and im just the rams personnel know what they are doing, its just getting a little frustrating. esp when i see andrew luck throwing two td passes in their last game and other teams putting points on the board etc.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: If I hear "vanilla" one more time...

I agree. Show your hand this week and next and work on the things you're actually going to run starting week one of the regular season. Don't worry about trying to surprise anyone. Make them line up and stop you.

There are at least three reps from SEA, SF and AZ at our practices I'm sure. They know who we have and what they can do. Dare them to stop us and Vanilla be damned.

JMO.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I don't think 2 series in a preseason game where plays might not even be designed for him will really make a huge difference in the regular season.

Lance Kendricks had an amazing preseason as a rookie...didn't have a good season.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Vanilla doesn't bother me. They did this same thing last season and what a turnaround that was.

Honestly, as a fan I'll criticize the coach based on his performance during games that count and I leave it up to the coach to actually know what needs to be practiced during preseason.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Angry Ram said:
I don't think 2 series in a preseason game where plays might not even be designed for him will really make a huge difference in the regular season.

Lance Kendricks had an amazing preseason as a rookie...didn't have a good season.

are you referring to ta? im kind of confused on what you are talking abt.

if so, its not just him. is givens only capable of catching the deep ball down the middle? are we afraid to show what jared cook brings to the table? sure both of these guys have had a decent preseason im just concerned if they dont start seeing more time are they physically going to be ready for wk 1?

and i think everyone is excited about this offense but the majority of it is based on potential only. i just want to see if they can score! which they seem to be struggling with...

Zaphod said:
Vanilla doesn't bother me. They did this same thing last season and what a turnaround that was.

Honestly, as a fan I'll criticize the coach based on his performance during games that count and I leave it up to the coach to actually know what needs to be practiced during preseason.

first, this is not last season! second, we are supposed to have this high powered offense but i havent seen much to say that they are. believe me i hope im wrong and that we put up 30 something in week 1. i just dont see how they are getting prepared to do that. and as i mentioned earlier im not the smartest football mind on the board for sure but this seems pretty basic to me.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
DegenR(g)ambler said:
Angry Ram said:

if so, its not just him. is givens only capable of catching the deep ball down the middle? are we afraid to show what jared cook brings to the table? sure both of these guys have had a decent preseason im just concerned if they dont start seeing more time are they physically going to be ready for wk 1?

and i think everyone is excited about this offense but the majority of it is based on potential only. i just want to see if they can score! which they seem to be struggling with...

Well yeah I was talking about Tavon Austin. But the same can apply to Chris Givens...2 series in a preseason game (or 4 total so far) isn't nearly as much as they do in training camp.

Angry Ram said:
DegenR(g)ambler said:
Angry Ram said:

Well yeah I was talking about Tavon Austin. But the same can apply to Chris Givens...2 series in a preseason game (or 4 total so far) isn't nearly as much as they do in training camp.

so what they do in camp translates to what they do on gameday in your opinion? again maybe im misunderstanding something but i dont see how you can really believe that.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Hide what we can do for a whole one game? Really? Are we that afraid of the Cardinals? :ohno:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
DegenR(g)ambler said:
Zaphod said:

first, this is not last season! second, we are supposed to have this high powered offense but i havent seen much to say that they are. believe me i hope im wrong and that we put up 30 something in week 1. i just dont see how they are getting prepared to do that. and as i mentioned earlier im not the smartest football mind on the board for sure but this seems pretty basic to me.
Right, this is the second season with higher expectations. Looking at our success against the 49ers and Seahawks, I think we surprised them a little but that will be hard to repeat. I don't even know how much improvement over last season I realistically expect this year.

But ... who said high powered offense? They have a lot of youth at skill positions on offense. This team is very very young, and will depend on being coached to victory just like last season, so I'm not shocked that Fisher won't show his hand at all.

High powered? I don't know about that. But Sam will be upright for as long as the offensive line can hold up. He'll be confident in a few of his targets early on and it will show. They'll certainly be better, but not high powered.

Zaphod said:
DegenR(g)ambler said:
Zaphod said:

Right, this is the second season with higher expectations. Looking at our success against the 49ers and Seahawks, I think we surprised them a little but that will be hard to repeat. I don't even know how much improvement over last season I realistically expect this year.

But ... who said high powered offense? They have a lot of youth at skill positions on offense. This team is very very young, and will depend on being coached to victory just like last season, so I'm not shocked that Fisher won't show his hand at all.

High powered? I don't know about that. But Sam will be upright for as long as the offensive line can hold up. He'll be confident in a few of his targets early on and it will show. They'll certainly be better, but not high powered.

this makes sense to me. im still not understanding why he wouldnt want to open up the playbook a little more though...

CoachO

Hall of Fame
With all due respect to the OP, it seems to me that you totally discount the hundreds of reps these guys get in practice, because YOU cant see what they are working on.

You seem to be over valuing the importance of these Preseason "games", when in fact, this VERY EXPERIENCED COACHING STAFF view them as a glorified PRACTICE against someone other than themselves.

