Identifying new leadership on Rams' priority list for OTAs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Identifying new leadership on Rams' priority list for OTAs
By Nick Wagoner

[espn.go.com]

The Los Angeles Rams are moving closer to the beginning of the final phase of the offseason conditioning program. That's the time all players can come together on a field and go through full-squad practices (with some limitations, of course): organized team activities.

The Rams' first OTA is set for May 31 at their current temporary training facility in Oxnard, Calif. Before we get there, we're counting down five of the questions we'll look to get answered when the Rams get going again:

The question: By deleting James Laurinaitis and Chris Long, the Rams lost some important leadership in the locker room. Who are some candidates to step into those roles and provide some leadership at a time when the team needs it more than ever?

Outlook: Leadership in an NFL locker room can be a tricky thing. Because it's intangible, nobody really knows the effect that strong leaders can have until, perhaps, it's gone. The Rams probably would have liked to have kept Laurinaitis and Long around forever if the decision was solely about what they brought to the table in terms of leadership. But that obviously wasn't possible, and they decided they needed to get better at middle linebacker and defensive end while also ushering in a new era of leadership on the roster.

But in subtracting Long and Laurinaitis, the Rams lost a combined 15 years of valuable playing experience. Yes, Long and Laurinaitis were leaders of a team that never reached the playoffs, but the Rams have been the youngest team in the league for each of the four seasons that Jeff Fisher has been head coach. They project to be right in the mix to hold that title once again. That wouldn't be a big deal if they'd had some success in those four seasons, but without so much as a .500 season in those years, the Rams need someone who can step to the forefront and serve as the on-field voice when things might go wrong.

On defense, the Rams have some options who already have showed signs of leadership. End Robert Quinn would seem to be the best bet as he's proved himself as a player and has been around long enough to share his experience. Quinn and defensive tackle Aaron Donald are the two best defenders on the team, but neither has a reputation for being a vocal leader. End William Hayes is another good candidate who could step to the forefront now that he's entrenched as a starter. Linebacker Alec Ogletree will have to take on some of those responsibilities if for no other reason than the fact that he's replacing Laurinaitis. Leadership from his position is imperative, and Ogletree will have to be key in getting his teammates lined up as well as calling the defense. Safety T.J. McDonald would seem to be another candidate to step into more of a leadership role.

On offense, ideally, that player to lead would be rookie quarterback Jared Goff -- if for no other reason than he was the first overall pick and plays the most important position on the field. That will probably come in time for Goff, but he has enough to do now without worrying about everyone else. Last year, the Rams hoped Nick Foles would be that guy, naming him captain before he ever played a snap, but his struggles on the field got him benched. Case Keenum has leadership qualities and could also help in the interim. Todd Gurley is already the best player on the offense, but like Donald isn't known for being vocal. Offensive linemen Rodger Saffold and Garrett Reynolds are other logical candidates to at least help their position group and the same is true of receiver Kenny Britt and tight ends Lance Kendricks and Cory Harkey.

All told, leaders generally have to grow into their roles in a more organic way. They can't be forced, although positions like quarterback and middle linebacker often lend themselves to the job. It's a process that takes time and one that starts on the practice field and in the weight room at this time of year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
True...I'll go Saffold & Britt & Tavon on offense

Quinn, Tree, TJ McDonald on defense. I'd go Aaron Donald too, but I hear he's kinda quiet.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
On defense one would expect the two over 30 something DE's Eugene Sims entering his 7th season & William Hayes entering his 9th to fill this role without any issues its in their DNA. Quinn & Donald are opposites of Sims & Hayes by nature. Now that Mark Barron has found a coaching staff that desires his style of play & rewarded him nicely. Fisher have placed Mark in a key position in the middle of a potentially youthful great defense @ a play-making defensive position WSLB'er .......we stand a good chance & most will be surprised as to what we see happens from this point on as far as leadership from Mark.

The article brings up TJ Mc Donald...interesting since he has a suspension looming, however if they make the decision to move TJ back to center field behind the entire defense & let Mo remain in the box :whistle: yes TJ could very well pick up the secondary leader mantle & the much heavier brain work. One thing we do know its running through his blood just go back & see who his dad was. I just believe that Gregg desires to have 2 big 440 plus combined pound hitters as his safeties this season.

