I'd pass on Blackmon if they trade for Wallace

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ace-trade/

Very doubtful, but trading one of next year's 1st + a 3rd or something would be pretty cool for me.

Bradford, Wallace, SJack.

Could take Richardson to help w/ the trio for the future. Or take Claiborne and some 'backers to complete the D. And also can use 2nd rounders to build the OL.

Hey, I can dream.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
He could be had for less than that. Everyone knows he's done in Pittsburgh after this year. They dont have any leverage in negotiations. Ill bet a second would get it done. Maybe less.

But IDK if we have the payroll flexibility to sign him long term. It would be pointless to trade for him if we couldnt work out an extension before hand. Chances are we wont be a serious contender.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I just posted an article on another Wallace thread that says he could be had for a third or fourth. Problem is, he wants somewhere in the neighborhood of $15 mil per year. I just don't think he is Larry Fitzgerald good without all the other targets around him.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
I just posted an article on another Wallace thread that says he could be had for a third or fourth. Problem is, he wants somewhere in the neighborhood of $15 mil per year. I just don't think he is Larry Fitzgerald good without all the other targets around him.
I don't know if we have the cap to sign him this year.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Would really like to have him, but no way the Steelers let him go unless they get overwhelmed by the offer of a couple 1st round picks.
He is the key to there offense and the only player they have that the other team has to game plan for right now.
They get to keep him for cheap this year, can franchise him next year then let him go and still get a 4th as a comp pick for him.
Even at his tender price the Rams would have to make cuts to sign him. And signing him to the 15 mil. per he wants would lead to such drastic cuts that competitively for next year it would make no sense.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Why not trade for Wallace AND take Blackmon/Floyd? Now, Sam has got some weapons on the outside. No?

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
interference said:
Why not trade for Wallace AND take Blackmon/Floyd? Now, Sam has got some weapons on the outside. No?

Yeah but they don't have that luxury to double dip.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
How often do these trades for stud WRs workout?

Boldin gets traded to the Ravens. His production declined. It wasnt a big contract though, they are a run-first team, and he is starting to get up there in age now.

Holmes trade to NY looked like a steal for the Jets his 1st season with them (even when factoring in the suspension) but now it doesnt look too good. The Steelers practically game him away.

Marshall in Miami didnt work out.

The Pats got a lot out of Moss when they traded for him. He had the record-breaking season.

Its gonna be interesting to see what happens with Wallace. Couldnt the Steelers also have him play the year out and then give him the franchise tag next year?

steferfootball

Starter
JdashSTL said:

Boldin gets traded to the Ravens. His production declined. It wasnt a big contract though, they are a run-first team, and he is starting to get up there in age now.

Holmes trade to NY looked like a steal for the Jets his 1st season with them (even when factoring in the suspension) but now it doesnt look too good. The Steelers practically game him away.

The Pats got a lot out of Moss when they traded for him. He had the record-breaking season.

Its gonna be interesting to see what happens with Wallace. Couldnt the Steelers also have him play the year out and then give him the franchise tag next year?
All of them had lousy quarterbacks. Well, Flacco is average, but Boldin is getting up in age, and just played with Warner and Fitz. Probably a little shock there.

Ultimately if Bradford doesn't improve, we are doomed whether or not we have receivers. IMO, get him a go to guy to help him develop a little.

Angry Ram

JdashSTL said:

Wallace is a completly different class from these guys, even if he's disgruntled (lol) right now.

Boldin = "slow" for a WR. He's a beast.

Marshall = criminal, and didn't he have some disorder diagnosed?

Holmes = Overrated. For all the great catches, he's had a ton of drops. Plus he pouts when things don't go his way.

Moss = 1 year wonder. Didn't care in Oakland, or his 3 team journey in 2010.

Wallace is younger, faster, and more importantly...a good guy.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think the Rams have moved on in considering Wallace. He's just too expensive at the moment. They'd be better off signing Jericho Cotchery to a one year deal and drafting Blackmon and looking again next year if needed.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Angry Ram said:
JdashSTL said:

Wallace is a completly different class from these guys, even if he's disgruntled (lol) right now.