When you have no real idea going into one of these "games" what you are going to get from your opponent, regarding the "scheme" or what they set up as their objectives in what they want to get out of the game, it makes it next to impossible to see these as anything more than that.

But for you to think that because they don't "open things up" in what they view as a chance to evaluate the 75th player on the roster as being more important than seeing what the new "toys" can do, I think you are missing the real point of these games.

They PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE everyday, and its not just for the 2 hours a day we get to see them out on the field. I don't think any fan has any understanding of what a day is like for these players from a mental and physical standpoint in preparing for the season.

I guarantee you, they are already well into the gameplan for Arizona, and what you see in a "game" against Green Bay on August 17th has very little impact on that gameplan. Its more about finding players who can play at this level, not about the comfort level of the fans in what they are doing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CoachO said:
With all due respect to the OP, it seems to me that you totally discount the hundreds of reps these guys get in practice, because YOU cant see what they are working on.

You seem to be over valuing the importance of these Preseason "games", when in fact, this VERY EXPERIENCED COACHING STAFF view them as a glorified PRACTICE against someone other than themselves.

When you have no real idea going into one of these "games" what you are going to get from your opponent, regarding the "scheme" or what they set up as their objectives in what they want to get out of the game, it makes it next to impossible to see these as anything more than that.

But for you to think that because they don't "open things up" in what they view as a chance to evaluate the 75th player on the roster as being more important than seeing what the new "toys" can do, I think you are missing the real point of these games.

They PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE everyday, and its not just for the 2 hours a day we get to see them out on the field. I don't think any fan has any understanding of what a day is like for these players from a mental and physical standpoint in preparing for the season.

I guarantee you, they are already well into the gameplan for Arizona, and what you see in a "game" against Green Bay on August 17th has very little impact on that gameplan. Its more about finding players who can play at this level, not about the comfort level of the fans in what they are doing.
Those are valid points, but I'd still like to see the "ones" running some more plays out of the playbook in these last couple of games. Some of the plays that they run against our own defense just to see the effect against a different defense. I'd like to see them try to confuse someone other than their own players.

They can go ahead and evaluate the bottom part of the 90 in the third and 4th quarter and it would have no negative impact on their ability to gauge their own offense in the first and second quarter. And I know they don't "owe" the fans anything in that regard. It's just wishful thinking on a lot of our parts to get an early glimpse of what's to come, and iron out any execution problems they might have now as opposed to when it actually matters. There's nothing to lose as far as I'm concerned.

CoachO said:

thanks for your reply. assuming you have either coached football at some level, you probably understand the intricacies of the game far more than i and most on this forum. so again, thank you for your response as it is appreciated.

i do not discount the many, many reps taken during practices throughout camp. i do feel that a practice is just that, a practice and things arent moving at "game speed". also, i do not put to much stock in the couple of preseason games. however, i feel that the second half, if you will, of the preseason is quite important in order to get players ready mentally and physically. i am also not saying to open up the playbook for an entire game to see what individuals tryinig to make the team can do either. but as you said, i think it is more important to see what these "new" toys can do on the field. not only from a technical standpoint but also to build some confidence by getting them into the endzone, preferably before week one!

i understand that this is a business and they are probably do not care about what i or anyone else in this forum have to say regarding the team. after all as ive said before, they know a lot more about whats going on than i do.

X said:
CoachO said:

Those are valid points, but I'd still like to see the "ones" running some more plays out of the playbook in these last couple of games. Some of the plays that they run against our own defense just to see the effect against a different defense. I'd like to see them try to confuse someone other than their own players.

They can go ahead and evaluate the bottom part of the 90 in the third and 4th quarter and it would have no negative impact on their ability to gauge their own offense in the first and second quarter. And I know they don't "owe" the fans anything in that regard. It's just wishful thinking on a lot of our parts to get an early glimpse of what's to come, and iron out any execution problems they might have now as opposed to when it actually matters. There's nothing to lose as far as I'm concerned.

agree with all of this completely.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DegenR(g)ambler said:
X said:
CoachO said:

Suckup. :neh: :lol:

X said:
DegenR(g)ambler said:
X said:
CoachO said:

nah, not really...

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
DegenR(g)ambler said:
im going to shoot myself in the foot. When do we start opening it up a little bit? I understand that we dont want to give anything away and that we are playiing different players at different positions, after all it is the preseason. it just seems to me at some point you have open it up to truly prepare for week one and beyond. i mean, our first rd highly touted wr has had approx six balls thrown his way this preseason. is he getting the experience necessary to be ready for wk 1? im not a coach by any means and im just the rams personnel know what they are doing, its just getting a little frustrating. esp when i see andrew luck throwing two td passes in their last game and other teams putting points on the board etc.
I say we bust out all that stuff CoachO has been talking about in week 1, and NOT before. I'm getting my seatbelt ready for the regular season, as I think it's going to be very exciting.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: If I hear "vanilla" one more time...

DegenR(g)ambler said:
X said:
DegenR(g)ambler said:
X said:
CoachO said:

nah, not really...
Well then you just lost your seat at the open bar.

Yeah. That just happened.

Sent via Tapatalk2.