On offense...finally :shocked: this article mentioned what ROD was posting on this week...veteran OL'er Garrett Reynolds! :yess: Someone has a clue;). Garrett is the senior citizen along with Kenny Britt on offense with 8 NFL seasons under his belt. The work & effort that this OL'er put in last season to keep the injury plagued OL together has not gone unnoticed. One example was the effect on Young Robinson when Garrett was teamed with him later in the season.

Among all the flipping & flopping from one position to another.... several & ever 3 times in one game from OL post to OL post, Garrett proved to me he has won the first bid on a starting post as this OL & needs to be the new leader. So in all this musical chairs mess in the OL again two very positive things were discovered .....First Boudreau & Garrett found out that Garrett is a terrific starting LEFT Guard. Second that Garrett is a natural OL leader.

In conclusion I do hold out hope that Kenny Britt can kick off his immature actions of the past & here & now Fisher can offer up his chance to be the offensive leader for the receiving units. It is Kenny's 8th season now & its time:shades:.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Pretty interesting thoughts ??

1. Robert Quinn was a pro/bowler who helped select the team
2. Aaron Donald a 2 time pro bowler.Add that Long & JL55 are gone w/out one pro bowl between them.
3. Brockers is a stud & is tight with Ogletree.He has been working out pretty good. The Rams defensive front 7 is solid with leadership.Even Akers & Barron will step up .
4. Back 4 is a question mark.Tru was basically franchised & needs to be a leader.TJ ?? He was a team captain at SC.
5.Starting QB has to own the huddle which I think The Rams players will respect.
6.Roger Daffold has already accepted the leadership role & has been great doing so when injured.
7.Todd Gurley & Bennie push them selfs to make plays.Which is pretty cool.They really do fire themselves up. They put a vision & goals on during games.
--Tavon Austin has been great.He can take it to the house,& has been a vocal leader.He was great with the support & passion of Steman Bailey.Players were real tight.--T. Austin is straight up.--
-Kenny Britt loves to talk trash & brings joy practice to practice.He competes hard.
Special teams leader is a question mark ?? Pretty cool squad & Fossel is a great cheerleader. Heckler is an all/pro type punter.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think that this is an excellent topic that Wagoner has introduced.

My thoughts...

The leadership "vacuum" on D is just a media myth. Hayes, Ogltree, TruJo, Joyner (yes, Joyner), and McDonald will more than fill any needed leadership needs. Anybody foresee any lack of effort from Donald, Brockers, Quinn, Barron, Gaines, or (maybe) Alexander, either? Me neither.

On O? Goff is a natural born leader. He has "it", whatever that is. Besides, I see nothing but effort and "want to" guys on the O, anymore. Cook is gone, now. I expect more of the same from the rookies, too. If Williams even sneezes funny, I think his teammates straighten him out in one quick hurry.

I just don't see any lack of leadership for this team in all 3 phases.

Old Rock

Rookie
Name
Rock
I think that this is an excellent topic that Wagoner has introduced.

My thoughts...

The leadership "vacuum" on D is just a media myth. Hayes, Ogltree, TruJo, Joyner (yes, Joyner), and McDonald will more than fill any needed leadership needs. Anybody foresee any lack of effort from Donald, Brockers, Quinn, Barron, Gaines, or (maybe) Alexander, either? Me neither.

On O? Goff is a natural born leader. He has "it", whatever that is. Besides, I see nothing but effort and "want to" guys on the O, anymore. Cook is gone, now. I expect more of the same from the rookies, too. If Williams even sneezes funny, I think his teammates straighten him out in one quick hurry.

I just don't see any lack of leadership for this team in all 3 phases.
Yeah, I don't see Higbee (Cook) shoving Goff (Davis) anywhere in our future. I wanted Cook off the team for sure ever since that. Fisher is the only thing that saved him.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Websters "addition by subtraction" has a picture of Cook as the definition.

Absolutely the worst decision Fisher has ever made, period.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
And I'd bet anything Snead was not on board.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
And he's going to suck in Green Bay, guaranteed.