I'd rather sign this Viking than Percy Harvin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/12/rick-spielman-wants-phil-loadholt-to-stick-around/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ck-around/</a>

There’s been a lot of attention paid to the Vikings’ first-round pick from the 2009 draft, but wide receiver Percy Harvin isn’t the only player from that draft that Minnesota has to make a decision about this offseason.

Tackle Phil Loadholt, their second-round pick in 2009, is headed for free agency next month if the Vikings aren’t able to re-sign him. The right tackle started all 16 games in 2012 as part of a unit that helped Adrian Peterson to the second-most rushing yards in history while cutting the team’s sacks from 49 to 32 and it’s a unit that General Manager Rick Spielman wants to see remain together in 2013.

“Continuity is a huge part of it on the offensive line because those guys have to work as one unit and they have to know each other inside and out. They work together on combination blocks, on picking up stunts and twists when they’re in pass pro passing off. I think continuity is a big key to that,” Spielman said, via the team’s website. “We’d love to keep Phil Loadholt, so we’ll try to do everything we can to keep Phil Loadholt but we also have a lot of guys we’d like to keep.”

Loadholt moved into a starting job as a rookie and hasn’t given it up over the four years he’s spent in Minnesota. Given the need to figure out Harvin’s future as well as the need to improve the overall look of the wide receiving corps, getting a contract done with Loadholt quickly would allow the Vikings to devote their time to other things without adding a worry on the offensive line.

The two sides were reportedly talking during the season so there would seem to be a good chance of making that happen before Loadholt can run up his price by talking with other teams.

He might not be resigned, but might cost a pretty penny for a RT. Phil is a really good RT and still developing. Besides money the only issue is if he turns into another Jason Brown where he just doesn't care anymore.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I'd take him...but I also think the regime has plans for Joe Barksdale.

I think people are going to be surprised at when lineman are drafted too. All these mocks and many internet GMs have Oline early...I bet Oline gets taken mid-to late round.

Saffold-Watkins-Wells-Dahl-Barksdale

That's what I'm predicting.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Sum1BTRthnU said:
I'd take him...but I also think the regime has plans for Joe Barksdale.

I think people are going to be surprised at when lineman are drafted too. All these mocks and many internet GMs have Oline early...I bet Oline gets taken mid-to late round.

Saffold-Watkins-Wells-Dahl-Barksdale

That's what I'm predicting.

You could be right.

Skill positions take skill. Higher picks.

Line positions can be developed (they also take skill/physical attributes... but it can be farmed differently if that makes sense).

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Really Barskdale? If that's so why didn't he play last year over Barry Richardson? He only played in 6 games and that doesn't mention he's been in the NFL for 3 years. I think Barksdale is good for depth purposes.

Personally in a perfect world the Rams OL after the draft would be Saffold, Warmack, Wells, Dahl, Fluker/Loadholt. I'd take Chris Williams over Barksdale for backup OT purposes too.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Angry Ram said:
Really Barskdale? If that's so why didn't he play last year over Barry Richardson? He only played in 6 games and that doesn't mention he's been in the NFL for 3 years. I think Barksdale is good for depth purposes.

Personally in a perfect world the Rams OL after the draft would be Saffold, Warmack, Wells, Dahl, Fluker/Loadholt. I'd take Chris Williams over Barksdale for backup OT purposes too.

Barksdale was added in season where Richardson was with the team through camp.

Listening to Les Snead in different interviews. I've heard him bring up Barksdale more than once. He is a player that was thought highly of coming out of college. Linemen have shown the ability to develop over the course of time.

I'm not setting it in stone...I'm just saying keep an eye on it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sum1BTRthnU said:
Angry Ram said:

Barksdale was added in season where Richardson was with the team through camp.

Listening to Les Snead in different interviews. I've heard him bring up Barksdale more than once. He is a player that was thought highly of coming out of college. Linemen have shown the ability to develop over the course of time.

I'm not setting it in stone...I'm just saying keep an eye on it.

Well at the moment Joe Barksdale is our only Right OT on roster. Barksdale never saw the field as a Ram @ ORT. JB did start two games @ his college position OLT when both Saffold & Wayne Hunter were injured. His first NFL action came in the last part of the Miami game when we unable to put anything together to win the game with him on the field. JB started the next two game with TE help against the Packers & Patriots Rams were not even close in those two games either. Hunter still ailing Saffold was rushed back into play early for the 9ers game. Fisher did not want to see JB going up against RDE Sheldon Smith who was on fire @ that time. JB never saw the field again for the Rams never dressed up for the rest of the 2012 season. JB was a LEFT & RIGHT OT @ LSU & did well on this run dominated 2010 team @ OLT. JB just does not have the feet to compete play after play @ OLT but was inserted @ RIGHT OT in TC as a rookie as a 3rd rd pick of the Raiders. JB did not make it there and never got on the field with the regular offense with the Raiders in 2011. JB lasted through 3 Raider 2012 games never active & was released mid 4th week from the Raiders last yr & the Rams picked him up. The 6-5 330 pound OT does look like a right OT. To the defense of JB he has yet to go through a RAMS Training Camp & Pre -Season under Paul Boudreau instruction. Thats an important thing for me to remember! It would be wonderful if JB worked out @ ORT but IMO that a high risk gamble for a type QB that Sam Bradford is.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1244947" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... al/1244947</a>

I do not see much comfort with going into the 2013 season with Barksdale as our only right OT. As far as the Vikings ORT Phil Loadholt purchase ?? With what cap $$ will we be able to purchase a UFA? IMO will not happen so if the Rams manage to sign a ORT it will be a much cheaper one like Barry Richardson again or the draft! BR will even cost somewhere around 1 1/2 mil a season if we are lucky. Chris Williams did not look good @ ORT when he did get on the field. But did a good job working late @ Right Guard for Harvey Dahl. I do not see CW being a ORT candidate he has proven he is no NFL OT.

It would be best for the Rams to have a very good insurance policy ready to go if JB does what he has done since he arrived in the NFL (Fail). Draft Lane Johnson @ #16 or go get either Brennan Williams or Menelik Watson with our #78 pick in the 3rd rd. If they are already gone then move on Chris Faulk LSU who replaced JB. But one has to know that the Rams are also missing a Swing OT too!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think there is a chance Richardson is back. In fact, I hope he is.

He is a healthy player.

While not spectacular, he was okay, and showed improvement under Boudreau.

If someone comes along in the draft to start ahead of him, great. If not, it's not a disaster having him as the starter at RT.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2