Holmes = Overrated. For all the great catches, he's had a ton of drops. Plus he pouts when things don't go his way.

And that just makes me really skeptical about the Steelers possibly trading him. Why would a very good, and young WR with no baggage, and no bad injury history get traded? Keep in mind they also will get a compensation pick if he leaves thru FA. I think they either resign him eventually, or they let him walk.

bluecoconuts

Legend
JdashSTL said:
Angry Ram said:
JdashSTL said:

And that just makes me really skeptical about the Steelers possibly trading him. Why would a very good, and young WR with no baggage, and no bad injury history get traded? Keep in mind they also will get a compensation pick if he leaves thru FA. I think they either resign him eventually, or they let him walk.

Cap space? I don't know the Steelers cap situation, but I see things like that in hockey a lot. New Jersey for example will probably have to let their captain Zach Parise go. He's an allstar player, Olympic star, captain, fan favorite, in his prime (mid 20's) and an amazing locker room guy... They can technically afford him, but then that leaves them very little room for other positions, so it's likely he leaves during FA this year... That could be the same thing with them, especially if he is asking for a lot. They may feel they would rather spread that money through different positions and help the overall team.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Angry Ram said:
interference said:

If Steelers only want this year's 2nd round, or later, for Wallace, then why can't we "double dip"? Haven't we allocated and set aside cap space for this years draft class that is not part of the same cap-pool that Wallace would absorb? Just seems to me the primary issue is the Rams FO satisfying Wallace's contract demands.

But, why not try to solve our weapon's-starved offence this season, if we can?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
Cap space? I don't know the Steelers cap situation, but I see things like that in hockey a lot. New Jersey for example will probably have to let their captain Zach Parise go. He's an allstar player, Olympic star, captain, fan favorite, in his prime (mid 20's) and an amazing locker room guy... They can technically afford him, but then that leaves them very little room for other positions, so it's likely he leaves during FA this year... That could be the same thing with them, especially if he is asking for a lot. They may feel they would rather spread that money through different positions and help the overall team.

Steelers are probably in the worst position of any team with regards to the cap. Lots of expensive vets. They would have resigned Wallace to an extension if they could afford to.

@interference we cant take a WR with one of our first 3 picks then trade another one of those top 3 picks for Wallace. We have to get starters and contributes at multiple positions out of this draft. We have NOBODY at RG, OLB, DT, or #2 RB. At least we have bodies at WR.

Angry Ram

interference said:
Angry Ram said:
interference said:

If Steelers only want this year's 2nd round, or later, for Wallace, then why can't we "double dip"? Haven't we allocated and set aside cap space for this years draft class that is not part of the same cap-pool that Wallace would absorb? Just seems to me the primary issue is the Rams FO satisfying Wallace's contract demands.

But, why not try to solve our weapon's-starved offence this season, if we can?

Because this team has need @ LG, OT, 2 OLBs, CB, backup/starting RB, DT that need to be drafted and developed w/ the 1st and 2nd rounders.

Trading 1 or 2 draft picks for a legit WR would allow us to use the other picks for the other needs. And allow to develop a "project" WR w/ a later round pick.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
bluecoconuts said:
JdashSTL said:
Angry Ram said:
JdashSTL said:

Cap space? I don't know the Steelers cap situation, but I see things like that in hockey a lot. New Jersey for example will probably have to let their captain Zach Parise go. He's an allstar player, Olympic star, captain, fan favorite, in his prime (mid 20's) and an amazing locker room guy... They can technically afford him, but then that leaves them very little room for other positions, so it's likely he leaves during FA this year... That could be the same thing with them, especially if he is asking for a lot. They may feel they would rather spread that money through different positions and help the overall team

Interesting example. That just makes me think they would rather keep him until his contract is up. They are still gonna be a legit playoff contender this year with him. Its not gonna be easy to replace him this year if they trade him. The offense would take a big hit, unless they somehow strike gold on another WR in the draft lol. Things could possibly change if somebody blew them away with a great trade offer, but if that was gonna happen it feels like that should have happened sooner.