I think this one was on McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
And I think he will learn from it. He seems to be the type that sees when he does something wrong and works to correct it.

Maybe next year when the last game is meaningless let the starters play a little to make sure they aren't rusty.

Maybe next year stick with the type of playcalling that got you the division crown and a home field playoff game.

The team looked out of sorts and panicky the entire second half. After battling back into the game by halftime they just froze up. We can pick some individual moments and plays that made a difference but the O just didn't get it done.

13 points will win you about 1 out of 30 games, maybe not even that. And a 3 point second half is a bad job all around.

Next year will be different.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Lots of blame to spread around. Starting with equipment manager. From the outset of the game players were slipping and sliding and losing their footing because they didn't have the appropriate cleats. Cooper not fielding the ball cleanly, not getting Gurley going, Goff off target, not seeing open guys. McVay play calling.

Rams season was no fluke. They deserved a playoff game, just got out coached and out played.

I'm a happy camper with the Rams season and looking forward to the off season.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Hard to do anything on offense when your special teams gives up two turnovers in your own territory, and you have the ball for 20 minutes vs your opponents 40. Just saying.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I thought Atlanta's defense was covering all of the successful plays we ran during the season very well. They were sitting on that screen to Gurley all game, and they were taking away the underneath stuff with surprising precision. They studied. They for sure studied up for this one. Goff was a bit off of his game early on, because there were some opportunities there that weren't executed. I'll concede that there wasn't enough Gurley in this one, but only because there wasn't any cohesiveness in the passing game. When you see that the QB is having to hurry his throws, and that they're loading up the box to rush the passer while stopping the run, then you have to try and impose your will with run blocking. It's what linemen like to do best, and they're doing it for the best RB in the league.

Ellard80

Legend
Atlanta has a good defense and we gave them 13 pts of of turnovers. Maybe McVay didn't have his best game - but those turnovers (like they are in 85% of NFL games) were the difference.

If you are playing a bad team, or a bad defensive team - you can sometimes get away with those mistakes.

But two in one game - in the playoffs- against a team of Atlanta's caliber.

You're not winning.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I dunno, those two ST turnovers were absolutely devastating to the defense and denied the offense two possessions

Not sure I can heap that on McVay

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
In crunch time, Atlanta was running it up our wazoo at five to six yards a clip with two different running backs.

If you can't stop the run you don't advance in the playoffs.
Period.

That should be our biggest offseason priority.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Teams win as a team and teams lose as a team.

Not stopping the run.
The turnovers.
Not getting our offense on track.
Our playoff inexperience.
Ryan is good.
Outcoached.

Take your pick but the overall result is a TEAM loss.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cooper wasn't ready for prime time. Ogletree had a big missed tackle and looked lazy on a few plays and that's unusual for him . Some big dropped passes and Atlanta shortened the game in the second half after Brockers went down .
We need a run stuffing inside LB .

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Cooper wasn't ready for prime time. Ogletree had a big missed tackle and looked lazy on a few plays and that's unusual for him . Some big dropped passes and Atlanta shortened the game in the second half after Brockers went down .
We need a run stuffing inside LB .
Boom

That missed tackle pretty much sealed their fate, I like 52, but I’d like him a lot better as our number 2 LB

Our most pressing need by far in my humble opinion

Last edited:

Ramer

Been a Ram fan too long to quit now
Teams win as a team and teams lose as a team.

Not stopping the run.
The turnovers.
Not getting our offense on track.
Our playoff inexperience.
Ryan is good.
Outcoached.

Take your pick but the overall result is a TEAM loss.

I agree, but if you remove the "turnovers" from the list most likely we come on top as a team.... but totally agree it was a team lost, mainly ST lost.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Not a fan of McVay’s gameplanning when he gets too Martzian with the pass and it isn’t working; hope he learned that from this game

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
They got out played in all 3 phases of the game.

That first series 2nd and 2 and had 2 bad pass plays, should have been a Gurley start and move the sticks.
Only 1 of those ST turn-overs was Coopers and they should have covered one of them but apparently Jefferson doesn't know how to cover a ball on the ground.
At this point Hibee isn't good enough, that dropped TD was the chance they had to get momentum late in the game.
Watkins doesn't seem to have the heart to fight for contested balls, I thought he would come on but he waits for the ball instead of going after it.
Not sure how bad Brokers' injury is but that was a huge blow to the DL, not stopping their offense in the second half was the worst thing that happened. They controlled the clock and put up point the Rams could not match.

Great year, they will have opportunities in the next 5 years to be great.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
And I think he will learn from it. He seems to be the type that sees when he does something wrong and works to correct it.

Maybe next year when the last game is meaningless let the starters play a little to make sure they aren't rusty.

Maybe next year stick with the type of playcalling that got you the division crown and a home field playoff game.

The team looked out of sorts and panicky the entire second half. After battling back into the game by halftime they just froze up. We can pick some individual moments and plays that made a difference but the O just didn't get it done.

13 points will win you about 1 out of 30 games, maybe not even that. And a 3 point second half is a bad job all around.

Next year will be different.

I don't think resting his starters had anything to do with the loss. Inexperience was our problem last night.
We can second guess his decision all we want but if Goff or Gurley got hurt in that last game the pitchforks would have come out and people would be yelling for McVays head.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't think resting his starters had anything to do with the loss. Inexperience was our problem last night.
We can second guess his decision all we want but if Goff or Gurley got hurt in that last game the pitchforks would have come out and people would be yelling for McVays head.
Yep. The classic damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

nighttrain

Legend
"Great year, and they will have many more opportunities in the next fifteen years to be great."
:yay:
train

Last edited: