I think the "Under the Radar" aspect is shrinking......

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
We came into this season as a theoretical 8-8 team. We as Rams fans thought better for the most part. Now, the rest of the league and media are starting to eyeball us hard and serious. They are seeing what we did... a team, that if the O Line played half decently, would be a force to be reckoned with. While we still have some questions, especially on D, we are seeing the potential for some NFC dominance.

Sorry, undefeated Seahawks and Packers: Rams are NFC's best team
Published: Oct 15, 2020 at 03:20 PM
Headshot_Author_Adam Rank_2019_png

Adam Rank
NFL.com Writer

Wyche: Top storylines leading up to Rams-49ers in Week 6

Listen, I don't try to live my life as a contrarian. That's not true -- I kind of do. I've spent a lot of time in public houses and taverns, and I've heard a lot of the sports world's most popular opinions. Sometimes, I think it's best to take a look at the other side.
In this space, I articulate positions that are the opposite of what most people think -- unpopular opinions, if you will -- and explain why, well, my unpopular opinions are right and everyone else is wrong. Below, I explain why the NFC's best team isn't who you think it is:

The 5-0 Seattle Seahawks and 4-0 Green Bay Packers are the NFC's last remaining undefeateds. But I'm here to tell you that neither one is the conference's top team.
That's right. In this moment, five weeks into an unprecedented, pandemic-shaped season, the NFC's best outfit is ...
The 4-1 Los Angeles Rams.
And if you want to respond with, "LOL, they are the best team in the NFC East," that is fair. After all, each of the Rams' four wins have come against the downtrodden division. Yup, L.A.'s performed a clean sweep of the NFL's current version of Madden on rookie level.
This week should have presented the Rams an opportunity to post a statement win, with Los Angeles traveling north for a showdown with the San Francisco 49ers. A clash of the last two NFC champs! In the stand-alone spotlight of Sunday Night Football!!

But of course, the Niners significantly de-hyped this prime-time affair with their effort last Sunday, when they were absolutely humiliated at home by the Miami Dolphins. That would be like the WWE building a WrestleMania main event of Roman Reigns vs. Brock Lesnar, only to have Lesnar lose a match the week prior to David Otunga. Kinda takes a little bit of the shine away.
That said, the Rams will take care of business on Sunday night by beating the 49ers on their own field. Because L.A. is the best team in the NFC. In fact, this is Sean McVay's best group yet. Allow me to explain ...
Again, at first blush, wins over the NFC East aren't going to be held in the highest esteem. (I mean it's not like the gauntlet the Packers have faced, with wins over the 1-4 Vikings, 1-3 Lions and 0-5 Falcons. Or that murderer's row of (mostly) sub-.500 teams dismissed by the Seahawks.) Take a deeper look at the Rams' road thus far, though, and you might not be so quick to scoff. Los Angeles has played three road games in the Eastern time zone, in that early window that can be trouble for West Coast teams -- when the game kicks off at 10 a.m. PT. But the Rams have scored at least 30 points in all three of those games. In fact, they have scored more points in each of those roadies than they've posted in their two home wins. In the McVay era (going back to 2017), the Rams are 6-1 in early-window games in the Eastern time zone. And they'd be undefeated if their furious rally at Buffalo in Week 3 hadn't been nullified by a controversial pass interference call. (I'm sure Saints fans were all broken up over that development ...)
I've also been impressed with Jared Goff this season. Russell Wilson is finally getting a chance to cook, with the Seahawks' poor defense. And Aaron Rodgers can't pass up an opportunity to let everyone know how great he is, bragging to Pat McAfee that his down years are better than most guy's career seasons. But Goff has played well, especially in comparison to last year, when he looked like West Coast Trubisky much of the time. After posting a 100-plus passer rating in just four games total in 2019, Jared has reached triple digits in each of the past four contests. That's the QB's longest such streak since he went five straight in 2018 -- you know, the season when the Rams hit the Super Bowl. (Do Russ and Rodgers remember what the Super Bowl was like?) Goff's current passer rating sits at a sparkling 108.8, he's completed nearly 72 percent of his throws and he leads the NFL with a yards-per-attempt figure of 9.0. Goff might not be everyone's first choice when choosing a quarterback (in fantasy or reality), but the freshly minted 26-year-old's still pretty darn good. Like a Sami Zayn type, if I can borrow from the WWE again.
The offense as a whole is scoring more points (27.2 ppg) than last year (24.6). Darrell Henderson, Malcolm Brown and rookie Cam Akers have done a good job of replacing Todd Gurley, though it's a tough backfield for fantasy managers to navigate. I'll see if I can talk to McVay about that. Meanwhile, Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Gerald Everett and Tyler Higbee comprise about as solid a pass-catching group as you can ask for. Most importantly, though, the big guys up front have rebounded from a disastrous, injury-riddled 2019 campaign that saw the offensive line finish the regular season as Pro Football Focus' second-worst unit. In 2020, the Rams' O-line boasts top-10 grades in both run- and pass-blocking.
Hanzus: Goff, Aaron Donald helped Rams leap up in Week 6 Power Rankings

