I want to raise a question about the Rams future at LOT...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
If the take a Left Tackle to groom to start and he doesn’t start until Whitworth’s contract is up, then they will only have two years of control once he starts and if the guy is any good, they will be in a bidding war for his talents.
There's no guarantee that Whitworth plays until his contract is up or that his level of play will sustain, he's 36 and had a minor injury towards the end of the season. I'd rather have a backup plan in place even if costs two years.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If the take a Left Tackle to groom to start and he doesn’t start until Whitworth’s contract is up, then they will only have two years of control once he starts and if the guy is any good, they will be in a bidding war for his talents.

I know the main subject here is @ LT but they may be looking at it this way too. Draft a OL'er who has a good bit of LT starts in college who also has the talent & versatility to play RT/LG/RG too. Snead has a pending serious event next year at this time that he will not have @ LT.......THREE starters in his OL will be UFA's at once! RT/RG & LG. So any smart NFL GM must have some kind of Ram Strategic Plan in place to follow in this event to remedy this major problem issue.

Since there is a time issue here thus meaning elements of this plan must be accomplished ahead of time in order to assist & diminish some of this problems next year. If a draft prospect comes close to meeting the desired talents & skills traits he must be secured in this draft so Kromer can have a full year to groom him to replace one of the three OL starters whom departs for other NFL teams.

Kromer might have a current OL'er capable of starting @ OG now in Austin Blythe (a third day draft selection of the Colts) who is now entering his third season with two NFL season under his belt with 24 total gms & 2 starts with several other gms where he finished as the starter. Blythe started one gm for the Colts @ RT & started @ LG for the Rams. In addition Blythe is under contract until FA.cy in 2020. So the OG post is in much better position than the OT posts IMO.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
we may have him on the roster.

Like the really tall guy 6’9”. Can’t remember his name.
Lucas....doubt he's a LT

I'm for drafting....I figure it's either a OLB or LT at 23...

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...confident-he-can-pull-his-weight-12721555.php

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/3/...eady-round-1-pick-nfl-combine-texas-longhorns

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-texas/article203156899.html

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/03/vikings-draft-prospect-microscope-texas-t-connor-williams/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-connor-williams-tackle-or-guard

Willaims-630x381.jpg

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Snead by now should have learned something about finding good fits in his OL. Snead used some serious Ram team assets to acquire a starting LT with the number 2 overall draft selection. That amounts to 2600 draft value points that never paid any dividends on the field. Snead also should remember he used four of his 2015 draft selections on OL'ers only two have paid any dividends at this point. So he went 50% in that event.

Snead's THREE best starting OL'ers in 2017 season, have been secured by signing them in Free agency. These three were well seasoned starters in their past when he signed them. So he is 100% on securing starting OL'ers in FA'cy. Not a bad record in OL FA'cy. Now when Snead reflects on his pass working history in this area.... think Snead will recall his record finding OL starters using the draft? or think maybe I will find a healthy veteran UFA starters by other means?

A brief history of Snead's team drafting abilities in securing good OL'ers since 2012 here with the Rams is not a bright record but may be close to the norm in overall NFL. Snead has drafted NINE OL'ers only two have had any success starting .Boudreau might have had something to do with that too. Havenstein & Browns were 2nd day draft choices. Rams only have one of them in this upcoming draft. Maybe our third #87 selection is being tuned for a swing OT?

Most here in this forum have voiced they have great faith in our new OL coach Kromer that he will be able to change the poor Rams recent past in finding good starting OL'ers on the third day of the draft.:notsure:

Personally I think The Rams are going to draft a OT early. Les Snead had a couple OG’s he wanted to draft in the 1st rd , that was unsuccessful.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not a bad first round selection @ #23 but would suspect that higher rated prospects will be on the board ahead of him. Most all draft sites now have him listed as a OG not OT. After his combine showing. Would guess his lack of length & the short arms approx 33 inches pretty much sealed the deal as a OLT prospect. His arms are shorter than Saffold's. Fact is he reminds me is size as a young Rodger Saffold. Thats not bad either.

But if he is a future excellent starting OLG who can play LT in an emergency then that not a bad way to go. The Rams might have two vacancies @ both OG posts this time next year & we might regret not drafting Conner Williams. But it still leaves the LT post an issue now @ Back up & the future starter as well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Personally I think The Rams are going to draft a OT early. Les Snead had a couple OG’s he wanted to draft in the 1st rd , that was unsuccessful.
Rams do have a major HOLE @ LT with only one reserve OT signed & under contract. Michael Dunn is that back up OT.

Can anyone name a bigger hole on the Ram roster currently?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Starting to favor trading down with the Browns or someone similar and picking up another 2nd and drafting a LT there. Even if Landry is there. Might be more value at it and have him sit and learn from Whit. If we can have him good to go in 2020 for 10+ years that will be worth it. Then pick up best BPA with other 2nd.

I dislike this OT class very much. Even Miller, who I like but is a bit of a project in that you can't assume he'll be a day one starter at LT, is projecting now to go before our pick at 23. Finding value at the position is going to be exceptionally difficult in this draft.

If I were the GM the way I'd look at it is we have two drafts to rebuild this OL outside of whomever is signed long-term. That means LT as well as at least one OG position and maybe RT too. So here's what I'd do:

1. Get Havenstein locked up with a contract extension. He isn't an elite RT but he's solid and works his butt off to be better. This eliminates one side from consideration at the toughest to find positions on the OL. This won't be cheap but it also should not be cost prohibitive.

2. Draft at least one OG. I say "at least" because I'd plan on also "paying" one of the OGs on a longer contract. If you feel internally like that isn't doable for either signability or due to contracts coming up then you plan on bringing in another guy in the draft and hope you hit on him. These guys can be found midrounds, and it's also a position that has some good value in this draft. But it's also a position they can address midrounds next year's draft. So minimum this year is one draftee.

3. Plan on going after your LT next year's draft. Even if you have to move up a bit, you do what you gotta do. With this move they should be mostly sound overall. Center still might loom as an issue long-term, but like with OG it's a position you can address midrounds in most drafts and we have a coach I trust to move the interior types around and coach them up.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’ve read that the ‘19 draft class might be strong at LOT. Maybe 6-8 as starters through the 2nd round, although we don’t have a 2nd, of course.

Maybe our future Whit replacement will be playing on Saturdays this season?

Perhaps we just “make do” this year?

Incidentally, keeping our ‘19 first rounder for LOT is yet another excellent reason not to make that OBJ trade?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Most all draft sites now have him listed as a OG not OT. After his combine showing. Would guess his lack of length & the short arms approx 33 inches pretty much sealed the deal as a OLT prospect. His arms are shorter than Saffold's. Fact is he reminds me is size as a young Rodger Saffold. Thats not bad either.
Yeah...short arms...light weight too...but I wouldn't worry about a big guy gaining 20 lbs of muscle....Short arms...injury issue...light weight.

But the guy has LT movement skills....and the right attitude....

Either Williams or Carter the OLB....and I'd like to trade back to grab either....don't know if that's possible.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Another reason to find Whitworth's potential replacement sooner rather than later is that Whitworth's role as mentor is invaluable. The Rams will need a LT eventually, why not groom him by one of the best.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams do have a major HOLE @ LT with only one reserve OT signed & under contract. Michael Dunn is that back up OT.

Can anyone name a bigger hole on the Ram roster currently?

PERFECT POINT

I yelled that point at Les Snead last season. There is no depth at all . I believed you that Andrew Donnell might be able to get coached up coming into his 3rd year.

This year the cupboard is bare

Ram65

Legend
Cornelius Lucas is un-signed/non-tendered UFA

That's not good unless he is testing the market. Some thought he looked good the little he played last year. His signing is something to look out for. Without him the Rams need at least a serviceable backup LT. They also need to get Havenstein's extension done but that may be easier said than done with the free agency madness.

Rams have to look far and wide for OT help. They still need the edge rusher or a LBer like Evans that can move around and rush the passer. Seems like the Rams are all in this year making defense the first round pick. Rams could go 3 and 6 for OT at the least. Brian O'Neill or Tyrell Crosby are round 2-3 draft prospects. They may have to move up though. They have to do something in the draft.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Draft a left tackle in 2019 or 2020.

They may draft a right tackle or right guard this year if they expect Brown and Havenstein to cost too much in free agency next winter. Or maybe if they don’t like one of them that much. Thy did try to swap the two of them last summer. So there is something that they felt wasn’t optimal.

What about moving bionic shoulder Saffold to LT and drafting a guard?

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Theirs a few good developmental OTs outside the 1st round in this coming draft like Parker, Harrison, Kappa, O'Neill, Parris, Senat etc. I could see the Rams grabbing one to learn behind Big Whit for a year or two.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
He always gets injured when he plays tackle. Besides, he is a kick ass guard.
I'll give you both points. But the dude has terminator arms since the surgeries. I'm betting he could kick ass at LT too and take the pressure off the FO for a bit. Not my first option, but a possibility if nothing comes to us.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Another reason to find Whitworth's potential replacement sooner rather than later is that Whitworth's role as mentor is invaluable. The Rams will need a LT eventually, why not groom him by one of the best.

That's a really good point shovel. If only there were some highly valued guys for where we'll be picking. I just don't want to see them reach and overlook what should be a very good player at another position.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That's a really good point shovel. If only there were some highly valued guys for where we'll be picking. I just don't want to see them reach and overlook what should be a very good player at another position.
I "high fived" shovel's post too....The information coming out last season in bit & pieces indicated that Andrew Whitworth had a good amount of input with Kromer on the finer details of OL play in addition to John Sullivan.One example was Andrew working with Goff on his tendency to drift back from the LOS in pass situations & Andrew work hard with him getting Goff to refrain from his drifting but do the opposite & step by step moved up into the pocket so he & Rob can push the pass rushers back & away from the throwing arm of Goff. As the season went on Goff learned to trust the pocket more & more.

I am on record of not favoring the selection of OL'ers with the first pick now, but while the aging well seasoned all pro LT Andrew Whitworth is here & playing he can have a serious impact on a coach-able young LT who has skills & talents close to what AW had physically.

While the immediate pay off will be absent unlike a dynamic Edge Rusher this season if a LT were to be selected but the five yr long term dividends stand to pay off greatly for Goff's future .....making a LT a possibility consideration. I like the trade down option if all the Edge Rushers are off the board or NT Payne but if the Rams are left with undesirables, picking a future LT is a very good ideal.

In conclusion I do not see any real BPA LT's prospects in round one & would look for a trade down would be the best option.

Last edited: