If all goes as planned on O....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Uggh.
It was so frustrating last year watching our corners 5 yds off the los .it felt like every play underneath was for a first down.

Walton definitely was not the answer.

I want our corners jamming the receivers and knocking them off their routes.
Half the time it was more like 11 yards.
Our pass rush is very good. Think how much better it could be supported by a good run game, good aggressive schemes and new talent at DT and the secondary.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Half the time it was more like 11 yards.
Our pass rush is very good. Think how much better it could be supported by a good run game, good aggressive schemes and new talent at DT and the secondary.

Absolutely.

Add Greg Williams to that group and I beleive we have something very special.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
For all the talk about the need for Bradford and the offense to step up if the Rams want to compete in the NFC west, the biggest difference last year was points allowed by the defense. The Rams secondary is the real reason they couldn't compete last year. If Joyner and the other draftees help close that gap, the Rams will be competitive.

To help bring home the point, the Rams scored only 69 less points than Seattle and only 58 less than SF with a backup QB in 9/16 games. On the other hand the defense gave up 133 more points than Seattle. With a healthy Bradford the offensive point difference would very likely have been even less.

With new DC Williams and the new talent on defense, the Rams may be closer than many imagine because it was quite obvious last season that Tim Walton was over his head.

While everything you said is true, even the thinnest pancake has two sides. Statistics are marvelous things aren't they? What's best about them is that they can be manipulated, stretched or shrunken to fit whatever perspective is necessary. However, in support of your point, even an additional 7 points scored each week would have made relatively little difference last season.

The only problem I have with depending (primarily) upon a sterling "D" is that because all 3 division opponents basically deploy similar strategic games, it would suggest that having something a bit different from the rest is needed to differentiate itself from the pack. Certainly a "high octane" passing attack would go a long way to accomplishing that objective. Some have suggested this team will be run oriented, I hope that's not strictly the case, especially when Fisher keeps stating that balance is the goal.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Play action is obviously the way to go, but what absolutely exciting to me is if Long, Robinson, Saffold, Barksdale, and let's say Jones are and stay healthy, this team should STILL be able to run the ball vs. stacked fronts like the Vikngs do. And ESPECIALLY on plays with Austin going in motion in the backfield simulating an end around to keep defenders honest.

Won't happen, but I really wish that the team would use a legit FB capable of not only lead blocking, but taking a few carries, too. Harkey is solid lead blocker, but unless Kendricks is doing a wham block coming in motion, he's just getting in the way vs. rooting a LB out of a hole. While not a ball carrier, a kid I really like in Justice Cunningham gets his shot to show what he can do this training camp. He could be this year's Harkey story. Maybe even better.

ramsrams

UDFA
Re stacked fronts, you'll get your wish Memphis, given Schotty's creativity.

Instead of running it up the middle, he'll run it up the middle.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Re stacked fronts, you'll get your wish Memphis, given Schotty's creativity.

Instead of running it up the middle, he'll run it up the middle.
Gee, I hope it's not as dull as he was last year! Could see a new OC if it is.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
While everything you said is true, even the thinnest pancake has two sides. Statistics are marvelous things aren't they? What's best about them is that they can be manipulated, stretched or shrunken to fit whatever perspective is necessary. However, in support of your point, even an additional 7 points scored each week would have made relatively little difference last season.
I understand there are lies, damn lies & statistics, however, it was the defense that failed early with some major help from the offense. But the defense did not show up against the Falcons, Cowboys and 49ers and that's when Fisher got more involved calling the defense and now he no longer has a green DC, he has the best defensive coordinator he's ever had so let's hope now the offense improves with a better OL & QB and thus maybe just maybe post season is in the future.

ausmurp

Starter
We were bad a screens because teams expected us to check it down early, knowing our line couldn't effectively provide proficient protection

We've been terrible at screen passes since Bradford has been QB, not just last yr.

Think about that, let it resonate.

I'm just being honest, Bradford is not good at executing screen passes, he never has been. Its something he needs to improve on, it is a powerful play to use, NE and Philly use them a lot and they work great.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We've been terrible at screen passes since Bradford has been QB, not just last yr.

I'm just being honest, Bradford is not good at executing screen passes, he never has been. Its something he needs to improve on, it is a powerful play to use, NE and Philly use them a lot and they work great.
While that's [kinda] true, what I've noticed (and maybe someone can back me up) is that the blocking out in front of those RB and WR screens is often atrocious.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing

I wasn't talking about just last year. I think the screens you are thinking of are the line of scrimmage audibles, and those were a result of bad play-calling, to me. Think about it, Bradford hiked the ball and immediately throws it to the receiver, who is standing there with no blocking, not coming back to the ball. I always wanted a slant in those instances.

But our designed screens haven't been too bad. Jackson was always decent at screens, Richardson and Givens had long runs their rookie seasons. I agree that we NEED to do these more, a perfect counter to a stacked box.