Let's talk about that defense, though. This is what unquestionably separates the Rams from their division rival Seahawks. And while the Packers definitely possess a better defense than Seattle, they don't have anybody like Aaron Donald. Nobody does. In fact, with everyone throwing around early MVP candidates these days, Donald deserves to be in that conversation. He tied a career-high with four sacks in last week's blowout of the Washington Football Team. With a league-high 7.5 sacks, he's on pace for 24, which would break Hall of Famer Michael Strahan's single-season mark (22.5). The Rams, who are 10-1 in the McVay era when they have at least five sacks, finished Sunday with eight sacks -- and they have 17 over the past three weeks. They also limited the Football Team to 108 yards total. That's the fewest yards the franchise has yielded in a game since holding the Archie Manning-led Saints to 96 in November of 1980. In addition to Donald, the Rams boast one of the very best cover men in the game today: Jalen Ramsey, the 25-year-old with three Pro Bowls nods and the biggest DB contract in NFL history. Not a bad guy to have in today's pass-happy league.
And one thing that really stands out to me: Sean McVay's team does not blow leads. Like, ever. The Rams are 29-0 when leading at halftime in the McVay era -- the only NFL team without such a loss since 2017. I know Falcons fans are probably asking what that is like, because it's a world they've never known. But it's so impressive to me and shows that the high praise we give McVay might not be effusive enough.

So, even with one loss -- and it shouldn't have been a loss, but whatever -- give me the Rams over any other team in the NFC.

Psycho_X

Legend
If we can just have some luck with the injury gods this year we have potential to go all the way. Our defense gets a little better every week.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks like the petals are off the under-the-radar rose, fellas... It's gonna be a fight till the end, so get your brass knucks out of storage....

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Just throwing it out there Adam Rank is a Rams homer. Much the same as Michael Silver. Silver will come out with some Jared Goff has recreated himself story halfway through the season.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just throwing it out there Adam Rank is a Rams homer. Much the same as Michael Silver. Silver will come out with some Jared Goff has recreated himself story halfway through the season.
"And WHAT, pray tell, is wrong with being a homer?" ~ @Merlin

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We keep telling other fans we’re the best but no body listens lol

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Adam Rank's always entertaining lol. (y)

tempests

Hall of Fame
Just throwing it out there Adam Rank is a Rams homer.

He was a Rams fan in the 80s but bailed out and roots for the Bears now. For as quickly as he climbed on board the Rams bandwagon we can be assured he's the first one jumping off if they don't play well Sunday Night.

London_Ram

Rookie
Rank's article each week is taking an unpopular view and supporting it even if he doesn't believe it himself.

Saying that we are appearing from underneath the radar. To me the one thing that can still be thrown our way (and a view I hold to an extent) is we've only beaten the NFC East who are an abomination.

Yep, you can only beat the teams on your schedule but until we beat a better team there will be that question mark against us.

Give it another week or so, and provided we keep winning, no one could justifiably still be sleeping on us.

SubZero405

UDFA
I like the fact that he mentions the schedules and we should be 5-0. The Packers and Seahawks have played teams with bad records just as we have. Seattle had 3 close games with said teams. For a lot of people thinking we were going to miss the playoffs at 8-8, I think we are far exceeding those expectations and as long as we are healthy we will make some noise in the playoffs.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
People need to remember that the NFC least has basically run through the buzz saw known as the NFC West....thus their records. I seriously doubt you see the same futility in that division if they had opened the season against literally any other division.