Ian Rapoport reports the Rams' defensive coaching staff is hoping to keep their jobs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
The defense is designed for a GW scheme - Barron is a SS in any other defensive scheme in the NFL, and a transition to a 3-4 would be brutal and take a few years. Brockers and Donald would be a good foundation as a NT and DE, but can Quinn be a 3-4 OLB? Does 'Tree have the size to be a 3-4 ILB?

It might not be a bad idea for the incoming HC to retain Williams, or at least someone to execute his aggressive Big Nickel scheme.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The defense is designed for a GW scheme - Barron is a SS in any other defensive scheme in the NFL, and a transition to a 3-4 would be brutal and take a few years. Brockers and Donald would be a good foundation as a NT and DE, but can Quinn be a 3-4 OLB? Does 'Tree have the size to be a 3-4 ILB?

It might not be a bad idea for the incoming HC to retain Williams, or at least someone to execute his aggressive Big Nickel scheme.

Barron is a key element in a change over to a more conventional look, no doubt. But I actually think he'd be better off as a SS under a guy like Bradley or any other 4-3 DC who favors more cover 2 and simplicity. He was a big part of our run defense problems, the dude missed his assignment on multiple big plays and those are just the ones I noticed. I'm sure if I were to go back and watch the film and just watch him it would be uglier. But as a SS he would probably be better served.

Alexander is coming along real nice. I think in a defense with simplified reads like the Seattle version that Bradley runs, he'd be fine playing deep. I'd give him a shot there, regardless, and I suspect the results would be pretty good.

Really the problem with a more conventional 4-3 is our linebackers. This defense is way too light in the pants and it starts there. Ogletree goes to WILL, no doubt about it. We add a MIKE and SAM. Those types are cheaper and easier to get than the playmaker too, btw, so it's doable in one offseason.

And of course they gotta add a CB, but in that type of scheme you can do like Seattle and target bigger CBs with a little less range and use them aggressively on the LOS and rolled up zones. Tru is ideal for that type of defense btw, and would kill it. Rams are actually not too far off in the secondary given all that, just add one solid corner.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Barron is a key element in a change over to a more conventional look, no doubt. But I actually think he'd be better off as a SS under a guy like Bradley or any other 4-3 DC who favors more cover 2 and simplicity. He was a big part of our run defense problems, the dude missed his assignment on multiple big plays and those are just the ones I noticed. I'm sure if I were to go back and watch the film and just watch him it would be uglier. But as a SS he would probably be better served.

Alexander is coming along real nice. I think in a defense with simplified reads like the Seattle version that Bradley runs, he'd be fine playing deep. I'd give him a shot there, regardless, and I suspect the results would be pretty good.

Really the problem with a more conventional 4-3 is our linebackers. This defense is way too light in the pants and it starts there. Ogletree goes to WILL, no doubt about it. We add a MIKE and SAM. Those types are cheaper and easier to get than the playmaker too, btw, so it's doable in one offseason.

And of course they gotta add a CB, but in that type of scheme you can do like Seattle and target bigger CBs with a little less range and use them aggressively on the LOS and rolled up zones. Tru is ideal for that type of defense btw, and would kill it. Rams are actually not too far off in the secondary given all that, just add one solid corner.
I only bring up Barron because it seems that a lot of the Rams' depth is at SS - outside of a Big Nickel scheme, Barron, McD and Alexander are all SS, IMO. I think you're better off with Joyner at FS, and Alexander isn't exactly setting the world on fire back there, but that's rather debatable.

Problem with that, though, is that I see McD as one of the 2 or 3 top talents on the defense, along with Donald and Ogletree. Losing him would be a blow.

You're right about the LBs though. 'Tree as a WLB would wreck shit, and it would be easy enough to get decent players at MLB and SLB.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you have the chance to keep this defense intact you do that. It means keeping GW you do that. The problem isnt on the defense. The draft picks and the usage. He turned Alex Barron into a beast. Dont forget either that a lot of the soft coverage was Fisher, always playing ball conrol and not to loose hopefully a new headcoach will let GW coach and do his thing. If you want an even longer rebuild period then you fire everybody and start over but honestly you keep soecial team and defense intact and with the right head coach and oc the turn around can happen a lot sooner

FRO

Legend
I would be fine with them being retained. With better offensive play they will actually improve. Why not continue to build a pretty solid unit instead of going back to the drawing board. Pour energy into fixing the offense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think you're better off with Joyner at FS, and Alexander isn't exactly setting the world on fire back there, but that's rather debatable.

