I was for taking Eric Reid, but this guy was linked to Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
pre-draft in 2013. Now, I am not bragging, I miss on lots of college guys, but I didn't like Vaccaro, he just didn't impress me.

Report: Saints benching Kenny Vaccaro

Posted by Mike Wilkening on December 9, 2014, 9:20 PM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptuxnthjnjq5mzhlnzi3mjyynjvjmzbimmi3zgi1otmy-e1418177979409.jpeg
Getty Images
The Saints are reportedly benching their 2013 No. 1 pick.

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, the club has demoted strong safety Kenny Vaccaro.

The 23-year-old Vaccaro has started all 13 games this season, notching 66 tackles, defending five passes and securing two interceptions for 5-8 New Orleans. However,Pro Football Focus, an independent rating service, grades Vaccaro as the third-worst safety entering Week 15.

It’s unclear who will replace Vaccaro in the lineup. Ex-Viking Jamarca Sanfordwas listed as the top backup at strong safety on the depth chart released to media last week.

The benching of Vaccaro comes two days after the Saints fell 41-10 to Carolina. Though New Orleans remains in a tie for the NFC South lead, its play has fallen well short of expectations.

And now, it appears the club is making a major lineup change.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I was more Elam/Swearinger/and the guy the Jags got.....small school dude...Never understood the Vacarro hype...I thought Reid would be ok, but was over-valued...Glad we got TJ & Barron...that worked out great.....

jjab360

Legend
I liked Vacarro, more than Reid at least. Pretty athletic, made a lot of plays, Reid otoh looked like he had a slow reaction time to me, almost lethargic at times in college. Right now though, between the three I'd take McDonald by a country mile. Dude is playing out of his mind the past several weeks. He was supposed to be the no.1 guy heading into that season, but the whole USC defense looked bad and his stock took a hit because of it. Still the biggest, most athletic, and most instinctual between the three imo and now he's using all that talent like he's supposed to.

Alan

Legend
I wanted Reid too but it was a close call in my mind between him and Vaccarro.

Plus, I didn't think he'd be there when we picked and he wasn't.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I wouldn't give up McDonald for any safety in that draft at this point, but Vacarro had a great year last season and I'm sure it's just a sophomore slump, those tend to happen and he should be fine again next season. I don't think he was a bad pick for them.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I wouldn't give up McDonald for any safety in that draft at this point, but Vacarro had a great year last season and I'm sure it's just a sophomore slump, those tend to happen and he should be fine again next season. I don't think he was a bad pick for them.
Could also be his over-hyped bs DC trying to save his ass in anyway possible. Boy did we dodge a bullet there.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
I was pretty big on Reid. Wasn't really a Vaccarro fan.

Sheldon Richardson and Patterson were the guys I was really high on. I was a Tavon fan too, just wasn't sure about trading up for him. I wanted either Sheldon, Patterson or Tavon to fall to us at our original #16 spot. I think Warmack/Cooper were my backup plans in none of those three guys dropped.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
So glad we did not take Vaccaro and drafted Mcdonald instead because he looks like hes following in his daddy's footsteps.And if does half of what his father did we still have a multi pro bowl safety on the team.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I was a Tavon fan too

I'm pretty high on Tavon again. I was never down on him, per se, but it troubled me that we hadn't found his bread and butter explosive play yet. Tavon is seriously devastating on those jet sweeps, esp with Tre Mason threatening to run off tackle in the other direction to hold the LBs in place. I'd be shocked if we don't see a few more wrinkles like jet sweet reverses or jet sweep pivot in place like TA did against Chicago last year or perhaps fake jet sweeps followed by a play action fake and a screen to TA. Rule #1 in the NFL is that nobody wants to look silly on Sportscenter, and TA can seriously make folks look silly. The opposing D's sphincter muscles tighten just a little bit when they see #11 on the field.

I wouldn't give up McDonald for any safety in that draft at this point

I'm thrilled to death with TJ McD. He finally gets what Gregg Williams needs him to do, and he's doing it with devastating impact. And I still cannot believe the Rams got Mark Barron. We've gotten glimpses of what he can do, but he's another guy (like TJ McD and Ogletree) who should just crush it in the Gregg W defense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wasn't a Vaccaro guy either. My opinion of him was that he wasn't a good enough tackler or a physical enough player to play in the box at SS and wasn't a good enough zone defender to play the deep middle. As crazy as it sounded back then, my opinion was that whoever drafted him should move him to CB and teach him to press because the strongest part of his skill-set was his man coverage skills.

Reminded me of Michael Huff.

A55VA6

Legend
To be honest, I'm not so sure I'd give up McDonald for any safety in the league right now. Maybe a guy like Earl Thomas, but I'm thrilled with T.J. I think he's great already, and should be considered for the pro bowl (as should Donald) but we all know how that goes for Rams players...

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I was irked every time the Rams were linked to Vacarro in that draft. I thought his tackling was suspect and sure enough, it's a big reason why he's been benched.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I was more Elam/Swearinger/and the guy the Jags got.....small school dude...Never understood the Vacarro hype...I thought Reid would be ok, but was over-valued...Glad we got TJ & Barron...that worked out great.....

Barron for a 4th and 6th for that matter. A premium "in the box" guy who fits this scheme to a T. He's basically a LB'er hybrid. That's what what Armstrong was suppose to be. Boy we don't miss that guy. Him forgetting he was on the Raiders was pretty funny. It summed up why he was cut pretty well.

And hats off to Rodney McCleod.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wanted Warmack most of all in that draft. I have been beating the drum for years to get the line fixed. I won't stop.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I wanted Warmack most of all in that draft. I have been beating the drum for years to get the line fixed. I won't stop.
Me too, I really wanted Chance Warmack, Cooper or Warford. I wanted our O line totally fixed and have a stud on the inside. I still believe that we need that if we're going to be a ball control team.

I knew we needed a safety, never really paid much attention to McDonald, but I am definitely glad he's a Ram

I never got the Vacarro love, but figured it was impossible for every mock scout to be wrong, should have just gone with my gut.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I'm so thrilled we stayed away from that guy! I wasn't impressed with his film at all.... Loved me some Reid and Bacarr Rambo! Thankfully I'm not a GM because Rambo appears to not have worked out in Washington.