IDC if i get flack for this but...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I liked what Kellen Clemens brung to the table as far as throwing the ball vertically down field. He rarely checked the ball down or went horizontal with the ball. I'm not a Bradford hater but I think if he was playing yesterday we would have played into thier hands by throwing a lot of horizontal and check down passes. Schotty's playing calling all season has been pretty consistant. And for the most part has called good games besides in the goal line area. Be careful what u wish for if u want a new oc... It's the same oc that went to I think 3 straight afc championship games. But one thing he had was a STRONG running game to get there.

As long As our D can play like they did last night and Clemens can somehow not overthrow recievers, we can win some games. Oh yea but no matter if those 2 things happen we are NOTHING without Zach Stacy.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Did you miss the Carolina game? That's exactly what we were doing before Bradford went down, if our receivers hands didn't turn to stone and we didn't get the most penalties in the known universe we would have easily won that game in exactly the fashion you're talking about.

Clemens didn't really do anything different except play worse than Bradford.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, the game plan would have remained the same with Bradford in there (all the coaches said as much in radio interviews during the week), and I HIGHLY doubt that Bradford misses plays designed to get receivers in open space.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Clemens passer rating last night was 36.8.

I don't like that at all. We aren't beating anyone with a 36.8 QB rating.

Here's a point of reference. Gabbert is at 36.0 for the year. Oh, and Josh Freeman is at 52.6.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
You think the play calling in the redzone has been bad this year? Other than last night I think the redzone play calling has been the best.

You want Clemens throwing the ball directly to defenses?

I think people are reacting emotionally to the tight score rather than looking at what exactly the offense was doing. They scored 9 points...NINE! And the part of the offense that kept them moving was Zac Stacy.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Here's a point of reference. Gabbert is at 36.0 for the year. Oh, and Josh Freeman is at 52.6.
I agree if that's a constant. Right now it could just be an anomaly. I know Clemens' career stats don't support the idea that he could light it up this year, but I saw some things for him to build on, and the players (according to their own words) are apparently deep in his court right now.

bluecoconuts

Legend
They better be in his court.

I'm okay with Clemons for the rest of the year. He won't be great, but he is what he is.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
They better be in his court.

I'm okay with Clemens for the rest of the year. He won't be great, but he is what he is.
Exactly...and there isn't a better alternative. So you live with it and hope the defense keeps playing at a high level and the players on offense use this season as a learning/developmental experience.

nighttrain

Legend

Clemens showed why he is a backup, and i'd rather try another
train

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I agree if that's a constant. Right now it could just be an anomaly. I know Clemens' career stats don't support the idea that he could light it up this year, but I saw some things for him to build on, and the players (according to their own words) are apparently deep in his court right now.

It's good to be an optimist.

Next week should be a much better opportunity to get a win against the Titans at home. After that, there is only TB that looks like a win to me.

It will have to be an any given Sunday game to win against...
@SF
@SEA
@Cards
Bears
Saints
Colts

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Truthfully, I'll trade the rest of the schedule for a win in Seattle. I need that bad.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did you miss the Carolina game? That's exactly what we were doing before Bradford went down, if our receivers hands didn't turn to stone and we didn't get the most penalties in the known universe we would have easily won that game in exactly the fashion you're talking about.

Clemens didn't really do anything different except play worse than Bradford.

Yea he did it in the Carolina game... And maybe another game or 2. But Bradford likes to check the ball down, that is no secret. He will checkdown before he looks downfield. I'm not saying I like clemens as a qb, I'm saying I like how he looks to throw the ball downfield first instead of checking down first.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yea he did it in the Carolina game... And maybe another game or 2. But Bradford likes to check the ball down, that is no secret. He will checkdown before he looks downfield. I'm not saying I like clemens as a qb, I'm saying I like how he looks to throw the ball downfield first instead of checking down first.
I agree that Clemens is more of a risk taker, but you do know the average length of pass plays last night was 4.1, right? He really didn't do anything that Bradford doesn't do in terms of short, intermediate and deep shots in that game. And in all likelihood, Bradford connects on quite a few more of them with fewer turnovers.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Truthfully, I'll trade the rest of the schedule for a win in Seattle. I need that bad.
I really want them to go to Seattle and hurt their postseason somehow...and to get a win in that stadium would really be awesome.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I agree that Clemens is more of a risk taker, but you do know the average length of pass plays last night was 4.1, right? He really didn't do anything that Bradford doesn't do in terms of short, intermediate and deep shots in that game. And in all likelihood, Bradford connects on quite a few more of them with fewer turnovers.

There was a difference...two telegraphed INTs.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I think it's already been argued ad infinitum that Bradford doesn't 'like' checking down, so I'm not going to argue that.

I'll tell you the true secret, I'd rather see checkdowns that succeed than deep bombs thrown all wily nilly that end up in the complete wrong person's hands.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I was going to watch the game again last night but rewind wasn't available even though all games were over.

I wanted to see a few things. If, like Fisher seemed to indicate, the two INTs were thrown to a spot and the receiver just ran the wrong route; our coverage in the secondary and if their receivers were blanketed most of the game; our passing game and the routes being run; the O-line play.

I still am in disbelief today. I am not saying that I can't believe we didn't win that game but I am in disbelief at my perception of the offensive play calling. I really need to see now that I am a wee bit less emotional, just how that game was being played from the offensive side. Our defense played a hell of a game. And from what I did see, our DBs really stepped up aside from a couple of plays. BTW - that hands to the face call on Johnson was TOTAL bullshit and was a case of the refs simply not wanting to acknowledge that they shouldn't have thrown the flag on an uncatchable ball.

If the two INTs were thrown to the right spot (not sure if I'll actually be able to tell) then maybe we can look at Clemens' game as actually not being that bad and something to build on. It just seemed to me in the limited amount of time I could actually watch the first three quarters that there were a lot of bad plays by the entire offense - including Clemens. I'm not trying to bag on Clemens. I think many of you know I am in his corner. I hope what I see is a QB with potential to brush off some rust and play good football.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think it's already been argued ad infinitum that Bradford doesn't 'like' checking down, so I'm not going to argue that.

I'll tell you the true secret, I'd rather see checkdowns that succeed than deep bombs thrown all wily nilly that end up in the complete wrong person's hands.
lol @ willy nilly (I don't know why that's always so funny to me). I'm getting lots of good chuckles from the board the past couple of days.

:bigup:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I was going to watch the game again last night but rewind wasn't available even though all games were over.

I wanted to see a few things. If, like Fisher seemed to indicate, the two INTs were thrown to a spot and the receiver just ran the wrong route; our coverage in the secondary and if their receivers were blanketed most of the game; our passing game and the routes being run; the O-line play.

I still am in disbelief today. I am not saying that I can't believe we didn't win that game but I am in disbelief at my perception of the offensive play calling. I really need to see now that I am a wee bit less emotional, just how that game was being played from the offensive side. Our defense played a hell of a game. And from what I did see, our DBs really stepped up aside from a couple of plays. BTW - that hands to the face call on Johnson was TOTAL bullshit and was a case of the refs simply not wanting to acknowledge that they shouldn't have thrown the flag on an uncatchable ball.

If the two INTs were thrown to the right spot (not sure if I'll actually be able to tell) then maybe we can look at Clemens' game as actually not being that bad and something to build on. It just seemed to me in the limited amount of time I could actually watch the first three quarters that there were a lot of bad plays by the entire offense - including Clemens. I'm not trying to bag on Clemens. I think many of you know I am in his corner. I hope what I see is a QB with potential to brush off some rust and play good football.
I think Fisher was telling the truth on the Cook pass (to a predetermined spot), but I think the one to Pettis was just a bad throw. Pettis did slip a little, but I think he slipped because the pass was high and behind. Clemens showed me what I thought he'd show me (Dennis voice) HE IS WHAT I THOUGHT HE WAS! He's a tough dude, and he won't hesitate to put his body on the line for the team. That could be a bad thing depending how people want to look at it, but I can get behind a dude that's willing to get waxed to pick up a few extra yards or extend a drive. Watch that 93 yard drive at the end of the game, and I think you'll be validated in your thinking that there's stuff to build on. We're not in better shape at all, but at least (IMO), we're not in Curtis Painter territory.