I've been hearing Joyner to FS seemingly forever on the Rams boards, but I don't agree. Joyner's best value to us is neutralizing the slot, and I think he's going to have a big season next year because he will hopefully be healthy. I'm in the minority on that, I know, but I love the kid and think he's a key piece still.

And I love Alexander. He came a loooooong way last year for us. Put him in a simplified scheme deep, with his size and range, and he'll do just fine as a deep safety. Going from Williams' scheme to a base 4-3 with a lot of cover 2 looks would be easy mode for him.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I've been hearing Joyner to FS seemingly forever on the Rams boards, but I don't agree. Joyner's best value to us is neutralizing the slot, and I think he's going to have a big season next year because he will hopefully be healthy. I'm in the minority on that, I know, but I love the kid and think he's a key piece still.

And I love Alexander. He came a loooooong way last year for us. Put him in a simplified scheme deep, with his size and range, and he'll do just fine as a deep safety. Going from Williams' scheme to a base 4-3 with a lot of cover 2 looks would be easy mode for him.
I still think Joyner's best spot is FS, with Gaines at the slot CB position and Alexander backing up either Barron or McD at SS. That said, I'm wrong a lot, so...

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Prevent defense with the lead and momentum just to give up the game? No thankyou.

BUHHH BYEEE!

p.s. keep Waufle, Singletary, and Cecil the rest can take a hike.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
My biggest issue with defense was that CB cushion it was so bad. Need some CB's that can play press. Delay the WR's so that the DL has time to get to the Quarterback. Watching Carson Palmer get blasted only just after he threw it because out guys could cover or delay the receiver a half second.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I'm open to keeping GW based on continuity and his approach to handling defenses: he evolves his scheme to the players strengths. It's hard to judge where the defense is at considering how putrid our coaching on offense is. The defense can only hold the line for so long until they're gassed out. Giving them a chance with an offense that can sustain drives will likely do wonders

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't want the entire defensive coaching staff back after so many guys quit on the season before it was over.

EDIT: To clarify, I don't mean fire everybody. I mean I don't want the group coming back without any changes.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
Honestly, I just want a clean slate. Get rid of all of them. The only coach I'd like to keep is Fassell, and even if we don't, I won't be devastated.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Prevent defense with the lead and momentum just to give up the game? No thankyou.

BUHHH BYEEE!

p.s. keep Waufle, Singletary, and Cecil the rest can take a hike.

That's Fisher not GW

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Pro for keeping him/staff: with lead, they can be as aggressive as any D in NFL. With creative blitz packages and personnel that can defeat anyone one on one, the front seven is respected around the league for the difficulty they represent.

Con against keeping him/staff: without lead, they are on field way too long, the "bend, don't break" philosophy can be exploited be ball control offenses to tire out the D and this makes closing out close games extraordinarily difficult for a D that has likely played 35 mins or more.

It's why teams all played us the same way. Take every point early, don't be proud. Slug out an early lead and ball control. Win the game in the second half.

If we have a new HC that puts a premium on scoring and the team improves significantly, including improving ToP, the only question that matters is this:

Do you believe that GW's D would be successful with better support from the offense (more points, playing with the lead, better Time of Possession, etc) or do you think that the defense's issues would still ultimately manifest regardless of the success of the offense (can be up by 24, but a ten yard cushion is s ten yard cushion and quick completions are how teams come back...)

I dunno. I see both sides, but I haven't put GW through my Pattern-o-meter. Can't really since I don't know who the HC of the OC is and without that... Too many variables. I'll maybe try for that overdue dead horse post...

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

Bradley would probably keep Barron at LB. He's basically Telvin Smith who excelled under him. Bradley would get the most out of MB.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Considering that the Browns are reported to hiring Gregg Williams, I don't blame him for wanting to keep his job here. :LOL: